81st Oscars: Original Song

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It is.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

From Wikipedia:

"Jai Ho" was originally composed for the 2008 film Yuvvraaj, but was turned down by director Subhash Ghai who thought the song was not suitable for actor Zayed Khan to perform onscreen.[1] After its inclusion in Slumdog Millionaire, it was later nominated for best song at the 2008 Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards, the 2008 Satellite Awards and at the 2008 Houston Film Critics Society Awards. In 2009, it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, beating out WALL-E's "Down to Earth" by Peter Gabriel, and "O... Saya", also of Slumdog Millionaire and by A. R. Rahman.[2]

__
Wasn't this the same reason that disqualified "Come What May" back in 2001?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:My Indian friend who was watching with us scorned him whenever Efron said Rahman's name (pronouncing it with a hard "h" sound) - she said Efron turned it into an Arabic name.
Actually Rahman IS an Arabic name and that is the correct way to pronounce it. However, the ''h'' can also be pronounced softly as it is amongst Indian and Pakistani Muslims.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It almost sounded to me like Keys and Efron were saying "Rachman."
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Aww no Rahman was cute! He was like a little gnome man. Annoying or not, he is a musical genius.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Slumdog songs performances was horrible.. Rahman was annoying.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Alicia Keys also pronounced it that way during the Score presentation I believe. I wasn't sure if they were right and the earlier awards shows had been wrong, or what.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Oh and I was disappointed Efron didn't even have to read out M.I.A.'s real name (Maya Arulpragasam)...THAT would have been fun!
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

My Indian friend who was watching with us scorned him whenever Efron said Rahman's name (pronouncing it with a hard "h" sound) - she said Efron turned it into an Arabic name.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't have any idea if he can act, because I've never seen him in anything, but I think Zac Efron kind of has a Classic Movie Star vibe about him. Made for a good presenter, I thought.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

My quote from Original Score:

"Poor Thomas Newman...here's hope for Original Song. Fat chance."

Fat chance, indeed. Almost a wasted year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jai Ho - Slumdog Millionaire
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”