My favourites are:

• The Wrestler – The Wrestler
• Gran Torino – Gran Torino
• Down to Earth - WALL•E
• The Call – The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
• Dracula’s Lament – Forgetting Sarah Marshall
• Little Person – Synecdoche, New York
• Sweet Ballad – Yes Man

Btw, can anyone remind me, what was the problem with Brokeback Mountain a few years ago? Why all those songs couldn't have been nominated?
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

dylanfan23 wrote:But as for songs, the song performances are a highlight for me of the ceremony
Now there's an opinion you don't hear much. :D
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

ahhh give em all 5 nominees...its a nice number...so what if there are only 20 animated films, more nominees the better lol. But as for songs, the song performances are a highlight for me of the ceremony, its a nice break from it all...so i wish there 5 nominees for at least that reason alone. And the more i hear the boss's song, its just an even more perfect an ending to that film...also clint's song is to his. And if bruce was nominated he would have most likely won...deservingly so. And he would have done a nice job at the ceremony, as i expect peter gabriel to do.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Animated should not be lifted to five nominees at all times. Given that at most, we're gonna get 16-20 films eligible, having five when only ten or twelve is simply overkill.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Reza wrote:However, I personally feel that the Springsteen song from The Wrestler should have been nominated as well and won.
Quite agree, Reza.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

bettestreep2008 wrote:Time for the Academy to decide that ALL categories must have 5 nominees and not 2, 3 or 4.

Sound Editing effects used to be a "special award" , then a normal award with 2 or 3 nominees - and now it is a normal award with 5 nominees!

If this category could achieve this - why not Original song and Animated Feature???
Agree with you.
Don't forget the Visual Effects and Makeup.
With so many incredible achievements every year, they simply MUST increase the number of possible nominees from three to five.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

bettestreep2008 wrote:Don't get me wrong - "Jai ho" is a stunning song and was used brilliantly in Slundog - and will most likely win - but does anyone know what it actually means???

The meaning of Jai Ho is ‘be the winner‘. The lyrics are written by Gulzar who is a very famous Indian film director, screenwriter, lyricist and poet.

However, I personally feel that the Springsteen song from The Wrestler should have been nominated as well and won.

Edited By Reza on 1232725187
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

I was very surprised that only 3 songs were nominated - and does the committe have translated lyrics available to see how foreign language songs are used in the actual movie???

Don't get me wrong - "Jai ho" is a stunning song and was used brilliantly in Slundog - and will most likely win - but does anyone know what it actually means???

And how is it possible that out of 50 or so finalists - the committe "scored" only 3 as being worthy???

What if the 4th or 5th choices missed out by 1 vote???

Like the documentary feature, foreign language and shorts categories - the committees that decide on the final nominations just don't have a clue!

To think there are 2 songwriters that missed out on a possible nomination because the committee didn't give it enough points!!!

Time for the Academy to decide that ALL categories must have 5 nominees and not 2, 3 or 4.

Sound Editing effects used to be a "special award" , then a normal award with 2 or 3 nominees - and now it is a normal award with 5 nominees!

If this category could achieve this - why not Original song and Animated Feature???
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Why exactly where there only three nominees this morning? "The Wrestler" getting shut out is probably one of the biggest snubs of the Oscars, I thought for sure it would be in the mix. If not for the song's quality (which is high), then at least for previous-winner Bruce Springsteen's high cache at the moment.

They do it via scoring system. They'd watch all the songs in the context of their films and rate each one and only certain films which got the minimum score gets the nomination. I guess only those 3 got high enough scores.
I'd say the extensive amount of crap songs this year caused a vote-split... but that's a different subject all together.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is a stupid way to determine song nominees.

Obviously, if one watched ONLY the end credits of "The Wrestler" while listening to the song, it might not seem interesting. (At least "Down to Earth" and "Jai Ho" have colorful titles sequences/dancing.)

But I remember thinking, at the end of The Wrestler, wow, this song provides the perfect emotional coda to the film I just saw. I think "in context" should mean, in context of the whole film, not just a clip.

Still, I could listen to "The Wrestler" blindfolded and still know it was worthy of a nomination, so the best thing to do is probably just acknowledge that many of the members of the music branch are deaf and just move on.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Why exactly where there only three nominees this morning? "The Wrestler" getting shut out is probably one of the biggest snubs of the Oscars, I thought for sure it would be in the mix. If not for the song's quality (which is high), then at least for previous-winner Bruce Springsteen's high cache at the moment.
They do it via scoring system. They'd watch all the songs in the context of their films and rate each one and only certain films which got the minimum score gets the nomination. I guess only those 3 got high enough scores.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Why exactly where there only three nominees this morning? "The Wrestler" getting shut out is probably one of the biggest snubs of the Oscars, I thought for sure it would be in the mix. If not for the song's quality (which is high), then at least for previous-winner Bruce Springsteen's high cache at the moment.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

"The Wrestler" is NOT NOMINATED! WTF!
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Here's a link to "Up to Our Nex" from Rachel Getting Married.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I just finished suffering my way through all the song (at least the ones with links). Here are those that I enjoyed:

"The Call," The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
"Chase the Morning," Repo! The Genetic Opera
"Gran Torino," Gran Torino
"Jai Ho," Slumdog Millionaire
"Little Person," Synecdoche, New York
"Right to Dream," Tennessee"
"Rock Me Sexy Jesus," Hamlet 2
"Sweet Ballad," Yes Man
"The Wrestler," The Wrestler
"Zydrate Anatomy," Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Gran Torino" was by FAR my favorite of the bunch. Everything from High School Musical 3 was terrible. It all sounded so dated and there was nothing charming about any of it.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”