The Show - What can we expect

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Zahveed wrote:I'm thinking this may very well be a pop-fest as opposed to last year's predominately indie celebration. It's Newton's third law of Academy.
Then, would you refer to any segments of the show that drag on as the Academy's Second Law Of Thermodynamics?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm thinking this may very well be a pop-fest as opposed to last year's predominately indie celebration. It's Newton's third law of Academy.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Tom Cruise WITH Kate Holmes

Not if Valkyrie bombs as expected.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:One of my biggest complaints last year was that it was the 80th anniversary...
This year has just as much of a claim on being the 80th anniversary, since the winners of the first awards celebrating the films of 1927-28 were not announced until February, 1929, and the ceremony held in May of that year.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Shia Lebouf, Zach Efron, Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper to name a few...
I have no interest in seeing any of these people presenting. I don't know who half of them are.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

It all depends on the nominees. If Wall-E and The Dark Night survive all this long period since they opened and score big in important categories, then most definitely it's going to be a pop fest. After continuous lowering in the ratings year after year, the academy needs a spectacle that grants a lot of viewrs, they need to gain momentum again, significance and cultural impact as they used to do.

One of my biggest complain last year was that it was the 80th anniversary and the show ended up being a little bit better than mediocre, or at least average, simple and boring. Blame the strike but whatever the reason was the show failed to impress, to live to expectations and to make justice to such an important night. It would have been different if instead of bringing the same faces we see year after year they would have paid tribute to old hollywood (including the not so old hollywood like Dustin Hoffman, Jodie Foster, Diane Keaton and Julie Andrews). I just read that Gloria Stewart remains best friend of Olivi de Havilland... that's a couple to hand out Best Picture award!

However, we might not see that kind of things this year either... if the show goes pop with the likes of TDK, Wall-E, a Pitt starring film (TCCOBB), a DiCaprio and Winslet serious drama, the gay vehicle (Milk) then we must expect hype presenters instead of those expected (at least for us) homages to the old school. So, then again, we'll most likely see Christan Bale, Shia Lebouf, Zach Efron, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise WITH Kate Holmes, Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper to name a few...

I'm even expecting a "cool" honorary award like Ben Burtt or someone like him... "for the creation of the voice of R2D2, the sound of the light saber, for giving E.T. a voice and most recently for his outstanding work in Wall-E". The fact that he previously won some Academy Awards is not a prevention point. These guys are remebered when they gain momentum... After all, Saul Saentz won the Irving Thalberg the same night The English Patient swept the awards (including one for him as it won Best Picture).

If the thing is really really audience friendly, expect a number with Zach Efron for a nominated song from HSM3 or 4 or something (sarcasm apart, he should have already perfromed at the Oscars. Last year, considering the new rules on the song category, Hairspray should have sent "Ladie's Choice" instead of "Come so far", it would have had a better chance to receive a nod).

Hope the nominated songs got mixed up in a single performance again. Hope the scores are presented simply by an orchestra with a few soloists (or without them ala 1997) but not with the simple mention of the nominees. I can even tolerate if they used a weird dance routine but let us hear the scores please...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”