Post-Globe Predictions

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm predicting five for Slumdog Millionaire (PICTURE, DIRECTOR, ADAPTED SCREENPLAY, ORIGINAL SCORE, and FILM EDITING), four for Benjamin Button (ART DIRECTION, COSTUME DESIGN, MAKEUP, and VISUAL EFFECTS), three for The Dark Knight (SUPPORTING ACTOR, CINEMATOGRAPHY, SOUND MIXING), and three for WALL-E (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY, ANIMATED FEATURE, SOUND EFFECTS).
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Waiting for BAFTA. If Benjamin Button is going to be any kind of force, it must do well there. Dev Patel, I think, is not going to get nominated at all. I know SAG nominated him, but AFAIK, SAG has a small group of individuals who make their nominations. It is not a SAG-wide vote in any stretch of the word. Whereas the entire Acting Branch of the Academy votes. Yes, it's possible for him get a nomination, but I'm dubious he will get a nomination, especially in lead against so many strong contenders.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I think you're been far too generous with Benjamin Button. With the exception of a few critics awards it has won nothing, and what exactly did Brad Pitt do in this film that should warrent a Best Actor nomination?

You're Best Actor catagory looks almost correct. If we replace Pitt with Dev Patel I have a feeling that will be out Best Actor line-up.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, now that the Globes are behind us, all that remains before the nominations is BAFTA, CDG, VES and OFCS. While these aren't my final predictions, they are fairly close with few minor changes likely to appear after these groups are done screwing things around.

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/81st/Hopefuls.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”