Bold Predictions

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If the leaks, as posted in The Show thread, are typical of the "surprises" we're in for, this is going to be one big letdown. What true Oscar fan is holding their breath waiting to see Robert Pattinson, Zac Efron and Miley Cirus?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Best predictions yet, Sonic! :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

• Slumdog" Sweeps, with A.R. Rahman winning two Oscars for Best Song in a tie.

• "Taken" wins more Oscars than "Benjamin Button" and "Dark Knight" combined (which would mean the previous prediction couldn't happen.)

• A last minute change in the song presentations. Condon restores the numbers to their full glory, giving them a 2 1/2 minute limit. The whole thing'll be over in 8 minutes and no one will complain. Bill and Peter make amends and Peter returns to perform and give Rahman a warm standing ovation for his two, I mean three, Oscars.

• Jerry Lewis announces that Stephen Daldry will put out "The Day the Clown Cried" as an extra on the DVD for "The Reader".

• Despite all the talk of how this will be a revamped show, Timothy Dalton will present the Best Animated Short Subject category with a kung fu panda.

• Jack Nicholson will be in attendence.

• The host and presenters will occassionally point that out, say "Hi, Jack!" and make jokes.

• Jack will grin.

• It will continue throughout.

• And never end.

Anyway...

• When Sean Penn wins, he and Hugh Jackman will kiss.

• Nobody thanks God this year.

• Dustin Hoffman presents an award sober.

• Earthquake.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1234931327
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

1. Meryl Streep winning Best Actress award.
2. Elizabeth Taylor presenting any award.
3. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty presenting another one.
4. Cloris Leachman and Lee Grant appearing together (previous supporting actress winners)
5. Stella Stevens presenting the Jean Herscholt award.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:6. Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine will appear and present an Oscar together.

This would, indeed, be a major highlight.....wishful thinking ofcourse!
I´ll keep my fingers crossed!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:1. (not that bold, really) Italiano will hate the production...after all, it is a Bill Condon film. :)
It IS bold actually - because really, I think I will like the production. It's not a film after all. (If it turns out to be boring it won't be Condon's fault).

Even a Mickey Rourke victory wouldn't be a big surprise by now, though I still think (and hope) that they will give it to Penn.

I will personally be shocked if anyone from the cast of Doubt - yes, those four performers, and some of them use to be very good, who seemed busier pushing each other out of close-ups than acting - puts her or his hands on an Oscar. But it won't happen.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

The offspring of Rob Lowe and Snow White presents an award.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

A large number of Academy members decide they do not want to give Sean Penn a second Lead Oscar so soon after his first and another large number dread the acceptance speech Mickey Rourke may give. The result: a win for Frank Langella.

While my personal choice would be Sean, I think Frank would be a deserving choice. I really enjoyed his performance.

Edited By kaytodd on 1234914363
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Roman Polanski ends his exile and co-presents the short subjects awards with Abigail Breslin.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My bold predictions:

Christian Bale and Shane Hurlbut present the award for Best Cinematography.

Captain Sullenberger and his crew from flight 1549 present the award for Best Visual Effects.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think it would be a shocker at all. Matter of fact, I consider her to be in the top 3 most likely to win with Henson and Adams farther down the list than she is. And, I don't know that it would be the kind of shocker it was for My Cousin Vinny, but I don't think a win for this one would be undeserved...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

flipp525 wrote:My bold prediction: Marisa Tomei wins the Oscar in a shocker. Again.
Would be deserved.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

My bold prediction: Marisa Tomei wins the Oscar in a shocker. Again.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Btw, i didn't intend for me to be the only one to make bold predictions. Everyone's welcome to do so.

Many of the ones I put in there were either legendary events that would get tongues to wag for decades or things that I can just imagine happening (and if Downey Jr. doesn't appear with Norton, I would doubt if he appears with either Ben Still repping Tropic Thunder or he shows with Gwyneth Paltrow repping Iron Man).

I also have a sneaking suspicion that we may see presenters coming out in the order their films were released during the year...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think that there's a screenplay waiting to be written out of the infamous de Havilland/Fontaine rivalry, whether it's studio-invented or not.

Without a doubt, the longstanding pipe-dream of seeing the sisters together on-stage at the Oscars will persist on this Board and beyond until one (or both) of them passes.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234889652
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”