GG: Comedy/Musical Picture

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I was rooting for Happy-Go-Lucky, but after preparing myself for a Mamma Mia! win, Vicky Cristina was a nice surprise.

Seriously, thank GOD Mamma Mia! lost.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

VCB was a delightful surprise - Woody Allen back to his Annie Hall / Hannah best - with a twist of Almodovar.

My personal choice would have been Mamma Mia - but It's one of those movies you either love or hate.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I'll be seeing in bruges this week...but i liked vcb very much.....as i did happy go lucky....i thought both had very well written characters and had very good perfromances...and i have always had a taste for woody and leigh...so i was kind of hoping vcb would win after sally took best acress...so i'm happy with how it all turned out...we'll see after i see in bruges. I didn't care for mama mia at all and was very dissappointed with burn after reading.
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Happy-Go-Lucky was wonderful, but I think that's largely because of Sally Hawkins.

I didn't get a chance to see VCB or In Bruges (wasn't interested in the latter), but Happy-Go-Lucky was certainly better than Mamma Mia!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

This is a staggeringly bad movie, I think. Happy-Go-Lucky robbed.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

No, I missed seeing Happy Go Lucky, and it's no longer playing.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Have you seen Happy-Go-Lucky yet? I like In Bruges, but the Leigh flick was my favourite of the category, not having seen Mamma Mia.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

An unbelievably bad movie. In Bruges shoulda won.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”