81st Oscars: Original Score

Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I have a burned copy of Benjamin Button's score, but have yet to put in the player. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get to it.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Seriously, have you guys heard this Benjamin Button score? Listened to it on its own? How Desplat makes something so otherworldly sad and eschew easy sentimentality like Alan Silvestri's Gump score is beyond me. He is truly one of the great composers of our time...which means he will never win an Oscar.
"How's the despair?"
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

James Newton Howard deserved to win for Defiance.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just listened to the scores for WALL*E and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...

Thomas Newman's score for WALL*E is his best since American Beauty and the first since to avoid pale comparison. He's a great composer but has too often fallen into retread this decade. His work in Finding Nemo especially underwhelmed me, so I was surprised at how lifting his score for WALL*E was.

The more I listen to it though, I might have to cast my vote for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The film evokes the alien sensation of throttling backwards from one end of mortality to the other in a way the film doesn't entirely dare. Alexander Desplat is one of the most ingenious composers today and this is a heavy-lifting score. Instead of the fatalism of the thing, his music cues emphasize the eeriness of encountering this oddity of nature. I love this music.
"How's the despair?"
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Poor Thomas Newman...here's hope for Original Song. Fat chance.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Slumdog Millionaire
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”