The Show - What can we expect

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, I think it might be cheesy, but fun if we had:

The Academy Awards: Survivor. And you had 24 presenters starting out the show. And each time an award came up, one was voted off and had to present that award. So, they were basically competing to present Best Picture. And they would be Oscar-related challenges...Trivia, holding an Oscar by their teeth for the longest, etc. :) They could turn it into a 24-week challenge leading up to the Oscars. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Some aspects to consider in a near future: 1) The length conspired against the reedom. 2) The absence of the surprise factor during the ceremony (with the exception of Penn´s win and the Japanese film) was a hard bone to eat. The best: The presentations in the acting categories. Brilliant! I think that we have legitimated a space in which our old glories could appear. The worse thing. so many prizes offered by a same person. (Will Smith announced 4 awards! and Sarah Jessica parker and Daniel Craig 3!)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

It Seems. Doesn´t it?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ben Stiller?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:
anonymous wrote:I think the "dick" was Eddie Murphy.

I have to say GREAT SHOW. The only thing I did not like was the repetitive generic theme that kept on playing every time a winner comes up the stage in lieu of the theme song of the movie the winner won for. That's the ONLY thing I disliked. Everything else: BRAVO.

Damien, congratulate Bill Condon for me at least. :)

Agree! IMO the dick was Murphy. Moreover, His Herscholt award presentation was totally undeserved. Bad choice.
The dick? oh BS!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

My warm congratulation to Bill Condon and to everyone who assisted him (that includes our Mr. sealed lips) for the high level achieved this year with the show.

Edited By Hustler on 1235451075
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

anonymous wrote:I think the "dick" was Eddie Murphy.

I have to say GREAT SHOW. The only thing I did not like was the repetitive generic theme that kept on playing every time a winner comes up the stage in lieu of the theme song of the movie the winner won for. That's the ONLY thing I disliked. Everything else: BRAVO.

Agree! IMO the dick was Murphy. Moreover, His Herscholt award presentation was totally undeserved. Bad choice.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Or worn a more becoming, stylish hat, not something that looks like it is full fo grease and in need of a good washing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He should have just gotten a wig.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:The Blob (wearing a wool cap)

Yeah, what was up with that? He looked a total jerk.
According to Hoffman, he has "crazy hair" for a movie he's currently shooting. So instead of taking questions about the hair, he'd rather take questions about the cap.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:The Blob (wearing a wool cap)
Yeah, what was up with that? He looked a total jerk.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'll give more details later in the week. But as much fun as being there in person, and seeing Sophia Loren, Sean Penn (shaking hands with Adrian Brody), The Blob (wearing a wool cap), Penelope Cruz with her Oscar, Eva Marie Saint, Goldie and Kurt et al just a couple of feet away from you, somehow the ceremony seems much more low-keyed and less exciting in person.

For one thing, there were no television monitors, so even if you had a good seat as I did, you still missed the reactions of the nominees when the previous winners spoke glowingly of them. There were hors d'ouevres and free drinks before the show, but during it people pretty much stayed in their seats so it wasn't as lively as your average Oscar party.

The audience in the theatre loved the show, but that's no indication of how it played on TV. I heard a reporter quoting Sophia Loren that "It was the best Oscar show of all the many Oscar shows I have attended," and Harvey Weinstein: "Bill Condon should get an Oscar for reinventing the Oscars."

Harvey was seated near me, and he laughed uproariously at Hugh's number declaring, "I haven't seen The Reader" . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think the "dick" was Eddie Murphy.

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:It all depends on the nominees. If Wall-E and The Dark Night survive all this long period since they opened and score big in important categories, then most definitely it's going to be a pop fest. After continuous lowering in the ratings year after year, the academy needs a spectacle that grants a lot of viewrs, they need to gain momentum again, significance and cultural impact as they used to do.

One of my biggest complain last year was that it was the 80th anniversary and the show ended up being a little bit better than mediocre, or at least average, simple and boring. Blame the strike but whatever the reason was the show failed to impress, to live to expectations and to make justice to such an important night. It would have been different if instead of bringing the same faces we see year after year they would have paid tribute to old hollywood (including the not so old hollywood like Dustin Hoffman, Jodie Foster, Diane Keaton and Julie Andrews). I just read that Gloria Stewart remains best friend of Olivi de Havilland... that's a couple to hand out Best Picture award!

However, we might not see that kind of things this year either... if the show goes pop with the likes of TDK, Wall-E, a Pitt starring film (TCCOBB), a DiCaprio and Winslet serious drama, the gay vehicle (Milk) then we must expect hype presenters instead of those expected (at least for us) homages to the old school. So, then again, we'll most likely see Christan Bale, Shia Lebouf, Zach Efron, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise WITH Kate Holmes, Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper to name a few...

I'm even expecting a "cool" honorary award like Ben Burtt or someone like him... "for the creation of the voice of R2D2, the sound of the light saber, for giving E.T. a voice and most recently for his outstanding work in Wall-E". The fact that he previously won some Academy Awards is not a prevention point. These guys are remebered when they gain momentum... After all, Saul Saentz won the Irving Thalberg the same night The English Patient swept the awards (including one for him as it won Best Picture).

If the thing is really really audience friendly, expect a number with Zach Efron for a nominated song from HSM3 or 4 or something (sarcasm apart, he should have already perfromed at the Oscars. Last year, considering the new rules on the song category, Hairspray should have sent "Ladie's Choice" instead of "Come so far", it would have had a better chance to receive a nod).

Hope the nominated songs got mixed up in a single performance again. Hope the scores are presented simply by an orchestra with a few soloists (or without them ala 1997) but not with the simple mention of the nominees. I can even tolerate if they used a weird dance routine but let us hear the scores please...
Be careful what you wish for. The songs mix didn't work...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Why?
He's known in Hollywood for being both stuck up and difficult. His praise of Mickey Rourke seemed forced unlike the genuine warmth of the other presenters.

He's also deemed very pretentious for insisting on being introduced as "Sir" Ben Kingsley, something no other knight including "Sir" Anthony Hopkins expects or indeed wants.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”