DGA Winner

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think at this point, Slumdog Millionaire has to be considered one of the two or three strongest front-runners of the decade. There is not a film that has the slightest chance of upsetting it this year. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was an obnoxious front-runner. At least there were rumblings that The Pianist or The Hours could usurp SOME of Chicago's lead.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
Eric wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Back in Decemer, when everything looked fuzzy and there were no powerhouses coming around, it looked like things were going to go down to the wire. With no favorites, maybe this would be the rare year where a different film, and different performances, are being cited by different groups and we could really get an Oscar night where little is set in stone. Now, Picture, Director, Supporting Actor and probably Actor are all looking pretty set, with Actress being made out to be more competitive than I think it really is.

Year in, year out this exact same sentiment is repeated without fail. When will everyone stop expressing amazement that in this, the era of 10,000 precursors, those who are even half paying attention will have a pretty good idea of what most of the winners will be come February.

Yet last year Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress both yielded fairly surprising winners (save me the "Oh, I knew Tilda was going to win after the BAFTAs" sentiment, please). I haven't slouched into complacency quite yet.
And I think that could very well be the case this year, too--surprises in the Actress categories.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Back in Decemer, when everything looked fuzzy and there were no powerhouses coming around, it looked like things were going to go down to the wire. With no favorites, maybe this would be the rare year where a different film, and different performances, are being cited by different groups and we could really get an Oscar night where little is set in stone. Now, Picture, Director, Supporting Actor and probably Actor are all looking pretty set, with Actress being made out to be more competitive than I think it really is.

Year in, year out this exact same sentiment is repeated without fail. When will everyone stop expressing amazement that in this, the era of 10,000 precursors, those who are even half paying attention will have a pretty good idea of what most of the winners will be come February.
Yet last year Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress both yielded fairly surprising winners (save me the "Oh, I knew Tilda was going to win after the BAFTAs" sentiment, please). I haven't slouched into complacency quite yet.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I take solace from the fact that my favorite of the five nominees is the frontrunner and pretty much locked and loaded to win (in the past 10 years, I think it's happened once: Chicago). Nevertheless, I'm so underwhelmed by the other nominees, and even more underwhelmed by the titles constantly bandied about as alternatives, that I'm still disappointed with this year's Oscars.

Even the potential joy of The Goddess finally winning her Oscar is tempered by the fact that she shoulda won it in 2004.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I still haven't seen Slumdog, so I can't chimein was to it's deservedness (it was sold out last night...going to try this week), but I think the frustration just comes from the lack of competition this year as to the Oscars. Back in Decemer, when everything looked fuzzy and there were no powerhouses coming around, it looked like things were going to go down to the wire. With no favorites, maybe this would be the rare year where a different film, and different performances, are being cited by different groups and we could really get an Oscar night where little is set in stone. Now, Picture, Director, Supporting Actor and probably Actor are all looking pretty set, with Actress being made out to be more competitive than I think it really is.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:my bhaio aur beheno!

I say......mucho impressed.....courtesy of Mrs Sonic, I presume?
You mean, my tutor? :D

I know you're unhappy, OG, but can you not be happy for the some of us rooting the film along?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

OscarGuy wrote:This is almost as boring as last year's No Country for Old Men juggernaut.
The only difference for me is "No Country for Old Men" actually deserved the praise.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sonic Youth wrote:Boyle wins. Let the thrilling Oscar race go to its inevitable and justifiable end, my bhaio aur beheno! Colonialists need not apply.
Yeah, it's one of the few years where my favourite of the five is actually the frontrunner, so I'll cherish this race.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My utter ennui at this year's Oscar contest has gotten so bad that I had entirely forgotten DGA would announce last night and leisurely strolled into this thread, read it, wasn't shocked and went on to other things.

This is almost as boring as last year's No Country for Old Men juggernaut.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Yeah, this is probably going to be one of the blandest Oscar years in recent memory that I can remember, where the one movie I want to win is probably placed at the fourth best chance (Milk). I just can't work up enough excitement over Slumdog, Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon or The Reader. The true movies that should have been nominated (The Dark Knight, Wall-E, The Wrestler and Milk) would have made a more interesting race, truly representing the best this year. For me, this may simply be the beginning of the end of the Academy's merit for me.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:my bhaio aur beheno!
I say......mucho impressed.....courtesy of Mrs Sonic, I presume?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Boyle wins. Let the thrilling Oscar race go to its inevitable and justifiable end, my bhaio aur beheno! Colonialists need not apply.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Yawn.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

*rolls over and goes back to sleep*

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”