The Show - What can we expect

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I’m told the producers have slotted 90 seconds in the medley for each song sung by its original performer. But Gabriel said in his letter that he was only being offered 65 seconds for his song. “I don’t feel that is sufficient time to do the song justice, and I have decided to withdraw from performing,” Gabriel informed AMPAS. “I fully respect and look forward to the producers’ right to revamp the show. Even though song writers are small players in the filmmmaking process, they are just as committed and work just as hard as the rest of the team, and I regret that this new version of the ceremony is being created in part at their expense.” I’m told that the medley is the brainchild of the producers in their attempt to get the Oscar show’s running time down to 3 hours — which, frankly, would be a miracle given that it usually runs more than 4 hours. No word yet on whom the producers will choose to sing in place of Gabriel….

Peter Gabriel’s letter to the Academy:
“I was delighted when ‘Down to Earth’ was nominated for an Oscar. I was also pleased to have been asked to perform the song in the Oscar ceremony. However, in recent discussions with the Producers, it became clear that despite there being only three nominees, only 60-65 seconds was being offered, and that was also in a medley of the three songs. I don’t feel that is sufficient time to do the song justice, and have decided to withdraw from performing.

I fully respect and look forward to the Producers’ right to revamp the show. Even though song writers are small players in the film making process, they are just as committed and work just as hard as the rest of the team and I regret that this new version of the ceremony is being created, in part, at their expense.”

I still very much look forward to attending the ceremony.”
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Why would Springsteen care, he's not nominated? The last we heard Peter Gabriel dropped out due to the truncating of his song from WALL-E. Go here:

http://www.oscarguy.com/cgi-bin....t=11360
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

by the way, Have you heard that the nominated songs will be cut? Bruce Springsteen expressed his disagreement with this decission. I can´t understand which is the main criteria related to the show.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

A Movies Coming Soon Clip Montage to End the Oscars?
Source: New York Times
February 11, 2009

The New York Times is reporting that producers of the Oscars are looking to include a closing montage of clips from movies coming soon:

Producers of the show — to be hosted by Hugh Jackman and broadcast Feb. 22 on ABC — are even trying to liven up the proceedings by asking studios and others to provide scenes from future films, according to a request sent to various companies last month.

The idea, if the clips prove watchable, is for Mr. Jackman to sign off the broadcast with fresh 10-second snippets of two dozen new movies, to run on a split screen with the end credits.

In a separate article, the newspaper talks about which movies Warner Bros. is hoping will be included in the clips:

Not too surprisingly, the company decided to put its biggest, if not best, foot forward: The choices were "Sherlock Holmes," directed by Guy Ritchie with Robert Downey Jr.; "Terminator Salvation," directed by McG with a temperamental Christian Bale; and "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," directed by David Yates with Daniel Radcliffe.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2008 will be presented on Sunday, February 22, 2009, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Reading Sarandon's lips, you can even tell she says to the person to her left that they have her picture up there. Strange that they first identified Blakeley on the widescreen shot.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOIQSdENxCk

"The movies that celebrate the times" (The Times of Harvey Milk?)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Susan was there because, at the time, she was married to nominee Chris Sarandon.

I haven't watched the clip, but I recall vaguely there was more than one glitch that evening related to misidentifying. I believe that was also the night they ran the most unnecessary identifier of all time, putting a name plate on Elizabeth Taylor.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yeah, they first show Ronee Blakely, then mistakenly switch to Susan Sarandon. Very odd.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

flipp525 wrote:
Hustler wrote:I´ve just found a big mistake in Lee Grant´s winning actress speech. (1975-supporting actress category) The first supporting actress nominee was Ronee Blakely, but after her announcement, the Camera focuses on Susan Sarandon! who wasn´t nominated.

Actually, I think that is Ronee Blakely, Hustler. She and Susan Sarandon have very similar eyes. Would Sarandon even have been invited to the Academy Awards back in 1975?

edited to add: I've seen the clip, but not in awhile, btw. Can't access youtube at the moment, so I'm offering that sort of blind.
I watched it again Flipp. This is Susan Sarandon, definitely. Ronee Blakely was dressed in white with a flower in her hair. Susan Sarandon was dressed in black, without a flower and her hair was red.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I didn't realize it was Susan Sarandon, but they did indeed switch cameras when putting her in the 5-box effect shot. I remember being disappointed by that because I always like to rewind and watch everyone's expressions. (The only thing I'll typically replay after the awards are over.)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hustler wrote:I´ve just found a big mistake in Lee Grant´s winning actress speech. (1975-supporting actress category) The first supporting actress nominee was Ronee Blakely, but after her announcement, the Camera focuses on Susan Sarandon! who wasn´t nominated.

Actually, I think that is Ronee Blakely, Hustler. She and Susan Sarandon have very similar eyes. Would Sarandon even have been invited to the Academy Awards back in 1975?

edited to add: I've seen the clip, but not in awhile, btw. Can't access youtube at the moment, so I'm offering that sort of blind.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234295317
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´ve just found a big mistake in Lee Grant´s winning actress speech. (1975-supporting actress category) The first supporting actress nominee was Ronee Blakely, but after her announcement, the Camera focuses on Susan Sarandon! who wasn´t nominated.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I favored Ordinary People over Raging Bull myself, too, and I think there's something more substantial going on in that film than meets the eye. Donald Sutherland gives another fantastic non-nominated performance.

Chicago is one of the better films to win Best Picture this decade. It was immediately apparent at the time and it still is true.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234292449
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Wolves was the first western since Cimarron to win. If Cimarron, was more a soap opera than a western, Wolves was more a new age revisionist western than a traditional one. When Unforgiven won two years later it was widely seen as the first "real" western to win thus rendering the award to Wolves only two years earlier somewhat unimportant and instantly passe. The same could happen with Slumdog if a "real" Bollywood film captures the top prize in the future.
Then it's safe.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Dances With Wolves is the same sort of winner that Slumdog Millionaire will be this year, a crowd pleaser that gives AMPAS the opportunity to pat itself on the back for rewarding something different, a western in the first case, a Bollywood-like film in the second. Wolves was the first western since Cimarron to win. If Cimarron, was more a soap opera than a western, Wolves was more a new age revisionist western than a traditional one. When Unforgiven won two years later it was widely seen as the first "real" western to win thus rendering the award to Wolves only two years earlier somewhat unimportant and instantly passe. The same could happen with Slumdog if a "real" Bollywood film captures the top prize in the future.

And for what it's worth my ten best list for 1980 consists of, in order, Ordinary People, The Great Santini, Melvin and Howard, Raging Bull, The Elephant Man, The Tin Drum, The Stunt Man, Resurrection, Coal Miner's Daughter and Fame.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”