GG: Drama Actor

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Given Brolin's drunken NY speech, I feel comfortable in assuming that Russell Crowe's not the easiest to work with. Of course, despite roughing up a BAFTA producer, he doesn't have that "extreme rudeness" on the sets or anything (and of course, he lost the oscar after that incident).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the argument will be less "Does Sean Penn deserve it" and more "Mickey Rourke is an asshat and can't keep his mouth shut." Tonight is just proof of that, while it was a heartfelt speech and I kind of liked it, it was crass at times and elicited a flip off from Aronofsky (thankfully, most Oscar voters have voted with ballots due today, so that may not hurt Aronofsky's chances of landing a coveted mismatch Best Director nomination, which still remains a possibility). But, the Globes don't tend to care about how celebrities act. They want celebrities to win and be present at their awards (notice how both Kate and Meryl made the Globes while ignoring the BFcA, though Penn didn't make it last night either...but maybe he knew he wouldn't win here?). So, they are more forgiving than the Academy. After all, Eddie Murphy has long had an attitude and may have shot himself in the foot with his past behavior. Who with a majorly nasty or exceedingly rude background/history has managed to overcome that and win an Oscar?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

dylanfan23 wrote:2. I didn't buy the homophobic arguement with brokeback and i won't buy it here neither, maybe i'm naive but i don't see it having a huge bearing on this award. This is and always has been a very liberal group. y won oscars. I think they like him alright...and again the fact he gave an amazing performance and they have been awarding the great performances recently helps too.

I think Brokeback Mountain was particularly tough for a certain old-guard crowd to wrap their minds around because it was seen (by those who didn't see it) as some kind of desecration of, or at least a stunt piggybacking on, the traditional Hollywood genre of the Western. Milk doesn't have this drawback.

Also, there's the Prop. 8 thing. Sending the Harvey Milk biopic home without a major Oscar this year (and Best Actor seems most likely one right now) is something I suspect a significant portion of the Academy is not interested in doing if they can help avoid it.

Edited By rain Bard on 1231743126
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

1. of course its rare...its rare that an actor gives an oscarworthy performance twice in 10 years...but the fact that it has happened twice so recently and one of them being hilary swank, i don't think because he already won will stop many voters for putting his name down, espesially if they think this performance is his best performance to date, which most probably will.

2. I didn't buy the homophobic arguement with brokeback and i won't buy it here neither, maybe i'm naive but i don't see it having a huge baring on this award. This is and always has been a very liberal group.

3. Going back to my last statement, this is a very liberal group...its not a coincidence every other speech tonight had some mention of obama loving..his arguements against the iraq war were not outside the box or what most people in the industry and most people with half a brain have been saying since 2002. From what i understand, penn is an extremely liked and respected person in the business...he got a standing ovation on thursday night and i have a feeling he's going to get another one at the oscars, like the one he got when he won for mystic river..if you remember he got a reception they usually give winners with grey hair when they win. His reception mirrored the ovation they gave to scorsese or dylan when they won oscars. I think they like him alright...and again the fact he gave an amazing performance and they have been awarding the great performances recently helps too.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

There are 3 reasons Penn will not win for Milk;-

1. He won just a few years ago - and with the exception of Tom Hanks and Hilary Swank - it is rare for an actor to win a second Oscar within 10 years.

2. He is portraying a gay man - and there are still Academy members like Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine who will NOT vote for anything promoting a gay lifestyle! Remember what these 2 men said about Brokeback? And these were 2 members who were willing to disclose their homophobia! Imagine how many more of the 4000 or so members who feel the same way?

3. Sean Penn is hated by the Republican members of the Academy. Remember his outspoken views about the Iraq War and about George W??? Same reasoning why Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins will NEVER win an Oscar ever again!

I believe the award will go to either Rourke or Langella.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

i'm not saying rourke won't win...and he might win...and it wouldn't be a horrible thing...i'm just saying penn gave a great performance...so its hard to say somebody is much more deserving than a great performance. Rourke did give a very good speech tonight and people seem to like him and his film and performance are easy to love. But people love penn even more...and i'm sure a lot of voters feel this is penn's best performance of many great performances so they will feel the need to vote for him even if they did give him one already...and they'll conclude that lesser actors have multiple leading awards. But as of right now i'd say its a 50/40 leaning towards penn. With 10 still left for clint.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Hustler wrote:Mickey is going to defeat Sean Penn next February.

if penn had not won just a couple years ago, it would be sean penn's all the way. however, he did win and rourke just has this momentum behind his performance as a career comeback. i am surprised langella is not putting up more of a fight. his performance does not equal rourke and penn's but it stays with you long after the movie is over. along with dicaprio and jenkins, it has been a pretty good year for lead male performances. the five i just mentioned would make a great line-up of nominees. hopefully pitt and eastwood do not come along to ruin that.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1231736215
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

dylanfan23 wrote:much more deserved? brando in streetcar wouldn't even be "much" more deserving.
Oy. Suddenly relishing my vote for The Wrestler as the most overrated 2008 movie a little bit more. (Rourke is fine in the movie, I'll admit, but the hype for the movie itself is I suspect the same sort of "great leading male performance = great film" prejudice that worked Capote and Ray into the best picture field.)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mickey is going to defeat Sean Penn next February.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect a small minority of voters might be afraid to vote for him for fear of another middle finger appearing on national TV.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

much more deserved? brando in streetcar wouldn't even be "much" more deserving.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

It's a good one, but Jim, you didn't think Sean Penn was also amazing and maybe equally as deserving? I guess maybe my issue is with the "much more deserved" comment...
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Great choice! Much more deserved than Sean Penn.
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Not a bad pick.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

YES!!

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”