GG: Comedy/Musical Actress

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You guys are right. I do recall people who snorted in the 80s as talking very fast.

My sincere apologies to Ms. Hawkins.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The way she was rubbing her nose while her name was being read I thought she had just snorted cocaine in the ladies' room which might well have affected her ability to speak coherently.

Magilla, the fact that you snort cocaine doesn´t affect precisely your ability to talk. I would say the opposite. You seem excited.
Not only do you speak coherently, but you generally speak quite cogently and very, very fast.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:The way she was rubbing her nose while her name was being read I thought she had just snorted cocaine in the ladies' room which might well have affected her ability to speak coherently.
Magilla, the fact that you snort cocaine doesn´t affect precisely your ability to talk. I would say the opposite. You seem excited.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Eric wrote:Save that sort of speculation for Kate Hepburn and her famous bottomless chair.
Care to fill me in on that?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Maybe it's a nervous tic.

Seriously, a coke addiction? Save that sort of speculation for Kate Hepburn and her famous bottomless chair.

Edited By Eric on 1231787492
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eating disorders and cocaine addiction are often linked. I'm not saying she is an addict, but she looked jittery throughout the show as opposed to her nicely poised, elegant and eloquent appearance at the Broadcast Film Critics Awards. Then when she rubbed her nose, I thought, ah, ha, so that's the problem.

Then again maybe it was just a cold and she was jittery from taking cold medication.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Quite honestly, I think this is really a bit much. So, everyone who rubs their nose a little is suddenly a coke addict? What was far more troubling was her near-skeletal appearance. I hope that one of her friends sits her down and tells her that she might need treatment for an eating disorder. My friend and I were aghast when she took to the stage.

And she did have something prepared, if I recall correctly, she was just very nervous being on-stage and giving a speech. There's no reason she can't still be overwhelmed by all the attention, no matter how many critics prizes she's already wrapped up this season.

One of the worthiest winners of the night and should easily find a spot in the Oscar lineup for Best Actress.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Jeffrey wrote:Fun fact: I'm friends the mother of Gina Tognoni, Best Supporting Actress at the 2008 Daytime Emmys. Much fun getting all the scoop.

Gina plays Dinah Marler on CBS' Guiding Light.
Terrific actress! Best part of the show.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

Thanks for the insight, Big Magilla.

The nose rubbing/cocaine observation.

I didn't know of Ms. Hawkins' previous awards. Just as Vanity Fair, the Oscar party I attended for ten years was cancelled.

Fun fact: I'm friends the mother of Gina Tognoni, Best Supporting Actress at the 2008 Daytime Emmys. Much fun getting all the scoop.

Gina plays Dinah Marler on CBS' Guiding Light.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

How could she have been so surprised when she has already won so many awards, and how could she not have prepared an acceptance speech having already made at least one at the New York Film Critics Awards bash?

The way she was rubbing her nose while her name was being read I thought she had just snorted cocaine in the ladies' room which might well have affected her ability to speak coherently.
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

I'm sorry...I hardly ever post anymore yet Sally Hawkins' performance last night...er, I mean, "acceptance speech" last night called so much attention to herself.

Her "Oh, I never expected this would happen, Look at me, How much I appreciate this, How do I act?" demeaner carried an undertow of, "Please, Academy, nominate me for Best Actress" against all odds.

I think it was well-orchestrated and thought out that she would act so "spontaneously" surprised/overwhelmed/"Look at Little Ole Me Getting an Award."
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

5th spot? i think she has the 4th spot...i'm still not sure about the 5th spot...jolie, thomas, leo or blanchett? I prefer jolie and leo a lot more than the other two and i think they will give it to jolie, but nothing will shock me by who they give the other nomination too besides hathaway, winslet, streep and hawkings.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:Horrid speech.
I liked her speech because it was genuine. I love acceptance speeches that either make me smile, laugh or involve genuine heartfelt emotion.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

She had already ensured the fifth slot.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

great performance...obviously nervous and i thought it was genuine and a little uncomfortable to watch.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”