Screen Actors Guild Awards

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's basically the same self-deprecating speech she's been giving since winning the Globe for Adaptation. According to the IMDb. she's had 69 wins and another 80 nominations for her work.

If there was strong support for her winning a third Oscar this year methinks Kate would have been relegated to support in The Reader to make the way clear for her.

Just saying.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

kaytodd wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I was just watching Meryl's acceptance speech at the SAGs again and I think it's one of my favorite moments ever. What a wonderful, entertaining and gracious speech. I know Kate Winslet seems to be the pre-destined winner, but something just doesn't feel right about it to me. I have a feeling Streep could take it and what a classic Oscar moment it has the potential to be.

I was also thinking that Meryl's marvelous acceptance speech would help her while AMPAS members are filling their final ballots. And it seems that she really wants to win her third Oscar this year.
Having just now seen Meryl's acceptance speech at the SAGs on Utube, I couldn't agree more.....although Kate Winslet hasn't ever won and it would be sad to see her lose yet again.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

flipp525 wrote:I was just watching Meryl's acceptance speech at the SAGs again and I think it's one of my favorite moments ever. What a wonderful, entertaining and gracious speech. I know Kate Winslet seems to be the pre-destined winner, but something just doesn't feel right about it to me. I have a feeling Streep could take it and what a classic Oscar moment it has the potential to be.
I was also thinking that Meryl's marvelous acceptance speech would help her while AMPAS members are filling their final ballots. And it seems that she really wants to win her third Oscar this year.

Well, I am rooting for Kate. I enjoyed Meryl's performance in Doubt very much. Early in the film I thought it was too one-note and rather annoying. But her character developed layers as the film went on and I ended up liking the film and Meryl's performance very much. My opinion began to turn when Sister Aloysius made the clumsy attempt at humor when she was inviting Viola Davis (or was it when Amy and Philip?) into her office. The combination of my being surprised that Sister Aloysius would try to make a joke, especially in such a sensitive situation, Viola's confused reaction because she did not get the joke, and Meryl's uncomfortable reaction to her joke going bad made me laugh out loud.

But I think Kate's Hannah is a more difficult acting job and Kate simply did better work than Meryl this year. And I think Doubt is a much better film than The Reader.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I was just watching Meryl's acceptance speech at the SAGs again and I think it's one of my favorite moments ever. What a wonderful, entertaining and gracious speech. I know Kate Winslet seems to be the pre-destined winner, but something just doesn't feel right about it to me. I have a feeling Streep could take it and what a classic Oscar moment it has the potential to be.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wouldn't you age too if you were forced to deal with the bickering children of SAG? Have you been following the partisan wrangling going on over there? Though, I have to give him credit. Unlike Tina Fey, the only person last night I can think of who did, he stayed out of the fray over the contract thing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Why was Katie Holmes, of all people, presenting the lead actor award last night? What is her relevance to film in general outside of being married to Tom Cruise? And while we're on the subject, has Valkerie (I know I'm spelling it wrong, I just can't be bothered to look it up) just dropped off the face of the Earth? It looked almost laughably awful in the previews. That's the kind of film I wish would be "honored" with Razzies.

Is Allen Rosenberg sick? It looks like he's aged a decade in the past year.

Edited By flipp525 on 1233004129
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Damien wrote:On the other hand, making an SS guard empathetic? That's not a typical Oscar route.
BIG SPOILER ABOUT THE READER

True, but (at least in the novel) in the end she pays for her crimes - and in the most definitive, self-sacrificing way.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:regarding Kate Winslet. Some on this board are now predicting - or at least not excluding - two Oscars for Doubt: Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Now, I have yet to see the movie, but it sounds to me as absurd as the idea that Kate Winslet - whose performance in The Reader is lately getting award after award - will suddenly be ignored by the Academy. And honestly, ok, the Academy may not like The Reader too much, but at least it DID nominate it for Best Picture - if this means not liking a movie, what should we say about Doubt?
I CAN understand why most here think that Viola Davis will win - I don't think it will happen but let's say that it could, if only for the fact that the Globes or the SAG couldnt give us a clear view of the situation in the Best Supporting Actress race, so anything is theorically possible there.
But the SAG award to Meryl Streep is interesting only because it shows what would have probably happened had the Academy done like all the others and lazily given two nominations to Kate Winslet: Meryl would have her third Oscar. That's where those who wouldnt want Winslet to get two Oscars in the same night would cast their votes in the Best Actress race - a safe choice, a veteran who many feel deserves even more than three Oscars for her amazing career. The Katharine Hepburn rule.
But the Academy doesnt have this problem anymore. And frankly I can't see how a much-admired AND beloved, still relatively young, actress who's never won before but who's been nominated several times, who has a strong dramatic role in a Holocaust movie which is also a Best Picture nominee which probably won't win any other award during the night, and who's starred also in another "important" movie in the same year, and whose competition isnt exactly strong, can fail to win. She's in such a position that it comes close to parody, really - if she loses I will really be shocked and will really congratulate those bold enough to predict it.
Marco. I think you're spot on regarding Kate Winslet. Two well-liked (by the mainstream) performances make her the favorite for Best Actress. Meryl Streep was 30 when she received her first Oscar -- after one loss. Kate is 33, and has had 5 losses.

On the other hand, making an SS guard empathetic? That's not a typical Oscar route. But even if they don't like Revolutionary Road (which I haven't seen) the film gives her a character much different then The Reader's Hannah so that has to help in the same way Diane Keaton's presence in the risible and unloved Looking For Mr. Goodbar brought aboutrecognition.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Okri wrote:On another board, here's one explanation for why a SAG voter checked off Slumdog Millionaire
---
...However, I loved, absolutely loved, Slumdog Millionaire. I think my favorite thing about the film was its energy, and the cast had a lot to do with that.
I contend that the cast had very little to do with the energy - it's all in the editing and music.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Slumdog Millionaire was, even before the SAG awards, the obvious Best Picture winner. Now it's so ridiculously obvious that, should it NOT win, it would be one of the biggest upsets in a long, long time. But it will win. Forget about Benjamin Button and its 12 Oscars. Nothing can stop it now.

Some on this board are now predicting - or at least not excluding - two Oscars for Doubt: Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Now, I have yet to see the movie, but it sounds to me as absurd as the idea that Kate Winslet - whose performance in The Reader is lately getting award after award - will suddenly be ignored by the Academy. And honestly, ok, the Academy may not like The Reader too much, but at least it DID nominate it for Best Picture - if this means not liking a movie, what should we say about Doubt?
I CAN understand why most here think that Viola Davis will win - I don't think it will happen but let's say that it could, if only for the fact that the Globes or the SAG couldnt give us a clear view of the situation in the Best Supporting Actress race, so anything is theorically possible there.
But the SAG award to Meryl Streep is interesting only because it shows what would have probably happened had the Academy done like all the others and lazily given two nominations to Kate Winslet: Meryl would have her third Oscar. That's where those who wouldnt want Winslet to get two Oscars in the same night would cast their votes in the Best Actress race - a safe choice, a veteran who many feel deserves even more than three Oscars for her amazing career. The Katharine Hepburn rule.
But the Academy doesnt have this problem anymore. And frankly I can't see how a much-admired AND beloved, still relatively young, actress who's never won before but who's been nominated several times, who has a strong dramatic role in a Holocaust movie which is also a Best Picture nominee which probably won't win any other award during the night, and who's starred also in another "important" movie in the same year, and whose competition isnt exactly strong, can fail to win. She's in such a position that it comes close to parody, really - if she loses I will really be shocked and will really congratulate those bold enough to predict it.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Overall thoughts.....seeing milk is my favorite film of the year i really thought this was the night i might see it win something, but slumdog again. I said it the night of bfc awards, that was the same night i saw slumdog, i was convinced it would win everything for the entire year and i still say button has a shot(unfortunately) but i'm afraid slumdog is going to win everything at every major awards show. Now i thought slumdog was a great film, i just think milk, frost/nixon and about 6 other films were better this year so i'm becoming more and more negative with every award it wins. As for the award it won tonight, i thought slumdogs "ensemble" was the 5th best of the bunch and i can say that while not liking button very much as a film. So this win leaves the worst taste in my mouth. I thought milk's ensemble was just perfect right down the line and i really thought it might get a win here. But oh well. And pen said something people "hating" diego luna's performance? is that true? Thats really hard to believe someone being critical of that performance. I can see someone saying it wasn't one of the best in the film, but i can't imagine many people not liking that wonderful performance.

They gave the two leads to the current acting royalty in penn and streep and they showed their love with two standing ovations. Basically like if they gave awards to newman and hepburn and on the same night 40 years ago. And both were treats, they gave fantastic speeches and showed why everybody loves them. And they gave brilliant performances so i have no problem at all...i would love to see penn repeat at the oscars.

Finally james earl jones gave a perfect acceptance to his lifetime award, short and sweet and he showed why he has been respected for years. He also gave a nice word to newman at the end of his speech which i'm surprised noone else has done this awards season.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Penelope wrote:There are so many times when I wonder, did we see the same movie? I'm still astounded that people hated Diego Luna in Milk. I thought he was the best of the supporting players in that film, a totally beguiling AND devastating performance.
I agree with you Pen, although I think Emile Hirsch was just as wonderful. They were the two standouts to me, not Franco (Brolin is great too, but better in several things over the past two years including this year's W.)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee wrote:On that night back in '83, we all just sat back and waited for it to be over; I suggest some here do the same.
Done and done....haha, I'm in for the Mo'nique thing
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

That sounds like convoluted rationalization (but then alot of these people who offer written explanations of their votes sound that way -- you rarely hear, "I thought Sean Penn was just the best so I voted for hm". They always make it sound like calculus). It just seems silly to say one actor you didn't like is enough to disqualify Milk -- where everyone else was "great" -- so you vote for a movie where you don't single out anybody and just talk about "energy" (which sounds like the sort of the thing my grandmother would say after our school play -- "They all worked so hard!")

Slumdog taking this prize is analogous to the moment when Gandhi won the Oscar for screenplay (over Tootsie!). Winning an award for which it was so manifestly unfit made its ultimate domination of the evening a certainty. On that night back in '83, we all just sat back and waited for it to be over; I suggest some here do the same.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1232943831
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

There are so many times when I wonder, did we see the same movie? I'm still astounded that people hated Diego Luna in Milk. I thought he was the best of the supporting players in that film, a totally beguiling AND devastating performance.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”