How Would You Rate the Show?

How Would You Rate the Show?

1...Absolutely dreadful. Worst night I've ever spent watching the Oscars.
No votes
2...It failed more often than it worked.
4%
3...Not the best Oscars ever, but certainly not the worst.
2%
4...It worked more often than it failed.
48%
5...Absolutely fantastic. One of the best Oscarcasts in history.
46%

Total votes: 48

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The novelty would be lost but the surprise could remain if the stars are kept secret until show time. Think of the fun we could have trying to guess which former winners would do the honors. Who, for example, will come out for Hilary Swank in Amelia next year when she'll be going for her third Oscar?

And, with this kind of presentation, who knows? We might finally get to see Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine again!
Haha!. Are you sure you´re not dreaming Pen?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We've probably seen the last of Olivia and Joan, but if they did appear to support rival nominees the press would have a field day saying the rivalry continues, especially if Joan's candidate wins. I can just see the headlines "Olivia refuses to speak to Joan again after Joan's candidate wins!"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:The novelty would be lost but the surprise could remain if the stars are kept secret until show time. Think of the fun we could have trying to guess which former winners would do the honors. Who, for example, will come out for Hilary Swank in Amelia next year when she'll be going for her third Oscar?
And, with this kind of presentation, who knows? We might finally get to see Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine again!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The novelty would be lost but the surprise could remain if the stars are kept secret until show time. Think of the fun we could have trying to guess which former winners would do the honors. Who, for example, will come out for Hilary Swank in Amelia next year when she'll be going for her third Oscar?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:While I suspect the twenty former winners thing will become old hat in time there is enough momentum for it to continue to delight us for at least one or two more years. Given the mostly positive response, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more former winners weren't already volunteering their services for next year's show.
But the surprise effect would be lost already. That was the main surprise this year. Maybe it would be better to have that reserved for every ten or five years... if soemthing must be come a trend is the fact to keep the old school present at the ceremony. The Best Actor award, might be handed every year by previous best actress along wth some former winner (actress or actor), with the clips back. I mean, it would be nice to see next year Kate along with Hackman, Pacino or Keaton or Burstyn to present some of the two leading acting awards, or for that matter Penn with Jodie Foster, Emma Thompson or Sally Field...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Anyway, let's face it, it was a flop. I am the only one who will have the courage to say this, I know - but it was.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I saw my first Oscar show fifty years ago and have seen all the shows of the last forty-one years.

My favorites, as I've said elsewhere, were the 1958, 1964, 1967 and 1968 shows. While there have certainly been some nice moments in the last forty years this is the first show that as a whole captures the magic of that experience and in some ways surpasses it. I hope it doesn't take another forty years for another great one to come along.

Next year has the potential to surpass this one. There really aren't all that many kinks to work out - the In Memoriam sequence and the multiple presentations by one person are really the only major ones. Maybe next year they can get Liza, Barbra and Bette to perform along with Hugh, Beyonce and Latifah.

While I suspect the twenty former winners thing will become old hat in time there is enough momentum for it to continue to delight us for at least one or two more years. Given the mostly positive response, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more former winners weren't already volunteering their services for next year's show.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I voted for "one of the best" but I do think they need to work out how to present "in memoriam" and dance sequences, as far as camera angles are concerned. Some of the dance shots were too long (far away) and some of the names couldn't be clearly seen in the tribute. Other than that, it was a great show. The past winners presenting acting honors, the hosting by Jackman and the clips shown during tech nominees, as well as a nice set/stage. And nearly everyone dressed well.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m one of those who think that the show was absolutely fantastic. It was one of the best Oscarcasts in history.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You decide.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”