Broadcast Film Critics Association Winners

dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Oh come on...i don't buy that...i didn't watch the red carpet but i remember seeing him early in the show at a close table and i said to my girlfriend what is he doing there...you don't give somebody an award like that and don't tell them what its for...i just think he figured hey i've bullshitted thousands of times and was funny and charming i'll just do it again and for some reason it didn't happen...and like i said i've always thought he was a pretty good guy and i figured he'd be good at something like that...but it was not pleasant..both his speech and diane lane's introduction. But he did say very positive things and i still think he's a good guy and an entertaining actor.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:I can't remember, but it may have been Melissa Leo who was obnoxious last night as a presenter.

Yup. Confirmed. Melissa Leo presented with Marisa Tomei. Here's a link to pictures from the awards. Go to picture 33 for confirmation.

http://www.pixcetera.com/popeater/critics-choice-awards-pics/44795
Thanks
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Well, according to what I remember from the red carpet, he knew he was getting it and also what it was for. I could be wrong.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Gere was in a jovial mood on the red carpet and throughtout the evening until Diane Lane started speaking.

He knew he was getting the award, but may have thought it was a career achievement award as opposed to a humanitarian award and had to jettison his prepared speech and wing it. It was rather embarrassing.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

dylanfan23 wrote:oh god, i forgot to mention that disastor...first of all having that award and secondly the fact richard gere figured he could wing a 5 minute acceptance speech and figuring 30 seconds in in that he couldn't. I've always thought gere was a charming likable guy but if you know your gonna talk for five minutes, maybe at least think about what you want to say. So you don't pause and have seconds of silence 10 times. Not that he said things i didn't agree with in the end...but i wouldn't want things said like that to fight my cause for me.
The impression I got was that he didn't know that he was getting the award. He looked surprised and a bit uncertain when he walk through the audience to the stage.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

oh god, i forgot to mention that disastor...first of all having that award and secondly the fact richard gere figured he could wing a 5 minute acceptance speech and figuring 30 seconds in in that he couldn't. I've always thought gere was a charming likable guy but if you know your gonna talk for five minutes, maybe at least think about what you want to say. So you don't pause and have seconds of silence 10 times. Not that he said things i didn't agree with in the end...but i wouldn't want things said like that to fight my cause for me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:I knew these things were on TV the other night, but I didn't give a first -- let alone second -- thought about watching them. I watched once -- I think 2002 awards, and that was more than enough. I'm gratified that all your comments indicate that my time was much better spent reading a book that evening.

I heard there was a Joel Siegel award. That's hilarious! Does it go to the year's most idiotic quote whore? If so, that would probably be the most difficult award to decide -- so many deserving recipients.
The Joel Siegel Award went to Richard Gere as best I could tell for his support of the Delhi Lama and Tibetan Buddhists. At least that's all presenter Diane Lane and he talked about. He accepted the award on behalf of the Tibetans and the Chinese people under oppression from their leaders.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I knew these things were on TV the other night, but I didn't give a first -- let alone second -- thought about watching them. I watched once -- I think 2002 awards, and that was more than enough. I'm gratified that all your comments indicate that my time was much better spent reading a book that evening.

I heard there was a Joel Siegel award. That's hilarious! Does it go to the year's most idiotic quote whore? If so, that would probably be the most difficult award to decide -- so many deserving recipients.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Some thoughts.

This a pretty lame show usually and it was this year...as much as i usually like watching these things i really think they should stick with just having the globes, sags and oscars...for the reason they all have their place, globes is the party, sags is recognition of their peers and the oscars is the big night. Everything else is kind of in no mans land.

Somebody else mentioned the I've loved you for so long give away...i was thinking the same thing when they said that during the reading of forign film nominees. And i also remember thinking wow maybe it was a better film than the one i watched.

I thought hathaway's speech was way over the top, you save those kind of hysterics for the oscars or the sags. That being said, i couldn't be happier with her winning and it would have been wonderful to see streep there with her, streep always gives greats speeches and always is very aware of where she's at(hathaway wasn't), she would have been penn like.

Speaking of penn, he was very sincere and charming and funny. Best speech of the night by far...and his win was well deserved..couldn't be happier with all three actor winners actually.

Is nolon going to accept ledgers award at the globes too i wonder? He did a solid job here.

Viola davis gave a very nice speech for meryl...i do think she's going to win somewhere, i'm not sure where though, i don't think its going to be at the oscars..i'm thinking at the sags...but maybe thats just because they gave an award to dee last year for a small but powerful role and davis was twice as good as she was in a smaller but more powerful role. But sag also leans towards the older nominee. But whereever she wins, i think she will do a nice job with her speech.

The slumdog triple...i have a feeling this is going to continue...I actually saw the film right before watching these awards and i did think it was a great film. That being said, i don't think its one of the best films of the year..and i still have to see button, i've had some health issues so i'm a little behind but hopefully will be seeing it tomorrow. I've seen about 60 films and for my money milk has been the best. I also thought frost/nixon and rachel getting married were not far behind...and changeling deserved a lot better notices. But anyhow i'm getting off track, after seeing slumdog, its going to be hard for members not to vote for it. It's such an uplifting story and its very well told by boyle...everything from the position of the subtitles to the humor, its just very audience friendly(which is not a bad thing). I saw it in a small theater and people were cheering along and shouting "yes" at certain parts...it was something to see. I don't think its a masterpiece for a few reasons, but i can't take away the good feelings it did bring and the very good story it told. I think boyle did a phenominal job at taking the material to the next level and i definately see him winning the director award and the film will probably follow. I wish they thought of milk as highly as i do, but thats just not going to win...maybe a boyle director, wall e or dark knight win...but that would be way out of left field...frost/nixon is the michael clayton, good night good luck nominee so no chance...i'll have more thoughts about button's chances after i see it.

But i'd very shocked if the nominees in two weeks werent

Curious Case
Frost Nixon
Milk
Slumdog

And Dark knight after curious case or wall e at the end.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't remember, but it may have been Melissa Leo who was obnoxious last night as a presenter.

Yup. Confirmed. Melissa Leo presented with Marisa Tomei. Here's a link to pictures from the awards. Go to picture 33 for confirmation.

http://www.pixcetera.com/popeater/critics-choice-awards-pics/44795

Edited By OscarGuy on 1231559011
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:where were Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet, they have to be in the L.A. area for the Golden Globes on Sunday or are they going to skip them as well?
Can't speak for Streep, but Winslet was in NY last night doing Letterman.

Can anyone edify me who the rather loudmouthed redhead was presenting alongside Marisa Tomei? I kept seeing her and didn't have a clue who she was.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Crappy show beginning with the usual gushing arrivals nonsense.

Jason Alexander was totally obnoxious. I never before realized what a "little" man he is both literally and figuratively. There was nothing at all funny about all that crap with his 89 year-old mother. Those cameos by no-name "critics" were dumb. The least they could have done was scroll their names at the bottom of the screen.

What was with Sean Penn's late arrival? Was he really "parking the car" as Emile Hirsch said? If so, bravo for him, but why didn't they bring Diego Luna up on stage? He was there, sitting next to Hirsch.

James Franco, I assume, couldn't come because it was a school night, but where were Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet, they have to be in the L.A. area for the Golden Globes on Sunday or are they going to skip them as well?

The bit with Darren Aronofsky was embarrassing, but was it his fault or the producers? I suspect the latter. The presenters were probably instructed to say they would accept on behalf of an absent winner. There was no reason for Katy Perry to know who he was.

I've never seen Anne Hathaway at an awards ceremony before. I found her charming, if a bit flustered. She provided one of the evening's genuine moments thanking her father for showing how what good a man should be obviously after the public embarrassment of her break-up with her impostor/jailbird fiance.

As for the awards themselves, what can one say? The nominations were predictable and so were the wins, so what? If you were expecting surprises, you should have tuned in Law & Order, CSI or some other police procedural.

I still haven't taken my Christmas decorations down, so I guess it's still OK to say "bah, humbug!"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Something is still telling me that Viola Davis will take it (and what a lovely, poised and humorous acceptance speech she gave for La Meryl last night).

I have to disagree. Anyone who is willing to annoy its audience by saying "I will be brief.." only to go into a gushing list of people who worked on the film can't be that poised.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I thought we had agreed through the years that the Globes don't say anything about the eventual Oscar nominations.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

MovieWes wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Even in its worst and most unbearable years, the Academy Awards and, to a larger extent, the Golden Globes, have never been as achingly unwatchable as last night's show. Jason Alexander had a few astute barbs, the rest of his schtick was tired and unoriginal. The night moved along laboriously and the "band" they had was rather a silly idea.

I'm glad I decided to watch the FedEx College National Championship game then. :p

I was watching that through my totally hot straight neighbor's window when I went out on the deck for a cigarette during the BFCA's :p.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231532924
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”