81st Oscars: Foreign Language Film

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I liked the film, but much more i liked Baader Meinhof Kompleks and Departures..
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You don't like, Waltz with Bashir?

I'm thinking about giving up this Oscar predicting thing. I predicted Departures and the people around me asked how I knew it would win and I gave them a two paragraph answer. They looked at me like they caught me kissing a dog.
"How's the despair?"
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I m so happy Waltz With Bashir didn't win here!
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sabin wrote:Called it, bitches.

Plenty of people called it.

Edited By Heksagon on 1235392255
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:I bet Harvey Weinstein was pissed that he had to sit in the back with the Foreign Film nominees. He didn't look happy.
That's the section I was sitting in. Two rows behind Harvey. And John Legend and Adrian Brody. And Super agent Roney Meyer. In front of Gilbert Cates, and Ma and Pa Winslet.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Called it, bitches.
"How's the despair?"
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Stand corrected...thank you for that.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

That's precisely what I meant; the honorary awards are different. The whole category was established largely because of the influence of Japanese films, but it lasted more than fifty years before a single Japanese film would win it.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I bet Harvey Weinstein was pissed that he had to sit in the back with the Foreign Film nominees. He didn't look happy.

EDIT: This is the first time Japan has won this award in competition. Those three were before it was a competitive award.

Edited By dws1982 on 1252073499
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Heksagon wrote:The first time Japan has ever won this award.
You mean other than Rashomon, Gate of Hell, Samurai, the Legend of Musashi, Harp of Burma, and many others?
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

So glad to see Motoki and Hirosue, the male and female leads of the film, on stage. I've been "watching" they emerged as stars since the last decade. Not the most capable actors in Japan, they are nonetheless having their own charms. Too bad I missed the media screening of the film in my city for another screening of a mediocre HK film because I needed to comment on the latter on TV in the next morning.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But I have to feel kind bad for France. Despite having the most nominations in Oscar history, they don't have the most awards...and haven't won since Indochine in 1992.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The first time Japan has ever won this award.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Departures - Japan
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”