Bold Predictions

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:My one out-on-a-limb prediction: there is a tie in a category this year.

Wouldn't that be just the thing to shake up the monotony of a pre-ordained frontrunner?

I know, I know, statistically it's pretty close to impossible. But it'd be cool...
There's probably a fairly high statistical likelihood of a tie in the Foreign Language, Documentary, and Short Subject categories, in that the number of people who vote in those categories is quite small.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

1. In Bruges and The Reader win their screenplay categories.

2. Slumdog wins a sound category (not both), but loses cinematography.

3. There's a tie in best song between the Slumdog efforts.

4. The Baader-Meinhoff Complex or Departures win best foreign film.

5. Everyone will love all the winners (hell, if I'm predicting a tie....)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

My one out-on-a-limb prediction: there is a tie in a category this year.

Wouldn't that be just the thing to shake up the monotony of a pre-ordained frontrunner?

I know, I know, statistically it's pretty close to impossible. But it'd be cool...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I could almost live with that, matthew. It would continue the tradition of 90% of this decade's Best Director winners won for the film that should have, if it didn't, won Best Picture.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1235262066
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

My bold prediction is Slumdog winning picture but Van Sant winning director (in a sort-of career acknowledgement kind of way...)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Another one: Jane Fonda returns as a presenter.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mickey Rourke will win and surprisingly he will transfer the statuette to Frank Langella a la Ving Rhames.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That would be the most awesomest thing ever...but it isn't going to happen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A reference to Oscar Guy and the UAADB will slyly be inserted to somebody's speech and after show attention will be focused on finding out who Oscar Guy is and what the UAADB is.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Marisa Tomei wins The Best Supporting Actress Award, but presenter Javier Bardem announces Penelope Cruz instead. When the Price/Waterhouse representatives make a move toward the microphone to corrected him, he gives them the Chigurh 'dead-eye' stare and they back off.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And there's been a change in category names. Now it's Best Goddam Cartoon and Best Godamn Cartoon Short.

Had to get the obvious one out of the way.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1235064141
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll add to that:

David Letterman will make a surprise appearance and go:

"Ethan...Uma...Uma...Ethan" then yell at Uma "you heartbreaking slut" and then walk nonchalantly off the stage.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Now that we know Damien is a show contributor, here are some more Bold Predictions:

• Ethan Hawke will be in attendence.

• The host and presenters will occassionally point that out, say "Hi, Ethan!" and make jokes.

• Ethan will grin.

• It will continue throughout.

• And never end.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:the infamous de Havilland/Fontaine rivalry, whether it's studio-invented or not.

I don't think it was studio publicity at all. Fontaine wrote about it in her autobiography, ''No Bed of Roses''.
From IMDb: Ex-husband William Dozier thought a more appropriate title should have been "No Shred of Truth".
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:the infamous de Havilland/Fontaine rivalry, whether it's studio-invented or not.
I don't think it was studio publicity at all. Fontaine wrote about it in her autobiography, ''No Bed of Roses''.

Does anyone know if de Havilland has finished writing her autobiography? She's been at it for years now.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”