Broadcast Film Critics Association Winners

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

OscarGuy wrote:Even in its worst and most unbearable years, the Academy Awards and, to a larger extent, the Golden Globes, have never been as achingly unwatchable as last night's show. Jason Alexander had a few astute barbs, the rest of his schtick was tired and unoriginal. The night moved along laboriously and the "band" they had was rather a silly idea.
I'm glad I decided to watch the FedEx College National Championship game then. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That was probably their most egregious offense. I've heard a couple of members of the OFCS gripe about "quote whores" and this has just proven that they are, at least whomever organizes this event, just a bunch of quote whores. That and true organizations don't work into their awards shows their capability to predict Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

They also couldn't be bothered to cull through their respective nominees' films for a worthy clip of acting, opting instead to throw up pre-canned montages mostly made up of footage available from the film trailer with one word excerpts from their "reviews" wasting valuable air time. Best Actor didn't even get THAT.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231523520
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Even in its worst and most unbearable years, the Academy Awards and, to a larger extent, the Golden Globes, have never been as achingly unwatchable as last night's show. Jason Alexander had a few astute barbs, the rest of his schtick was tired and unoriginal. The night moved along laboriously and the "band" they had was rather a silly idea.

The only positive I can say is that there were a few, non-star presenter pairings that really seemed to work, although their canned dialogue was just plain awful.

It's no wonder this show was relegated to VH-1...none of the more respectable outlets would bother. Obviously, the BFCA's attempts at making their group seem like the Globes of American critics isn't working. Yes, they attracted some stars, but mostly they were the ones being paid to be there or were up for nominations. Even then, several notable no shows included Meryl Streep, James Franco & Dev Patel. But there were exceedingly few industry names at the ceremony that weren't presenters or nominees.

I can only hope this low-brow kudos/self-congratulatory fest the BFCA has thrown two years running will wither and die like most other non-mainstay awards programs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

There's not very much original music in the film at all, most of it being borrowed from Michael Nyman's scores for Peter Greenaway films. Was the theme played at the BFCA original or from Nyman?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I know that the general consensus here is that Man on Wire is dumbfoundedly overrated, but I have to say that the original music composed for the documentary (which I heard as that chick was walking up to accept the BFCA) is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Other thoughts:

- Way to give away a major plot point of I've Loved You So Long in introducing Kristin Scott Thomas. That was sort of ridic.

- Viriginia Madsen was drunk or on something, but she was sexily fun during her presentation of whatever award it was.

- Katy Perry's Darren Aronofsky recognition snub was embarrassing.

- Angela Bassett (we'll see you at the Emmy's next year for your "ER" performance) must bathe in unicorn blood and wash her face with the spunk of virgin twinks. It's the only explanation for that flawless, glowing skin.

- Anne Hathaway comes off so amateur in these awards shows.

- What are Kate Winslet's chances for winning the supporting Oscar for The Reader? Is she even definitely going to be nominated? Something is still telling me that Viola Davis will take it (and what a lovely, poised and humorous acceptance speech she gave for La Meryl last night).

- As for the now-infamous "tie" between Hathaway and Streep...let's just remember that it was these folks who had a tie in Best Supporting Actress in 2005 between Michelle Williams and Amy Adams, neither of whom went on to win the Oscar.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231513979
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:For those who don't think Benjamin Button is striking it well with audiences, it is currently ranked #66 on IMDb's all-time list with 26,621 votes and an 8.5 rating. It has a Yahoo user's average rating of A-. So, those who have said it isn't connecting with audiences may be speaking too soon..

as an interesting addendum to that, according to boxoffice mojo THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON overtook MARLEY AND ME (just barely) on wednesday to be the number one film. not a big deal, but it is interesting that it has been working its way up the ladder through good word of mouth. if by some movie miracle, it is able to overcome the latest stupid hetero comedy being released (BRIDE WARS i think is what it is called) and win the weekend, then we definitely have an audience driven hit on our hands. that does not guarantee oscar success (just ask WALK THE LINE), but it could be a barometer about whether oscar voters are enjoying it or not.

wednesday boxoffice:
1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -- $1,383,926
2. Marley and Me -- $1,382,909
3. Valkyrie -- $1,024,501

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1231513075
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

A tie. The thing I have been dreaming of to see at the Oscars since I started watching them in 1992. I would love to hear:

"And the best supporting actress Oscar goes to...It's a tie."
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I view the Broadcasters as less critics expressing an opinion than prognosticators voting for who they think will win the Oscar six and a half weeks from now. Thus, they give us the prevailing post-Christmas conventional wisdom, which is absolutely Slumdog Millionaire at this moment. We'll see if the Globes chime in behind them, or create an alternate scenario for Benjamin Button (the only other plausible option).

With performers, they're hit and miss, again because they're only trying to pick the Oscar choices. Last year they went with Julie Christie and Amy Ryan, at the moment when we mostly all thought they'd both win. Of this year's picks, Ledger is obviously unimpeachable, and Penn is approaching the same level. Sunday night's Globes will be key, given the HFPA near-total snub of Milk. If, a la Philip Seymour Hoffman, Penn wins despite his film's shutout, the rout may be on. If Rourke or Langella wins instead, we could have an interesting contest.

Among the females, it's alot more interesting. My thought when the best actress tie was announced: They don't have a clue who's going to win the Oscar! They're throwing darts at the wall, and may have completely missed. As for supporting actress, they apparently don't believe in any Cruz juggernaut, and, having passed on even nominating Winslet for Revolutionary, may be trying to promote her for a Jessica Lange '82-like consolation prize. Again, we'll have to check the Globes to see if this notion gets widespread support. I'm dubious of the idea of voters casting ballots so strategically rather than for specific performance...but you could make the case Clooney won his Syriana Oscar on vaguely the same principle.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best comparison may be 1996 when The English Patient, the romantic epic, swept the Oscars against the critics' darling Fargo. L.A. Confidential had the Titanic juggernaut. SPR came up against a surprise SiL win. Sideways expectedly lost to another film, it just happened to be Million Dollar Baby. Sense and Sensibility lost to Braveheart and BBM lost to Crash. So, of those, English Patient may best compare to Benjamin Button, but if Button continues its strong box office performance, it could be more akin to Titanic. But I don't know for sure.

For those who don't think Benjamin Button is striking it well with audiences, it is currently ranked #66 on IMDb's all-time list with 26,621 votes and an 8.5 rating. It has a Yahoo user's average rating of A-. So, those who have said it isn't connecting with audiences may be speaking too soon.

I want to see how the Globes handle this and how the guilds reward before making any predictions, but I'd still say Benjamin Button is a strong contender to beat Slumdog to Best Picture.
Wesley Lovell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

It's not that I think Slumdog is unbeatable. I just don't think there's anything else out there to beat it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's not call this closed right this second. This group followed critics rolls for Fargo, L.A. Confidential, Saving Private Ryan, Sideways and Brokeback Mountain. Sense and Sensibility is the only film they've diverged with the Academy on that wasn't a critics sweeper to win this award and that was their first year of voting.

They agreed on No Country, The Departed, Return of the King, Chicago, Beautiful Mind, Gladiator and American Beauty.

The question is: Is Slumdog Millionaire a The Departed, Return of the King, Chicago, Beautiful Mind, Gladiator or American Beauty kind of film or is it one of the others? It's hard to say...really hard. The ones they agreed on were mostly foregone conclusions with the exception of Beautiful Mind and Gladiator. And I don't think Slumdog is a foregone conclusion.

And, Z, they've been wrong 6 times.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1231475619
Wesley Lovell
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Well, of their 13 years in existence, they've only been wrong 5 times, which is pretty much the Golden Globe's history of winners in that same time frame. I think that once the Globe winners are announced, we'll have a more accurate "barometer."
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

We can hem and haw, but this is Slumdog's year in a stroll. There's just plain nothing else out there with the same sort of momentum.

Interesting, though, that the group that prides itself on being an accurate Oscar barometer gives out a highly-unlikely tie.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Perhaps the wind may change in the weeks to come.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”