81st Oscars: Picture

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Heksagon wrote:...Well, all right, I do think that at least cinematography and sound awards were a bit too much.
agreed. i was not impressed with the dramatic aspects of THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, but it certainly deserved to win cinematography along with make-up, visual effects, and set.

i am so glad THE DARK KNIGHT was able to keep SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE from sweeping all its nominated categories by winning sound editing.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I think that Slumdog was a fair choice. I think it's roughly the same quality as most of the winners in recent years, and besides, this was a fairly weak year, at least Oscar-wise. Of the other contenders, I felt that none were better, and that only Milk was of comparable quality, with the others being worse. I'm not going to remember Slumdog as one of the Academy's brightest moments, but I'm not going to complain either.

...Well, all right, I do think that at least cinematography and sound awards were a bit too much.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Penelope wrote:Isn't it 7 Oscars for Slumdog, not 8?

I loved the film. Not a perfect film, certainly flawed, but also considerably better than many other winners (Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind, Million Dollar Baby, Crash).
True, not the worst film in recent memory to win best Picture, but I would have voted for two of the nominees over this forgetable winner.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Picture
Director
Adapted Screenplay
Original Score
Original Song
Editing
Cinematography
Sound Mixing

That's 8.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Isn't it 7 Oscars for Slumdog, not 8?

I loved the film. Not a perfect film, certainly flawed, but also considerably better than many other winners (Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind, Million Dollar Baby, Crash).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

So, the only awards Slumdog lost was sound effects to The Dark Knight and another award to itself...well, guess the Academy missed their happy ending movies after the past few winners.

You know, I feel like I've gone through the stages of grief when I first heard about the potential of a Slumdog sweep. Denial, anger, remorse and now, acceptance.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

One of my favorite winners of the decade. Definitely deserved. Hopefully it gets a bump at the box office, but everything is gravy now.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes, Harry, that was a predictable show as well. Even the acting winners, like this year's were fairly well certain at the end of the night, but very few of us predicted a clean sweep by LOTR, so that was at least a little bit surprising.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Besides the anniversary years, I can't remember the last time so many of Hollywood royalty showed up as presenters -- very nice way to honor and respect the past and still make the show fresh and relevant.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

OscarGuy wrote:Ah well. Thus caps the least surprising Academy Awards in history.

Actually, even when I was rooting for a final Jackson and company win back in 2003, after their 5th award or something like that the night felt extremley boring with that "Clean sweep".

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1235366141
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Snick's Guy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Ah well. Thus caps the least surprising Academy Awards in history.

True, but i really enjoyed the show
Certainly. So many nice little touches throughout the show. I don't remember when was the last time I enjoyed the entire ceremony from the beginning till the end, despite of such predictable outcomes.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

True, but i really enjoyed the show
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Eight.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ah well. Thus caps the least surprising Academy Awards in history.
Wesley Lovell
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I lost count, how many did they win?

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”