Indie Spirit Awards Winners

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

How pretty looked Debra Winger!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It seems the old adage that the Spirit awards celebrate independent filmmaking, but only if recognizing Oscar nominees in lead and supporting roles, holds true. As out of the four acting awards, only one was won by a non-Oscar nominee and since there were no Oscar nominees in the bunch, they went with the next best thing and honored someone from an Academy Award-nominated film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

For those who missed it, here's Mickey. Lotsa dirty words here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3tN7P6oKI
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This show has really taken a turn over the years.

They need to implement a rule that any movie that costs over five million dollars has no business being nominated on any level. Milk is not an independent film. It is an in-house production by Focus Feature. The problem with the Independent Spirit Awards is that it is no longer relevant in any capacity. I'm thrilled that Melissa Leo is being recognized despite the fact that I don't like her movie, but Rourke, Franco, Cruz? The Indie Spirits are set up to honor movies like Ballast and Chop Shop and now they have to compete with The Wrestler and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. That's such bullshit. I feel like a broken record here.

Edited By Sabin on 1235293416
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I take it no one watched this on the Independent Film channel except me.

This show used to be fun, but now even the casualness seems forced. Some of the guys like Jonathan Demme come dressed as though they were lounging around home, but more and more are dressing as though they might actually be seen by someone - more of a business casual style with some even going so far as to wearing jacket and tie. The women al looked smartly dressed.

The acceptance speeches were pretty much what you'd expect though both Melissa Leo and the producer of Frozen River went on and on as though they their film was the greatest movie made since Citizen Kane.

Mickey Rourke was the highlight of the show. The clip to The Wrestler had been introduced by Eric Roberts and Mickey went on an on about how Eric deserves the break he was given, that he needs to be forgiven for whatever he did fifteen years ago. Eventually he got off that subject and went on to thank all the people who wrote kind notes about the passing of his dog Loki and finally got around to thanking Darren Aronofsky and Marisa Tomei talking about how brave she was and how good she looked climbing the pole. This being the Indies his constant dropping of the f-word was uncensored.

When Alec Baldwin came on to announce the best picture winner he adlibbed about wanting to get back in movies and said something about needing to get himself a dog and said something about Eric Roberts needing to get over the last fifteen years. Unlike Mickey, who kept everyone in stitches, no one laughed at Alec's rant.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I continue to be amazed at how poorly Rachel Getting Married has fared this season. I'd have voted for it over The Wrestler, and would have certainly picked Hathaway over Leo, DeWitt over Cruz, and, above all, Jonathan Demme over McCarthy!!!!!!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Best Feature: The Wrestler

Best Director: Tom McCarthy (The Visitor)

Best First Feature: Synecdoche, New York

Best Screenplay: Woody Allen (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)

Best First Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black (Milk)

Best Female Lead: Melissa Leo (Frozen River)

Best Male Lead: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Best Supporting Female: Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)

Best Supporting Male: James Franco (Milk)

Best Cinematography: Maryse Alberti (The Wrestler)

Best Documentary: Man On Wire

Best Foreign Language Film: The Class

Robert Altman Award: Director Charlie Kaufman and the ensemble cast of Synecdoche, New York

Someone To Watch Award: Lynn Shelton (My Effortless Brilliance)

Truer Than Fiction Award: Margaret Brown (The Order Of Myths)

Producers Award: Heather Rae (Frozen River and Ibid)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”