Two Contenders

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So, 'Happy-Go-Lucky'...

I just saw this trailer and with the knowledge that Sally Hawkins has won the Berlin Film Festival award for Best Actress, she has to be something of a safe bet for a nomination at this point. My question...what of this film? It looks lovely. For such an "Academy unfriendly" figure, Mike Leigh has amassed five nominations thus far, some of them relatively unexpected.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I take Wells with a large grain of salt.

Kristen Scott Thomas is one of those actresses I would love to see win an Oscar, but I don't know - two actresses winning back to back for a French film is probably not going to happen. The plot sounds a bit like The Chalk Garden.

The trailer for the Jonathan Demme film with Anne Hathaway looks absolutely dreadful, like another Margot at the Wedding.

Drew Barrymore would be in line with recent winners like Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron and Reese Witherspoon so it wouldn't surprise me to see her pull off a win.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I've heard absolute raves about Drew Barrymore's transformative work as 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale in Grey Gardens.

Edited By flipp525 on 1217735406
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jeffrey Wells writes about the following...

1. Anne Hathaway, 'Rachel Getting Married'
Take this with a grain, but Anne Hathaway's performance as an emotionally unruly rehab veteran in Jonathan Demme Rachel Getting Married (Sony Pictures Classics, 10.3) is also thought to be a possible Oscar-level thing. Maybe. Depending on the breaks. Let's see what happens in Telluride or Toronto (or both). Jenny Lumet's script is about troubled Kym (Hathaway) returning home for the wedding of sister Rachel (Rosemarie Dewitt), and all the jagged-edge, broken- wing, barb-tongued elements she brings along. Sounds like a hoot...maybe.

2. Kristen Scott Thomas, 'I've Loved You for So Long'
Kristin Scott Thomas's performance in Philippe Claudel's I've Loved You So Long (Sony Classics, 10.22) is "going to be one of the nominated Best Actress performances," says a friend who just saw it today. "It will definitely appeal to the actors....very powerful acting...Thomas is not afraid to make herself look unglamorous...it's just a small French drama but it's very, very good."

Thomas plays a 40ish woman who's recently gotten out of the slammer for a major crime. Elsa Zylberstein is also superb, he says, as Scott-Thomas's sister.

The tipster allowed that his enthusiasm for I've Loved You So Long may be due in part to "the Mummy effect" -- a feeling of being deluged by big-studio crap that makes a viewer especially receptive to anything that works in a modest non-CG, non-idiotic way. Word around the campfire is that Claudel's film is a likely Telluride Film Festival entree. Sony Pictures Classics chief Michael Barker has been telling viewers that Thomas is "this year's Julie Christie performance."

I've Loved You So Long hasn't played any festivals yet. It was seen in market screenings during last May's Cannes festival. The French title is Il y a longtemps que je t'aime.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”