Associate

Post by Zahveed »

A Medley is worse than no songs at all.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:
anonymous wrote:No word yet on whom the producers will choose to sing in place of Gabriel.

I'm sure Beyonce is on speed dial at this point.
*crosses fingers*

DavidArchuletaDavidArchuletaDavidArchuleta.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:No word yet on whom the producers will choose to sing in place of Gabriel.
I'm sure Beyonce is on speed dial at this point.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Solution - scrap the segment and show snippets of the songs being performed in the films as the nominations are read.

No other category has ever been given the extended exposure nominated songs have gotten over the years, largely to infuse the show with live entertainment it doesn't need and if Peter Gabriel doesn't like it he can stay home and cry in his beer.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think this would be a good place to post this bit of news:
Peter Gabriel backs out of the Oscars...

Peter Gabriel just pulled out of performing at the Academy Awards show. In a letter to the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences, the co-writer and performer of Wall-E's "Down To Earth" says he doesn't think the nominated songs, and their writers and performers, are getting enough respect during this year's Oscars telecast. That's because the show's producers, Larry Mark and Bill Condon, have reduced the song segment to a medley of the three songs nominated for Original Song. Producers have slotted 90 seconds in the medley for each song sung by its original performer. But Gabriel said in his letter that he was only being offered 65 seconds for his song. "I don't feel that is sufficient time to do the song justice, and I have decided to withdraw from performing," Gabriel informed AMPAS. "I fully respect and look forward to the producers' right to revamp the show. Even though song writers are small players in the filmmmaking process, they are just as committed and work just as hard as the rest of the team, and I regret that this new version of the ceremony is being created in part at their expense." The medley is the brainchild of the producers in their attempt to get the Oscar show's running time down to 3 hours. No word yet on whom the producers will choose to sing in place of Gabriel.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Mister Tee, I think if The Wrestler were here, it would be a BETTER race, but certainly not a closer one -- Springsteen would win outright, I think.
I'd say only probably. Slumdog delirium may well extend to its song, and the fact that Bruce already has an Oscar might have weighed in.

All sophistry, of course, thanks to the music branch. This reminds me of some of the foolishness for which they were responsible in the 60s and 70s.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

My friends and I have already decided to play a YouTube clip of "The Wrestler" during a commercial break on Oscar night. I want to hear my Springsteen, dammit, whether voters want me to or not!

In reading over the bizarre rules for this category, one especially seemed problematic: you can't nominate in this category if you have a song in competition. On the surface, this may not seem like such a problem -- it's only fair for the committee to be unbiased. BUT...isn't this award supposed to be voted on by one's peers? Shouldn't people who are actually composing songs regularly for film be the ones nominating?

Wouldn't this be like Sean Penn, Meryl Streep, and Kate Winslet not being able to nominate actors this year, when they'd be some of the people it seems like you'd most want voting?

I think Jai Ho wins. Down to Earth is fine. But the latter is a nice end credits number that no one paid attention to while the former is a full-blown production spectacular that everyone loved.

Mister Tee, I think if The Wrestler were here, it would be a BETTER race, but certainly not a closer one -- Springsteen would win outright, I think.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My quick take is that the catgory was rigged for Jai Ho to win. Whatever the appeal of O Saya after listening to the CD, it's Jai Ho that people are coming out of the movie remembering.

The long shot is that O Saya peels off crucial Slumdog votes and gives it to Down to Earth, the way the Dreamgirls three-way split opened the door for Melissa Etheridge. As Jim20 says, I couldn't begrudge Newman an at-last win, but Down to Earth didn't impress me in the theatre.

The longer shot is that O Saya confounds all and wins outright.

The outrage is that the music branch has begun to take away voter choices on a consistent basis. If The Wrestler and Gran Torino (and maybe other songs I haven't heard) were here, this'd be an entirely different and more interesting race.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think this, actually, is a fairly interesting category, if only because of what was left off. I really have no idea what'll win.

If we go based on cinematic "moments" - I think it goes to "Jai Ho." It has the production number AND the splashy credits. It's very hooky, as Jim mentioned, and if the film is as strong as everyone says it is, it should win here with 2 of the 3 nods, right?

If we go with what song is easiest on the ears, I think it's "Down to Earth." I know it's hip to dislike this song, but I rather enjoy it.

If "O Saya" wins, I'd be very surprised. Of course, it'd be my vote (those thunderous drums, MIA, the force).
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I have to re-listen to "Down to Earth," but I believe "Jai Ho" might have this one in the bag. Having just bought the soundtrack for "Slumdog Millionaire" (one of the films few highlights being the use of music), both songs work. I remember leaving the film with audience members murmuring to one another, "great, now I can't get that song out of my head." I figure the Academy will be thinking the same thing.

Then again, it would be great to see Peter Gabriel and FINALLY Thomas Newman receive an Academy Award. However, I'd rather see Newman get it in the Original Score category.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think I prefer The Original BJ's take on how these threads are initiated.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”