Golden Globe Awards

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

anonymous wrote:As far as teen idols go, I'll stick with David Archuleta. :;):
I'll stick with Dev Patel and Freida Pinto.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This show was actually a lot of fun. We can usually expect four kinds of speeches: those of importance, those of good humor, those of effusive emotionality, and those of batshit rambling. And we kind of got all of them but in a good way. I don't have much memory of anybody draining the life out of anything.

I would have preferred to see James Franco win over Colin Farrell but In Bruges is a very good little movie that I'm glad will get further attention.

I'm thrilled for Sally Hawkins who sorely deserved her award.

I have not seen Revolutionary Road or The Reader but it was great seeing Kate Winslet that flustered.

I got to see The Jonas Brothers for the first time. They seemed mildly douchey. I think it's entirely possible I won't have to endure them again as they fizzle within the next couple of years.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rain Bard wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, I still don't see Slumdog Millionaire and Heath Ledger as unstoppable, and I don't feel like Sean Penn's chances have diminished any since yesterday.
I'd say Penn's chances "diminished" in the sense that, had he won, he'd have been a freight train, in much the way Philip Seymour Hoffman became after the Broadcast/Globe wins. (People forget, but, prior to those twin wins, best actor '05 looked like a pretty strong race) I'm certainly not suggesting Penn won't win the Oscar; he may well. But I don't see him being the drearily predictable choice Hoffman or Mirren or Whitaker or Day-Lewis were.

Slumdog I think is further up the ladder -- not at Return of the King level, but ahead of, say, Million Dollar Baby or The Departed, which had far less consensus behind them.

And Ledger I think is...well, I guess never say impossible to beat, but as close as can be. He's the critical, popular and sentimental favorite. Who's ever lost with that profile?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

His entire rolL of comments was in bad taste. I mean, I found them mildly amusing, but obviously joking about specific people getting divorced isn't a good topic. More general divorce jokes seem to go over better. But, I think since the Madonna/Guy Ritchie divorce was mostly amicable and Guy Ritchie having something of a career (though compared to Madonna, who wouldn't seem small?), that it wasn't necessary.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1231790164
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

What was up with Sacha Baron Cohen? I personally thought that his comment about Madonna/Guy Ritchie was funny, but the crowd seemed disgusted by him.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Rourke's thanks to his dogs was very touching: "When a man is alone, he's got his dogs." So it will be either him or Downey Jr. for the Comeback Award. But not both.
I am very tired of Miley Cyrus: first she complains to Seacrest about getting a "used Porsche" for her birthday and not a new one( I am sure THAT resonated with the 540,000 people in the US who lost their jobs in December), but then at the ceremony, she showed us the length of her tongue.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote: I'm I guess the only person here who doesn't hate Vicky Cristina; I was certainly thrilled it topped Mamma Mia!.
I'm with you on this Tee. In fact, this is one of my favorites of the year (at least from what I have seen).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Agreed. Heath Ledger is not losing the Oscar, no way. There simply isn't anyone who could do it.

It makes me kind of glad Dean Spanley isn't eligible for the Oscars, as it is for the BAFTAs. If they nominated Peter O'Toole and he lost to Heath, it would be quite painful to endure.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

rain Bard wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, I still don't see Slumdog Millionaire and Heath Ledger as unstoppable, and I don't feel like Sean Penn's chances have diminished any since yesterday.
I don't think Slumdog Millionaire is unstoppable but unless it's revealed that Heath was serial child rapist or a closet neo-Nazi between now and Oscar time, I don't see how he can lose. For one thing, who can he lose to? Josh Brolin? Robert Downey Jr.? Dev Patel?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Why do I feel like a Globe win doesn't indicate improved chances for an Oscar? Perhaps it's because the last four years, three different films picked up the two Best Picture Globes and the Academy Award each time.

The acting categories have been more predictive than that in recent years, but I still don't think it means Globes=locks. I almost get the sense that Academy members might be inclined to pick a winner different from Globe winners, as a sort of "spread the wealth" gesture.

I guess what I'm saying is, I still don't see Slumdog Millionaire and Heath Ledger as unstoppable, and I don't feel like Sean Penn's chances have diminished any since yesterday.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Damien wrote:
Uri wrote:Female film makers will never really make it in Hollywood, wont they?

I was thrilled that Anna Paquin won an award because I love her (even though I haven't seen her show, as I don't do Allan Ball). But it got me thinking that, damn, Jane Campion -- certainly a more interesting filmmaker than anyone associated with anything at the Globes tonight -- has been missing in action for quite some time now.

Indeed. Being born in New Zeeland, the first country to give woman the right to vote, a country which unlike some others was already led by women, one might not be aware of how much patriarchal a seemingly modern, self proclaimed liberal artistic community might be. How dumb of Campion not to be born to Francis Ford Copola. Huge mistake.

Edited By Uri on 1231754616
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:
??? How can you tell them apart? And what are the distinctions among them that makes Nick worth a dman but not the others? And finally, who the hell are they anyway? I mean, I know they're a pop group who are popular with tween girls but from where did they spring and what were they doing on the Globes? So many questions . . . :D

They have a 3-D concert movie coming out, I believe. Nick is the youngest (and the best-looking). Was a Broadway musical theater actor in his younger days, played both Chip (Beauty and the Beast) and Gavroche. That makes him worth a damn in my book. :D (FYI: I don't listen to their music).

They all three look the same to me. :D In the teen idol genre, I think you'd be much better off with the Sprouse twins -- although I couldn't tell you which was which with them either. But they were on The View a couple months ago and they were genuinely charming.

I know the Sprouse Twins. I've seen their show a few times. It's at least better than Hannah Montana, I must say. As far as teen idols go, I'll stick with David Archuleta. :;):

Edited By anonymous on 1231753960
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri wrote:Female film makers will never really make it in Hollywood, wont they?
I was thrilled that Anna Paquin won an award because I love her (even though I haven't seen her show, as I don't do Allan Ball). But it got me thinking that, damn, Jane Campion -- certainly a more interesting filmmaker than anyone associated with anything at the Globes tonight -- has been missing in action for quite some time now.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:- I will say that Nick is the only Jonas brother worth a damn.

??? How can you tell them apart? And what are the distinctions among them that makes Nick worth a dman but not the others? And finally, who the hell are they anyway? I mean, I know they're a pop group who are popular with tween girls but from where did they spring and what were they doing on the Globes? So many questions . . . :D

They have a 3-D concert movie coming out, I believe. Nick is the youngest (and the best-looking). Was a Broadway musical theater actor in his younger days, played both Chip (Beauty and the Beast) and Gavroche. That makes him worth a damn in my book. :D (FYI: I don't listen to their music).
They all three look the same to me. :D In the teen idol genre, I think you'd be much better off with the Sprouse twins -- although I couldn't tell you which was which with them either. But they were on The View a couple months ago and they were genuinely charming.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

1. Five of the six movies acting awards went to Commonwealth (ok, Ireland is not really one, but still) thespians. Only best actor went to one of the five Americans nominated. This tendency was also manifested in the TV awards. And with last year's lineup of winners still fresh in memory, one must be wondering.

2. Female film makers will never really make it in Hollywood, wont they? In his speech, Spielberg went all mushy about the tradition of creative mentor/protégée bond which is so important for immerging directors. And he named many names of white males. I whish someone would have said something about it. But Streep wasn't invited onstage.

3. And while we're talking Meryl here (and her ability to make acceptance speeches which actually say something). I don't really care for off screen Kate Winslet. She's a good actress who's able to convey emotional depth, but I'm afraid she's not the brightest light bulb out there, or at least not a very interesting one. She made a very good job on the red carpet making DiCaprio looks literate and fluent. And in interviews she comes of as nice, slightly self centered person, who says the politically correct stuff, but somehow it sounds like second hand ideas. And while I totally got Sally Hawkins, being really out of her comfort zone, being so genuinely shaken, I found Winslet's similar mannerism to be just this.

4. VCB's win is really grotesque. Mama Mia was bad, amateurish in a graceless way but still I wasn't as uncomfortable watching it as with VCB, which made me feel embarrassed for Allen.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”