Alphabet Soup

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:Still, many in Italy were pleasantly surprised when they saw Begum - they'd never imagined such a person could (at least till now) openly appear on tv in a Muslim country, and even have his own show.
Yes it was a surprise to many of us as well. But then the last few years things have been getting quite progressive as far as entertainers are concerned including fashion models and the daring outfits they wear on the cat walk. The other side of the coin holds true with certain parts of our country under siege by fanatic muslims. I guess we have stuff going on to please all. Just the danger to one's lives through bombings is worrying.

But life goes on.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

You are understandably worried about the situation in your country, and as I am often in areas of the world with similar problems (though of course not the SAME problems), I can see your point - especially about the US's policy (which I'm afraid won't change too muich with Obama).

Still, many in Italy were pleasantly surprised when they saw Begum - they'd never imagined such a person could (at least till now) openly appear on tv in a Muslim country, and even have his own show. It gave them another perspective on Pakistan (I was a bit less surprised, because I saw people like him being very popular in places like Turkey and Lebanon, but then these are among the most open minded countries in the Middle East). I must say that he sounded quite intelligent and pleasant in the interviews he gave.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:And Reza, Begum Nawazish Ali is all over Italy giving interviews and appearing on talk shows. Is he really so popular in Pakistan?
Yes he is popular....but only amongst a certain class of society....the approving kind. His talk show was surprisingly VERY popular on tv where he would interview celebrities and politicians dressed up as this Dame Edna sort of character called Begum Nawasish. We are, unfortunately, awash with a major mentatlity here that thinks it is God's right to punish people who don't have beards and think blowing up girls' schools is their divine right. So the likes of him could seriously be numbered.....which is why he has probably taken his shtick to foreign lands now.

Let's just say that we are living in dangerous times here in Pakistan. Unfortunately U.S policies in the 1980s (thanks to the war in Afghanistan against the Russians) created various monstrous factions that are now crawling out of the woodwork and creating havoc for us civilians in Pakistan. Typical of the U.S policy....create factions to suit their own purpose and after having created a monster....dump it so it is left loose to fester.....only to re-emerge as a bloody boil on the ass of the innocent public. Today we have to dodge bomb blasts in public places. So far the likes of Begum Nawazish can flourish with the likes of the conservative clerics / talibans....but for how long. As with most such horrific situations one only gets to read about them in papers (so far)but not witness it first hand. But for how long.....?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:-- and then the moment that makes or breaks the dreams of fanboys throughout the nation: Dark Knight

I am still amazed how much of a following this damn film has.
In any other year, it wouldn't even remotely come close to a Best Picture nomination. And I still think that it WON'T get nominated - though his director will be. But then, if it's not, it means I will have to watch Wall-E, so at this moment I'm rooting for Dark Knight.

And Reza, Begum Nawazish Ali is all over Italy giving interviews and appearing on talk shows. Is he really so popular in Pakistan?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:And I'm at the point where I think James and Josh Brolin are the same person, because I can't imagine what the dad looks like (I think).
If it helps, here's daddy Brolin at approximately the same age as his son is now.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

If Josh Brolin doesn't make it, wouldn't that indicate that it might be left off of Best Picture?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

There's a clip on youtube that has Anne Hathaway enthusing about Dev Patel, calling his the best performance she'd seen all year. One might wonder if she'd only seen one movie, but I think it's just a reminder of how popular Slumdog Millionaire is. I think Patel could be a surprise nomination in leading at this point (I'll stick with predicting him in support, though).

And I'm at the point where I think James and Josh Brolin are the same person, because I can't imagine what the dad looks like (I think).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:-- and then the moment that makes or breaks the dreams of fanboys throughout the nation: Dark Knight

I am still amazed how much of a following this damn film has. Who would have thought that the crappy film I almost slept through would be consdered for nods in lead categories.....although the one for Heath would be justified. And a win for him would make up for his loss for Brokeback Mountain.....not to mention a great Oscar moment.

Edited By Reza on 1232436437
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Penelope wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
I don't know how big of a stir it would cause...however, if you don't hear JOSH Brolin's name, then expect all hell to break loose :D

Paging copy editor.

Ha! We've both made that mistake now!
Now, if the Academy makes it Thursday morning I will laugh...you know, everything comes in 3's!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mister Tee wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Supporting actor…If James Brolin isn't the first name heard, there'll be quite a stir -- either from the lucky unexpected nominee ahead of him, or in the Brolin household.

I don't know how big of a stir it would cause...however, if you don't hear JOSH Brolin's name, then expect all hell to break loose :D

Paging copy editor.
Ha! We've both made that mistake now!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Supporting actor…If James Brolin isn't the first name heard, there'll be quite a stir -- either from the lucky unexpected nominee ahead of him, or in the Brolin household.

Paging copy editor.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's my Oscar Morning preview with a downloadable tracking sheet and a preface to the big announcement on Thursday.

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/81st/Morning.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Mister Tee wrote:If only one is named -- following Hathaway -- then it would appear Kristen Scott Thomas' campaign stayed alive against all odds.
Or it could possibly mean that Michelle Williams is sneaking in. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I've read a number of Best Picture predictions that have left Milk off the 6-into-5 nominations scramble. And it's genuinely something I'd fear for, simply because it's one of the candidates I'm more enthusiastic about, but also because it seems like one of those soft, mostly-assumed-to-be-safe Best Picture candidates that can get most of its expected nominations but still be Thelma & Louised out of Best Picture (interestingly enough, should that happen, it would be the result of well-deserved enthusiasm for an animated picture.)

BUT...at the same time, I think it's VERY unlikely that we'd get both The Dark Knight and WALL-E in Best Picture. Given that including one would be going relatively against the grain, citing both would seem a little bit too precedent-shattering, right? I think it's one or the other.

What's interesting about Best Director is that WALL-E seems to be the rare Best Picture candidate that absolutely NO ONE thinks has any kind of reasonable shot at a Director spot; for that reason, I think WALL-E/Nolan could be our Picture/Director split. But I also echo Tee's comments about Ron Howard. Now that he's been rewarded, I don't really see a huge urge to honor him again, and he was left when he seemed a MUCH stronger candidate. If he's ignored, I think Aronofsky benefits. Rachel Getting Married hasn't done well enough this season for Demme to surprise, I think. Another Mike Leigh shock seems unlikely. But The Wrestler's buzz has been consistently building since its opening, culminating in Rourke's Globe win, and Aronofsky seems like the kind of cool director that branch would want to honor.

Given that I'm relatively "meh" on the year as a whole, I most hope for some surprises Thursday morning. The Guild nods seemed to have lulled a lot of people into thinking the slates are set, but I'd love to see a totally out of nowhere nod or two.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”