GG: Drama Actress

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Ah, yes, The Player. Another stupid Academy omission. I guess it hit too close to home.
My favorite piece of dialog from The Player:

"I'll get right back to you after my AA meeting."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you had a drinking problem."

"I don't, really. It's just that's where they're making all the big deals these days."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Ah, yes, The Player. Another stupid Academy omission. I guess it hit too close to home.

The S.O.B. complex.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236783496
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, yes, The Player. Another stupid Academy omission. I guess it hit too close to home.
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

Big Magilla wrote:How many dual New York Film Critics/Golden Globe winners have been shut out at the Oscars? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Paul Newman who won both best director awards for Rachel, Rachel but failed t get an Oscar nod.

Why can't I leave a question like that alone? Why do I have to search for the answers? I guess it's beyond my control...

There are three dual NYFCC/Globe winners that failed to receive an Oscar nomination:

Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky (best acrtess)
Paul Newman, Rachel Rachel (best director)
The Player (best picture)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Interestingly, Margaret Laurence, the author of Jest of God (1966), the book upon which Rachel, Rachel is based, committed suicide in 1987 while suffering from terminal lung cancer.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236355858
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From my DVD Report of 2/17:

Warner Bros. has released several films in what it is calling the Paul Newman Film Series. The films are not part of a set but are being released separately.

Newman made his directorial debut with 1968’s Rachel, Rachel in which he directed wife Joanne Woodward to an Oscar nomination and both of them to New York Film Critics and Golden Globes awards. Woodward, in arguably her best screen performance, plays a repressed small-town schoolteacher who lives with her domineering widowed mother. The film, which has taken twelve years to be released on DVD, was in bad need of restoration which it’s quietly gotten for this release. Almost as good as Woodward are Estelle Parson, also Oscar nominated, as her friend, a fellow schoolteacher; Kate Harrington as her selfish mother; and James Olson as the man with whom she has a brief affair.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Paul Newman who won both best director awards for Rachel, Rachel but failed t get an Oscar nod.

What a shamefully underrated film. Rachel, Rachel is one of those hidden gems of the late 60's. Joanne Woodward captures the small-time loneliness and depression of a middle-aged schoolteacher at a moment of personal crisis in quite a haunting way and Estelle Parsons is also impressive as her equally repressed co-worker, albeit for different reasons. Great first time direction by Paul Newman (in fact, it's probably one of the best debut directorial efforts by an actor-turned-director). I own it on VHS (along with Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams), but has this film been released yet on DVD and if not, why?

Edited By flipp525 on 1236352443

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Taking it a step further, none of the Golden Globe female winning performances were nominated if you consider that Winslet's winning supporting performance was nominated in a different category.

I had forgotten that Hawkins even won. How many dual New York Film Critics/Golden Globe winners have been shut out at the Oscars? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Paul Newman who won both best director awards for Rachel, Rachel but failed t get an Oscar nod.
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

I know it's a bit late for funny facts, but I just discovered a foot note in this year's race worth mentionning:

This year, for the first time in the Golden Globe's history, neither of the two winning performances in the leading actress category were nominated for the Oscars (Kate Winset in Revolutionairy Road and Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky)

I don't want to use this against the Golden Globes, I just thought this was an historic fact that might interest you :-)

And I checked: it really never happened before...
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

This Golden Globe thing, choosing her as the winner in both categories, thogh nice in the show, most likely will work against her.

If something has been proeved by the Academy is that they don't want to play the exact same game as the precursors. Considering that a lot people think the precursors steal some of the excitement of the big night, and how unoriginal the academy would be if they follow the same steps taken by all those associations (so called "precursors") then we must expect some shocking things.

If they feel some preassure to do some specific thing, then it is likely they just won't do so. Remember Brokeback Mountain...

In fact, Babel was in some kind of a cloud ride to the Oscar for Best Picture and in the end the best thing that could happened to Martin Scorsese was loosing on both the BAFTA and at the Globes and also it's low profile showing at the precursors. Dreamgirls was the sure thing last year and see what happened in the end. Even Eddie Murphy suffered from this. Kate Hudson was unstoppable, daughter of Goldie and the little prom queen of award's season, she lost to the out of nowhere Marcia. The Aviator was the film to beat and Million Dollar Baby did it. And the best example of all is Brokeback... the more I think of it the homophobic story makes less sense. That was the film that everyone scream out HAD to win the Oscar, and they, as the serious members of the Academy, Lords of the last word, doesn't like the preassure and let us know in a hard way, even if that meant giving the award of the then considered 2nd (but faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar behind) best.

So, I'm getting worried for both Winslet (this last minute sure love and sense of overdue) and Ledger. The same goes for Slumdog... too much love can kill you.

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1232077573
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I meant post-nomination. Using LD and NK as examples was confusing. Big Magilla is correct, she is not one to pick one over the other. But if she was looking at losing both would she be able to put out a message through the grapevine?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

abcinyvr wrote:If DiCaprio put out the word that he wanted to be nominated for Blood Diamond and not The Departed - and Nicole Kidman did a similar thing choosing Moulin Rouge over The Others - could Kate Winslet not let it be known that she would prefer one nomination over the other were she to be nomninated for two, as anticipated. Or could that backfire?
DiCaprio and Kidman were going against themselves, though. None of those performances were considered supporting, and couldn't have been. Winslet has already figured a way out of this by pushing one for supporting.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think she would do that. Both were labors of love. It would be liking choosing one child over another, Revolutionary Road, the project she nurtured, even got her husband to direct and the one she was honored to be hired to do. She'll be nominated for both.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

If DiCaprio put out the word that he wanted to be nominated for Blood Diamond and not The Departed - and Nicole Kidman did a similar thing choosing Moulin Rouge over The Others - could Kate Winslet not let it be known that she would prefer one nomination over the other were she to be nomninated for two, as anticipated. Or could that backfire?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:As I said in the other thread. It can happen, I don't think it will, but it could. And After last night, I think the chances of it happening improve slightly, but it also increases the chances that she'll lose both. The reason I say that is not that the record-minded Academy voters won't go that route, but that some who hate to set precedent or set new records will actively work against it. There are voters who I'm sure wouldn't want to do what the Globes did. So, while it increases the thought that "maybe she could" in many voters' minds, there will be some who work for and against the notion.

After all, with a likely 7 nominations under her belt at the exceedingly young age of 33, the chances of her winning increase dramatically. But which role will she win for? Both are dramatically strong from all I've heard (still only seen Revolutionary Road) and with not-as-strong-as-we-originally-thought competition in both categories, it is more conceivable now than it was a week or more ago that she could do it. Again, I think voters will honor her in the category she has been nominated in more, Best Actress, as a way of deciding. But, the question is, which PYT will they go for? Penelope Cruz? or Anne Hathaway? Or will they go another direction. Right now, only SAG can truly point the way.
Ok, I must admit that this is an intelligent and balanced view of the situation and its possible solutions.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”