Best Supporting Actress

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Because Winslet is somewhat likely to win the Screen Actor's Guild Award tomorrow night for The Reader, this category will be totally thrown up in the air with not a single contender winning a Golden Globe or SAG award. What was once going to be between Cruz and Winslet now feels not terribly down to anybody. Vicky Cristina Barcelona only received a nod for Cruz, a major blow for Woody Allen and his movie as every other film in the lineup received no less than four. She does more acting than anybody else in the category but do voters really like her and want her to have an Oscar?

Amy Adams certainly could figure because her role is the most substantial in the lineup but she was something of a longshot for a nomination and there have been some criticism for her role. Along with Cruz though, she's a former nominee who didn't win but unlike Cruz she's become a much stronger industry figure as of late.

Viola Davis has always been a strong industry figure. We're only now talking about it. She has THE scene of the lineup, the one, actorly moment. Doubt is well-regarded clearly and they may want to give it something. This is their only chance, but she could cancel with Amy Adams...

...or - I'll say it - Taraji P. Henson, the other black mother shouldering the burden of her son under adverse circumstances. She's in the most widely seen and most nominated movie in the lineup. She also has a sympathetic role. Just not a sympathetic director, with nary a close up to be seen.

Then there's Marisa Tomei with her third nomination going naked, playing as archetypal a role as any. There is a lot of love for The Wrestler and for her. She survived the Oscar curse like few have and it wasn't easy. Like My Cousin Vinny, the majority of voters may be looking for a role that's easy to love in a movie that's easy to love...and that is The Wrestler.

...so, I'm still predicting Penelope Cruz but it could really go any way and that wasn't the case when Kate Winslet was nominated.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I would bet heavily that Taraji P. Henson was the one who benefitted from the Winslet debacle (that is, her supporting votes for 'The Reader' being thrown out once she qualified for a spot in lead).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Count me among the many fans of Rosemarie Dewitt's performance in Rachel Getting Married. I thought it was more Oscar worthy than Hathaway's (I am glad she was nominated). I saw nothing special or Oscar worthy in Henson's performance and I believe her spot should have gone to Dewitt.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I'd absolutely love to hear dewitt's name espesially after she was basically ignored this awards season. She was so good that i assumed she would be all over the place this season after i saw the film. Now i don't want that to be in place of adams, i'm one who thinks she deserves the attension. But unfortunately its either one of the other, or neither and henson, that would meet my dissaproval...give me cruz, winslet, adams, dewitt and davis....if davis has to get in for her one phenominal scene...i would sit her down for tomai or upham though.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

A lot of predictors have been leaving off Amy Adams lately, but I'm having a hard time seeing that. She's showed up at every single precursor, and has a large role in what's seen as an actors' vehicle. (Honestly, I think it's highly possible that Doubt will win the SAG Ensemble prize.)

Plus, she came pretty close to a nomination last year and didn't make it, and, like Angelina Jolie, I have a hard time seeing her omitted two years in a row.

I'd love for Rosemarie DeWitt to receive a nomination, but I DO have a hard time seeing that. Not only has she missed every precursor (including critics' prizes, at least one of which I thought she'd steal from Penélope Cruz), but Rachel Getting Married has got to be the most surprisingly overlooked movie this whole awards season. I'd have thought WGA and SAG Ensemble nods were definite likelihoods, not to mention a little more support from critics' groups.

I even think Taraji P. Henson has a better shot, simply based on Best Picture pull.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Actually, I yielded to Ed on all the "should be nominated" choices since he's seen hundreds and hundreds of movies this year and I've seen about 40.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I certainly hope that Rosemarie DeWitt is nominated for Rachel Getting Married but...well...
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

It's an interesting list, Eric (although Beyonce I'm honestly not really feeling). Too bad you couldn't find a place for Samantha Morton on it who, by the way, is my surprise nominee choice for this category.

Edited By flipp525 on 1232049811
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

She was respectable enough in "Dreamgirls", and I haven't seen "Cadillac Records" so she might have worked on her acting chops, which admittedly didn't stretch much further than playing herself in "Goldmember".
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Really? Beyonce should be nominated? I always think back to Goldmember and the Pink Panther remake (shudder) when I think of her acting ability.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Nice work Eric...and I like your typically eccentric shouldabeens.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Same website as Supporting Actor, different movie critic.

Oscar Race 2009: Nomination Predictions - Supporting Actress
By: Eric Henderson On: 01/15/2009 15:02:57

Call it a showdown between the two wannabes. Leave it to the Golden Globes to return (from their obligatory hiatus during last year's WGA strike) and destroy the nefariously sycophantic Broadcast Film Critics Association's carefully laid plans for Kate Winslet. Almost as though to deliberately undercut the BFCA's self-appointed, self-important positioning as the most accurate bellweather for Oscar whims, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association responded to the BFCA's highly prescriptive, strategic best supporting actress award for Winslet's arguably leading performance in The Reader by handing Winslet two Golden Globes (one for The Reader, the other for Revolutionary Road, Winslet's official leading performance bid).

Aside from raining on poor Anne Hathaway's days after rumors surfaced in the blogosphere that the Globes's website preemptively tipped her as the winner, the HFPA's actions have also essentially hit the reset button on Winslet's campaign, which up until about last week appeared to be barely surviving mostly on the maxim "strength in numbers." Given both of Winslet's performances this year are housed in what we expect to be revealed next Thursday as failed Oscar bait that no one particularly likes, we were originally going to bank on the Academy's resistance to allowing a questionable double bid just because Winslet's presence is considered obligatory (especially after the same hustle netted Cate Blanchett a best actress nomination for fucking Elizabeth: The Golden Age last year). Because her thinking man's Ilsa act in The Reader is at least conceptually riskier than her put-upon dishrag Debbie Downer in Revolutionary Road, we were that close to throwing her by the wayside in this category, especially because there's a clearly superior crypto-leading role in the mix (Rosemarie DeWitt, whose titular character in Rachel Getting Married has been shut out of a lot of races thus far, but we feel anyone who actually watches enough of the film to justify throwing their vote toward frontrunner Anne Hathaway should have no other choice but to recognize DeWitt's equally tricky, equally attention-stealing performance).

But given how recent developments have cocked up the BFCA's attempt to engineer a narrative strategy, Winslet should reap the benefit of the doubt, and thus we doubt Amy Adams's utter lack of doubt in Doubt will prove as redoubtable as Viola Davis, Penelope Cruz, and Marisa Tomei, unimpeachable frontrunners all. That clears the first hurdle for soon-to-be seven-time nominee Winslet. Luckily for those that don't necessarily want to know the results of every last Oscar category months in advance, the Oscars are entirely on their own at this point to figure out whether they want to award Winslet twice, once, or not at all.

Will Be Nominated: Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Viola Davis for Doubt, Rosemarie DeWitt for Rachel Getting Married, Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler, and Kate Winslet for The Reader

Should Be Nominated: Rosemarie DeWitt for Rachel Getting Married, Beyonce Knowles for Cadillac Records, Julia Ormand for Kit Kittredge: An American Girl, Ann Savage for My Winnipeg, and Debra Winger for Rachel Getting Married

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”