Costume Design Guild Nominees

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Everyone loves statistics!

The Costume Designers Guild, except in the last two years, has been an awful precursor. They expanded in the last three years to 15 nominees (this year only 13 it seems). Last year, 4 carried through and the year before 5 did. The first year of 15 saw only 3-out-of-5 make it to the Oscar race, which is the same number as the previous two years. For the five years prior, they alternated between two and one moving onto the Oscar derby, with twos every other year and ones in between.

So, they aren't necessarily the best predictors out there. And are easily among the worst of the guilds...unless their two most recent years are signs of a future of great prognostication.

Last year, they picked all but Across the Universe, which managed to be a surprise, I think, to most of us. They love their costume epics on both sides. Since they separated out Fantasy from Period/Fantasy, they have only once (three years ago) forecast a fantasy film to the Oscars (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). So, if they are going to send three through, they will probably be from the Period section.

I think Changeling and The Duchess (the latter having been in my official predictions since I put them together back in July). Australia was a no show here, too, which is an awful sign for the film, which may be the most expensive period piece in history not to earn a nod in either Oscar category, but I still think the Oscars may come through for the film since it is such heavy on the period work.

Milk is probably the biggest surprise in that it's the most recent "period" film in the list and probably that they may have ever honored (looks like prior to this, Good Night and Good Luck and Walk the Line were the most recent). So, that film, certainly a stronger possibility for a Best Picture nod than some were saying, is obviously a popular film with the guilds. Frost/Nixon received its first rap on the wrist with no nod here, which is perfectly fine.

Revolutionary Road made it in over The Reader. But, Albert Wolsky is hugely popular with this guild and only limitedly so with the Oscars. I could see The Reader and Revolutionary Road swap places at the Oscar noms.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button is also a safe bet with this group. Potential spoilers include period dramas Brideshead Revisited and The Other Boleyn Girl, though both are at a serious disadvantage now that they've been excluded from both ADG and CDG. Revolutionary Road could also take Milk's spot or it could be Australia. Or both could be in if The Reader doesn't make it through.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The costumes in Milk are magnificent, and contribute greatly to recreating the era; combined with the cinematography, it was almost like watching a film from 1978.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:The ever-amusing if irrelevant Costume Design Guild choices:

Excellence in period film:

Deborah Hopper for “Changeling”
Jacqueline West for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
Michael O’Connor for “The Duchess”
Danny Glicker for “Milk”
Albert Wolsky for “Revolutionary Road”
MILK is my favorite movie of the year, but how the heck does it have better costumes than THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think they did this to me last year, too. I had them down as announcing Saturday. Then, suddenly they decide to change their dates and announce today.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

because a hood and cape is far more fantastical than a flying suit of armor.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The ever-amusing if irrelevant Costume Design Guild choices:

Excellence in period film:

Deborah Hopper for “Changeling”
Jacqueline West for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
Michael O’Connor for “The Duchess”
Danny Glicker for “Milk”
Albert Wolsky for “Revolutionary Road”

Excellence in contemporary film:

Laura Jean Shannon and Rebecca Bentjen for “Iron Man”