OFTA 13

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You like Benjamin Button more than Milk?

I don't like that I have to praise any group for not following suit and nominating Frost/Nixon. I maintain that the films that basically represent the populist timbre of 2008 are The Dark Knight, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL*E and something else. These are the movies that really meant something this year, that people really embraced and outright LOVED. I believe that the American public was largely bullied into watching Frost/Nixon, The Reader, and to some degree The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but I understand its inclusion though I think by in large people really appreciated The Wrestler more. Be that as it may, if on nominations morning the nominees were The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, AND WALL*E, it'd be cause for celebration.

I understand the love for Slumdog Millionaire but I'll never understand the love for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ever. It's such a missed opportunity. I don't really understand how one can honor David Fincher for directing when it seems so largely the product of post-production think, but I really don't understand how the screenplay can win. I think these are probably the worst crop of nominated adapted screenplays in ages (is Doubt a better SCRIPT than The Dark Knight? Is the act structure stronger, more satisfying, more cinematic? is Frost/Nixon?) but it seems to me that if there's any category that Slumdog Millionaire cannot be denied, it is here.

Then again, there's so much I don't get this year. I don't like that I have to be proud that Taraji P. Henson was left out by us. It utterly baffles me that she has maintained such strength while Tilda Swinton's mini-movie performance has yet to rack up a single mention. Nothing against Henson who is good but given absolutely no shakes by the filmmakers.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, Button had very strong support. If the organization were supportive of revealing voting statistics, I'd be more than happy to show you just what level of support each film had.

And, I think there was also a measure of "anything but Slumdog" going on. Clearly the membership wasn't as blown away by the film or, if they liked it well enough, they were tired of hearing about it and voted other things in its place. But, I don't know the minds of voters and they must have simply liked most of the other film better than Slumdog Millionaire. WALL-E wasn't my choice for Best Picture, I still think Benjamin Button is the best out of the lot, but I can't begrudge the first animated film ever to win this award its victory.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

i couldn't agree more with those statements....i will never understand all the love for button either, beyond its beauty and wonderful sound, its a very below average story. And to give its script(the weakest part of the film) a win, let alone a nomination is laughable even in a weak year for adapted screenplays.

Other than that i have no real problem with the awards....i thought let the right one in was a good film and strike me down but i think its the 5th best of the films nominated for foriegn film. A pretty darn good group there and i thought gomorra was the best. And i thought the costume catorgory could have went to any of the other 4..well maybe not duchess...but the other 3.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Some of these choices are good: Penn, Streep, Ledger, The Dark Knight for Film Editing, all the wins for WALL*E. But never will I understand any of this love for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Slumdog Millionaire, I understand. An award for WRITING is beyond me.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No surprises, but not bad choices.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Online Film & Television Association has announced its winners for 2008. Follow the link for the full list.

http://oscarguy.com/ofta/Awards/Film/2008.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”