GG: Original Score

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

HarryGoldfarb, I wouldn't worry too much about WALL-E's score not receiving an Oscar nod. The score category is one place the Globes really diverge from the Oscars -- previous Pixar nominees Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille weren't slated by the Globes but showed up at Oscar time. I'd be pretty shocked if Thomas Newman weren't nominated at the Oscars, especially for such fine work.

I'm with Penelope in thinking the music is a key element of Slumdog, so I was pleased to see it win tonight. (It's also the kind of score that typically ISN'T recognized with awards, so whether it's just being swept up in the popularity for that film or not, it's nice to see it noticed.)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

jack wrote:I still think The Dark Knight will win this come Oscar time.
I think Thomas Newman will finally win it for WALL-E. A.R. Rahman could win for Original Song instead.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:I just watched it a few nights ago, and remember nothing at all about the score.
I don't recall anything about it either -- seems like it was just generic superhero/summer blockbuster music.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Hollywood Z wrote:

There's no way that it can, the Academy declared it ineligible due to the fact that Zimmer & Howard credited other composers for assisting on their cue sheets. They did it to include them on the royalties, the academy's music branch took it as an excuse to consider them ineligible. This from a branch that can give Gustavo Santololallo a second oscar in a row for a film that utilized primarily his previously release scores, most noteably Iguazu, which they even played at the ceremony.
From the Hollywood Reporter:
"The Dark Knight"

The executive committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' music branch has reversed a decision on the original score from "The Dark Knight" and deemed it eligible for an Oscar in the best original score category.

The branch initially ruled Nov. 10 that there were too many composers involved in the score; the Academy generally only considers scores that are the work of one or at most two composers.

But after reviewing the submission, it concluded that Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard were the main composers and accepted the duo's work for Warner Bros.' Batman film as eligible.

The Academy said that since ballots had not been mailed, the decision would not affect the voting process.
'Dark Knight' score is Oscar eligible
Academy reverses Nov. 10 decision citing too many composers
By Steven Zeitchik

Dec 8, 2008, 11:41 PM ET

The executive committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' music branch has reversed a decision on the original score from "The Dark Knight" and deemed it eligible for an Oscar in the best original score category.

The branch initially ruled Nov. 10 that there were too many composers involved in the score; the Academy generally only considers scores that are the work of one or at most two composers.

But after reviewing the submission, it concluded that Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard were the main composers and accepted the duo's work for Warner Bros.' Batman film as eligible.

The Academy said that since ballots had not been mailed, the decision would not affect the voting process.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

There's no way that it can, the Academy declared it ineligible due to the fact that Zimmer & Howard credited other composers for assisting on their cue sheets. They did it to include them on the royalties, the academy's music branch took it as an excuse to consider them ineligible. This from a branch that can give Gustavo Santololallo a second oscar in a row for a film that utilized primarily his previously release scores, most noteably Iguazu, which they even played at the ceremony.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The music is an integral element in the film's success--it keeps the energy of the film high, alongside the direction and editing. A much-deserved win.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think the award for Rahman is like Armstrong's for Moulin Rouge - there's just a lot of music. The "Millionaire" theme, "O Saya," "Jai Ho" - and of course, "Paper Planes." Whether or not it's his, it's used quite prominently in the film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm still astounded Rahman keeps winning. The only memorable part of his score is the song Jai Ho. The rest is utterly forgettable.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Latika's Theme alone is a fine piece of music that has stuck on me since the very first time I listened to it. Not groundbreaking, just filled with some kind of intimacy, of simplyness (if that word exists) and sweetness. It's haunting and beautiful with a taste of longing, of desire... I just like it. However, my favorite score so far this year is Wall-E's. Can't believe it wasn't nominated and it will be truly disappointing not to see it getting a nod come Oscar morning
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I just watched it a few nights ago, and remember nothing at all about the score.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Really? I listen to the soundtrack quite regularly.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

jack wrote:
dws1982 wrote:

I sure hope not.

I sure hope so.
I didn't hate the movie like Penelope, but I can't remember one interesting theme or musical cue in the entire thing.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

yea i'm not a fan of him in general...but he was very good in that tv movie that was nominated
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

dws1982 wrote:

I sure hope not.
I sure hope so.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I am so sick of the smugness that comes out of Sean Combs. He's not that talented...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”