81st Annual Academy Awards Nominations

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I KNEW IT!!!

NO Dark Knight for BEST PICTURE - and I said it right after watching it last August!

Only one nomination for Kate Winslet! (Which will make for a VERY predictable and boring Oscar night unfortunately, but seems to be the correct choice).

Edited By ITALIANO on 1232631992
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

That's interesting. They went for The Reader instead of The Dark Knight. But, Kate Winslet didn't get the Supporting nomination--guess they thought it was Lead.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Nominations have been announced.

A link is here (Updating):

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/81st/Oscar.html

While I try to update, here are the ones announced live:

BEST PICTURE
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E

BEST DIRECTOR
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – David Fincher
Frost/Nixon – Ron Howard
Milk – Gus Van Sant
The Reader – Stephen Daldry
Slumdog Millionaire – Danny Boyle

BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins – The Visitor
Frank Langella – Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn – Milk
Brad Pitt – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway – Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie – Changeling
Melissa Leo – Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet – The Reader

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin – Milk
Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt
Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon – Revolutionary Road

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams – Doubt
Penelope Cruz – Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis – Doubt
Taraji P. Henson – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei – The Wrestler

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Frozen River
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
WALL-E

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Baader Meinhof Complex – Germany
The Class – France
Departures – Japan
Revanche – Austria
Waltz with Bashir – Israel
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

WHOA!
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I've been surfing around to see where I want to catch the noms...and just about every channel seems to take the stance of incredibly over the top Slumdog fans and that it is basically Schindler's List. I can already tell if it lacks acting nominations that will be the entire talk post-nominations.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:2. In his predictions for the Oscar nominations, the cute but dumb Ben Lyons said the Best Picture race was Benjamin Button, Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, Milk and an open fifth slot, which he said could go to The Reader, Revolutionary Road or Doubt. And he predicted Doubt. So, either he's been living under a rock or can't be bothered to pay attention to the precursors that really matter...no mention of The Dark Knight or Dark Horse WALL-E.
Our old chum Tom O'Neil did the same thing yesterday on the CBS Early Show. Maybe the nods will prove them right, but you sort of get the sense that they're still operating under the old "Golden Globes know all" maxim.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Two dumbest things I heard this morning while watching a repeat of last night's E! News Daily on E!...

1. Ryan Sechrest said the nominations (at least their programming for it) would be announced 8:30 Eastern, 6:30 Central...I didn't know the Mountain time zone had switched places with the Central...

2. In his predictions for the Oscar nominations, the cute but dumb Ben Lyons said the Best Picture race was Benjamin Button, Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, Milk and an open fifth slot, which he said could go to The Reader, Revolutionary Road or Doubt. And he predicted Doubt. So, either he's been living under a rock or can't be bothered to pay attention to the precursors that really matter...no mention of The Dark Knight or Dark Horse WALL-E.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Nominations will be announced around 10:00 tonight where I live. Can't wait!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Get a good night's sleep, everyone. And don't be too depressed by the choices. It's just a little awards show, that's all.

Have fun tomorrow.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Sorry OG, I suppose I didn't help by posting the Henderson/Gonzalez blogs under the nomination names. I propose we discuss the individual nominations in those specific threads starting tomorrow to make it a little less cluttered.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm doing this now so I don't have to forget or delay it in the morning. I'll post a link to the nominations once they are announced and I have them updated.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”