American Society of Cinematographers

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Be careful, Filmfan, I nearly got lynched when I suggested it was ludicrous that Slumdog even managed to win the CAS...
Sorry, today's a federal holiday. We're not giving any handouts at the Bureau of Self-Martyrdom until Tuesday.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There was an outside chance that The Dark Knight's IMAX format could have triumphed but I think Slumdog has this one in the bag unless the Academy mistakes Art Direction (Benjamin Button) for Cinematography like they did with Pan's Labyrinth.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The cinematographers used to make refreshingly go-our-own-way choices -- even picking dogs like The Patriot if they liked the look enough. But in recent years they've joined the Let's predict the Oscar brigade.

Thank god three of the acting races are at least competitive this year. I fear Slumdog is setting up for the dreariest sweep imaginable. It's as if these Hollywood folk didn't even see another movie.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I repeat my sentiments form the editing thread.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Be careful, Filmfan, I nearly got lynched when I suggested it was ludicrous that Slumdog even managed to win the CAS...

But, outside of the pending Visual Effects Society (where it isn't nominated), the Costume Designers Guild, and the Sound Editors Guild, the film has managed a clean sweep. If it picks up CDG and SEG, then we could be looking at the biggest sweep in guild history...I mean even Return of the King lost WGA, ASC and CAS...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Slumdog Millionaire
Oh, c'mon. This is bordering on ridiculous. You cannot tell me they really thought this was better than some of the other more interesting works that this.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Slumdog Millionaire
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”