Screen Actors Guild Awards

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

On another board, here's one explanation for why a SAG voter checked off Slumdog Millionaire

---

BEST ENSEMBLE: Slumdog Millionaire. I know no one will really agree with me, and it was very close between Slumdog and Doubt. However, I loved, absolutely loved, Slumdog Millionaire. I think my favorite thing about the film was its energy, and the cast had a lot to do with that. The fact that it feels more like an ensemble than the four-person cast of Doubt also helped tip me to Slumdog. I loved Doubt, but it just didn’t feel as much like an ensemble to me. Benjamin Button was acted fairly well, especially by Blanchett and Henson, but I wasn’t all that enthused with it. As petty as it seems, I didn’t think about voting for Milk because I really hated Diego Luna in it; the argument over whether the portrayal of Jack was intentional and correct or just bad writing and/or acting has been made very eloquently in the movie’s thread. I just know that I thought he was really bad, and I don’t want to vote to give him an award for it; everyone else was great, though. The cast of Frost/Nixon was mostly fine, but I don’t think it should have been nominated at all. It's going to get nominated for Best Picture, and that is really astounding to me. The two films for which I really would have liked to vote are Rachel Getting Married (my personal favorite) and The Dark Knight, and it sucks that they weren’t nominated. In this bunch, though, I’m firmly behind Slumdog Millionaire.

---

No, I'm not getting paid to flog Slumdog Millionare.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Bog wrote:
Sabin wrote:Just because we don't know who these people are means they're less deserving?

but it's certainly a better ensemble than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon.

And I mentioned none of these things....no-names, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button had nothing to do with my statments. Dev Patel's blank stare, Milk, and Doubt are what matter to me with Slumdog winning a SAG award....hell there's even A Christmas Tale, Happy-Go-Lucky, maybe Synecdoche and even The Dark Knight, off the top of my head. I guess I take this category to be far too literally about acting, which is so clearly not even a little bit. Has best "cast" at the SAGs always been just Oscar whoring with little acting correlation?

Victor Vargas was pretty great!
I believe he was talking to OG.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm in general agreement with Bog's stance: this had to be actors voting for their favorite movie; I can't imagine an actor of any judgment claiming Slumdog as an acting piece was superior to especially Milk, but also Doubt.

I've said, I don't dislike Slumdog, but, as has happened with a few other movies in the past, the outsize love it's receiving from the voting community is starting to sour me.

Had AMPAS not pulled the Winslet switcheroo, we'd probably be looking at a complete set of Oscar winners -- reduced to thinking only Penn/Rourke still competitive, owing to Sean's previous Oscar win. (The ovation tonight, however, was pretty persuasive) Instead, I think we're looking at two suspenseful actress races. The wild enthusiasm for Streep's win makes me think "It's time Meryl won again" fever is maybe on a par with "Winslet must win now" sentiment. I especially wonder if many people are going to much LIKE The Reader, which can affect voting (Doubt, whatever you think of it, goes down pretty easy). I see voters choosing with mixed emotions, the outcome uncertain.

I thought Sean and Robin were complete splitsville. Was her showing up just a gesture of friendship, or is there reconciliation in the air?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One thing the SAGs have had a problem with in the past is recognizing actors they know over actors they don't. The fact that there are no recognizable stars in the cast just means that they voted for the film they liked most, not necessarily the best ensemble. I think that's fairly clear considering that neither Milk nor Doubt, both with exceptional ensembles, picked up the award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Birdcage.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Bog wrote:Has best "cast" at the SAGs always been just Oscar whoring with little acting correlation?
Yes.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote:Just because we don't know who these people are means they're less deserving?

but it's certainly a better ensemble than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon.
And I mentioned none of these things....no-names, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button had nothing to do with my statments. Dev Patel's blank stare, Milk, and Doubt are what matter to me with Slumdog winning a SAG award....hell there's even A Christmas Tale, Happy-Go-Lucky, maybe Synecdoche and even The Dark Knight, off the top of my head. I guess I take this category to be far too literally about acting, which is so clearly not even a little bit. Has best "cast" at the SAGs always been just Oscar whoring with little acting correlation?

Victor Vargas was pretty great!
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think it is. Vastly superior, not blackmailing Hollywood.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Penelope wrote:Oh, no, Slumdog is vastly, vastly superior to The Departed.
Yeah, right.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Is Slumdog Millionaire blackmailing Hollywood or something?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Penelope wrote:Oh, no, Slumdog is vastly, vastly superior to The Departed.
*scoff*
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

When did Anthony Hopkins morph into Malcolm McDowell?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, no, Slumdog is vastly, vastly superior to The Departed.

Meryl Streep's acceptance speech was pretty terrific: she may very well have made the Best Actress race incredibly tight; only Jolie and Leo don't stand a chance of winning.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yeah, it's done. I suggest those who are depressed by this juggernaut come celebrate next year's Oscar race for best actress with me as Mo’Nique just won a special acting award at Sundance!

Edited By Eric on 1232939515
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just because we don't know who these people are means they're less deserving? I thought Raising Victor Vargas was the Best Ensemble in 2003. This year, I certainly wouldn't go as far with this film but it's certainly a better ensemble than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon.

It's been done for months. It's just doner now.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”