Post by Big Magilla »

Ditto.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

barrybrooks8 wrote:Hi everyone.

Yeah, I'm not ok.

Barry
Barry I hope things get better for you quickly.

Cheers!!
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Don't be so hard on yourself, Barry. It sounds like you're going through some stuff, and tabulating scores to a game is not the most important task in the world. I'm glad Sonic Youth took it upon himself to take over the task, but I'm also just as glad that you volunteered to run the contest because if nobody had it wouldn't have happened at all.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Hi everyone.

Yeah, I'm not ok.

I still haven't added anything up. I really haven't access to much of the world around me for a couple of weeks now. Sorry for ruining the game and I'm glad someone did the math. My scoresheets are at home and I'm not at home but when I get there I will double-check everything.

Obviously, please exclude me from the games.

Barry
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I did far worse on the contest than I did the night of the Awards. Our contest was 5 points if you picked the winner, 3 if the winner was your second choice. Of course, we all missed Departures, and wishful thinking led me to Streep, not Winslet, and I missed the cartoon. I got 98 points out of 120; the winner got 106. Everyone did well, except for three who were in the 60s.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I sure hope barrybrooks is OK.

Hats off to the winners. It was a tough year to win; a mediocre score was going to leave you way out of contention.

I hate to have wasted getting two of the three blind luck categories right in a year I wasn't closer to the top.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Congrats to the winners and by the way, I would like to know the results from previous contests if someone have them.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Awesome...I came last.

Edited By jack on 1236079134
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Congratulations to Sabin and Sonic Youth!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Allow me to be the first to say, damn!

I haven't made dumb choices like going against Slumdog for Sound Mixing and Penelope Cruz for Supporting Actress in a while...that's like picking Shohreh Aghdashloo, just desperately looking for alternative. How did I pick Departures and not Cruz? This is my strongest all-time showing.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Sonic Youth wrote:Rain Bard, had you not gone out on a limb with that one category - I think I know which one you mean - you would also have placed first. Instead, you must settle for a runner-up position. That'll teach you, you impetuous madman, you.
Well, since I won outright last year, I'm not disappointed in this showing at all. One must follow hunches, even if they lead off the map...

Thanks for counting, Sonic, and good job to both you and Sabin (who picked Departures so I'm particularly impressed)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry, you're right.

I can't explain the mis-spelling other than to say the H is next to the J on the keyboard and the p is next to the o. That's better than a lot of the typos I catch and fix before I usually send! Have you seen Outsourced? It does sound like IHOP, though, doesn't it? It could well have been one of those Indian bastardizations of American restaurants in that film.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:I believe I had 85 points unless you're deducting for the mistyped spelling of the best song winner.

I knew this was going to happen.

Wait, I'll double-check....

EDIT: I'm still counting 81, Magilla. Double-check for yourself?

That WAS pretty egregious spelling. "Hai Hop", is that an Indian pancake chain restaurant?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1236061046
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Congrats to me and Sabin, you mean. I initially miscounted his score.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I believe I had 85 points unless you're deducting for the mistyped spelling of the best song winner.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”