Nominee Luncheon

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The video of the press conference.

Mickey Rourke's and Melissa Leo's responses at the end are the best, IMO.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

paperboy wrote:Every year I wonder where I'd be sitting if I were a nominee; this year I'd I'd like to think I'd be at the same table as Mickey Rourke and Andrew Stanton.
This year I'd like to be at the same table as Sean Penn and Meryl Streep, as I think they have the best senses of humor among this years nominees.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Every year I wonder where I'd be sitting if I were a nominee; this year I'd I'd like to think I'd be at the same table as Mickey Rourke and Andrew Stanton.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Pictures are available at Gettyimages or one of those related website. Nothing notable or interesting even, although Melissa Leo needs to be introduced to a stylist before she finds herself on What Not To Wear.

These are some scintillating details some AP writer posted from the event:

Taraji P. Henson poses for photos and signs autographs before entering the ballroom. Richard Jenkins quietly waits in line for his ticket.

• Five Oscar trophies stand on a stage. A pianist plays a grand.

• Mickey Rourke comes through and disappears into the men's room.

• Anne Hathaway is the last to arrive before the doors close.

• Suddenly it's the hall of ex-presidents: Josh Brolin, who played George W. Bush in "W.," shares a moment with Frank Langella, who played Richard Nixon in "Frost/Nixon."

• Ron Howard, wearing hiking shoes with his jacket and tie, is effusive with fellow director nominee Danny Boyle. Says the "Frost/Nixon" director to the "Slumdog Millionaire" director: "Congratulations. ... Well deserved."

• Robert Downey Jr. chats with Oscar producers Laurence Mark and Bill Condon.

• Danny Elfman, wearing shades and a name tag that says he's a nominee for "Milk" (original score), chats with Marisa Tomei (supporting actress, "The Wrestler").

• Academy president Sid Ganis calls the seating at he luncheon "relentlessly democratic." All the same, supporting-actor nominee Michael Shannon ("Revolutionary Road") sits under a banner that says "81st Academy Awards nominees" rather than his lunch table.

• Fellow best-actor hopefuls Rourke and Sean Penn stand side-by-side and share commentary as nominees' names are read. Moments later, Penn sidles up to Tomei, who then hugs Rourke as the roster of names is read.

• Boyle gets hearty applause from his fellow nominees.

Edited By dws1982 on 1233617353

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”