Supporting Actress, The Push Is On

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

How much do you want to bet that both Viola Davis and Taraji P. Henson present an award together?
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:What Oprah wants, Oprah get at the Oscars? No, not since Crash.
But that might be enough... Not only she was unsufferably happy after Crash victory, but if I remember right, she was very enthusiastic and very outspoken in favor of Crash during the campaign. And even if nobody saw it coming, she was actually right in the end. That's quite a precedent...

Besides, what other campaign has she done after Crash? Forest Whitaker? Jennifer Hudson?... Dee last year? (who almost got the award after seccesfully grab the SAG!)
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Thanks for reminding me about how badly she gloated on her show the next day.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What Oprah wants, Oprah get at the Oscars? No, not since Crash.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Good, I hope Davis wins.

Oprah would've been good in the role of Mrs. Miller, but her high-profile status might've been a distraction.

Edited By flipp525 on 1232810200
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

So, Viola Davis is a winner.
Oprah also made Barack Obama to become a Democratic nominee and the President. :)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oprah Winfrey is a powerful voice and could help Viola win.

Winfrey Has High Praise For Actress Who Took Her Role In Doubt

23 January 2009 9:27 AM, PST

Oprah Winfrey has faced off with the actress who took the role she wanted to play in Doubt just a day after her Oscar nomination was announced.

Talk show queen and occasional actress Winfrey lobbied director John Patrick Shanley for the role of Mrs. Miller in the drama, but he turned her down in favour of Viola Davis, who was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar on Thursday.

And the two ladies came face to face on the Oprah show on Friday, when Winfrey revealed the actress' portrayal of a desperate mum was "brilliant".

She told Davis, "I got such chills when you first entered the screen... I started to cry because I thought, 'Really, the person who deserved it most got this role.'"

And proving further she had no hard feelings, Winfrey added, "When I filled out my nomination ballot, you were the first person I put on the ballot."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”