Razzie predictions

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I guess I didn't realize that was an official "finalists" list so much as a list of suggestions to voters.

That said, there's really no way they're going to nominate stuff like that because they're too devoted these days to making sure The Hottie and the Nottie gets recognition.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They can't nominate either Australia nor Mamma Mia because neither film is on their "finalists" list.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

It seems to me this year has enough candidates that a good-old-fashioned list of "significant" bad movies could be whittled together for the worst movie category (hearkening back to the days of Mommie Dearest and Howard the Duck; hell even The Postman), instead of merely falling back on the knee-jerk insignificantly bad movies they've come to favor as of late (the latest tossoffs from Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Eddie Murphy, et al) ... they could really recapture their mojo if they nominated, for instance:

Australia
The Happening
Mamma Mia!
Seven Pounds
The Women
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just saw Speed Racer. I loathe it only in that there is absolutely nothing for me in it but it has an astonishing bugfuckery to it. I felt like I was watching something that had no business being made in the first place. It's so long, riddled with excess, loud, and full of unenjoyable characterizations, but what it does is so far set apart from most boringly bad movies that I rather admire it. They made exactly the movie they wanted to and while it's certainly not for me, I'd rank it highly above the likes of The Happening, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

That kid Paulie Litt needs to be thrown down a fucking well.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I can see Speed Racer grow to be a cult hit in the years to come. It's definitely worth seeing if you like acid-trip films, and I like it for that aspect. You just have to get past the deliberately corny acting and plot, and if you can, you'd probably enjoy it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rain Bard wrote:I will say that, Razzies or no, I do want to at some point see Speed Racer and JCVD for myself, since people whose taste I have a certain amount of trust in have highly recommended them.
Ditto. The reactions of a lot of critics I trust would suggest JCVD is the great movie that The Wrestler most definitely is not. And Speed Racer looks like a "live-action" Wipeout XL, which if true would be brain-melting.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I will say that, Razzies or no, I do want to at some point see Speed Racer and JCVD for myself, since people whose taste I have a certain amount of trust in have highly recommended them.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

An American Carol and Speed Racer are not masterpieces, but I enjoyed them. The Razzies seems to be far more political than they need to be. They made a mockery out of their awards a few years ago by giving Fahrenheit 9/11 a bunch of ridiculous comedy nods. Now they nominate Bill O'Reilly. They like to make a statement, but they could make a serious list of the worst films of the year, for films that have the general consensus that they are bad.

The Zucker comedy wasn't perfect, as some scenes were unecessary (the butt-surgery scene), but a lot of the jokes were funny and it made some good points from a conservative perspective. Of course, many critics panned it, because it was not in line with their sense of humor. I agree it could have been better, perhaps funnier, but it was more entertaining than a lot of those spoof movies that Hollywood has cranked out in recent years.

Speed Racer just doesn't belong here in my opinion. I found it very entertaining, if not particularly nutritious for the brain.

Edited By criddic3 on 1230881129
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Gillian Anderson could read the phone book to me.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

barrybrooks8 wrote:I don't remember them being gay.
supposedly there was some dialogue about them being married in massachusetts. gillian anderson must have really needed the money. hopeful she will go back to starring in bbc stuff like BLEAK HOUSE. i always liked her as an actress, especially in THE HOUSE OF MIRTH.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No Beverly Hills Chihuahua, no Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull...not even Mamma Mia!? I guess the Razzie committee is made up of heterosexual dudes who didn't see it. But like me I just assumed they'd know it was the worst movie of the year. No matter.

WORST FILM
An American Carol
The Happening
The Love Guru
Postal: The Movie
Speed Racer
--comments--wow. No kidding it's a recession. Boll, Shyamalan, Mike Myers, The Wachowski Brothers (did Larry fully reassign?), and FOX News. I think Postal will win everything.

WORST DIRECTOR
Uwe Boll, Postal: The Movie
Marco Schnabel, The Love Guru
M. Night Shyamalan, The Happening
Andy & Laura Wachowski, Speed Racer
David Zucker, An American Carol
--comments--is Marco related to Julian? I would normally say Shyamalan but Postal is a very special kind of Boll movie.

WORST ACTOR
Hayden Cristensen, Jumper
Eddie Murphy, Meet Dave
Mike Myers, The Love Guru
Adam Sandler, Bedtime Stories AND You Don't Mess with the Zohan
Mark Wahlburg, The Happening & Max Payne
--comments--I think that Myers will be eviscerated for his astonishingly limited superstar status, but the same could be said for Wahlburg.

WORST ACTRESS
Jessica Alba, The Eye AND The Love Guru
Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Meg Ryan, and Jada Pinkett-Smith, The Women
Kate Hudson, Fool's Gold & My Best Friend's Girl
Paris Hilton, The Hottie and the Nottie AND Repo! The Genetic Opera
Kristen Stewart, Twilight
--Paris.

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Uwe Boll, Postal: The Movie
Bill O’Reilly, An American Carol
Rob Schneider, Don't Mess with the Zohan
Jon Voight, An American Carol, Four Christmases, Pride and Glory AND Probably Five Other Movies This Year
Verne Troyer, The Love Guru AND Postal: The Movie
--that's not even including Justin Timberlake or Samuel L. Jackson. Bill O'Reilly or Mini-Me? Jon Voight as George Washington or Rob Schneider as a Palestinian terrorist? Uwe Boll as Himself? I think Bill O'Reilly.

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Zooey Deschanel, The Happening AND Yes Man
Carmen Electra, Meet the Spartans AND Disaster Movie
Eva Mendes, The Spirit AND The Women
Bette “Giant Monster” Midler, The Women
Thandie Newton, W.
--comments--no idea. Carmen Electra again? Maybe Eva Mendes.

WORST SCREENPLAY
An American Carol
The Happening
The Love Guru
Speed Racer

WORST ON-SCREEN DUO
Uwe Boll AND Anybody or Anything, Postal
Zoey Deschanel & Mark Wahlburg, The Happening
Kevin Farley & And Ghost From Past, Present, or Future Misrepresentation, An American Carol
Paulie Litt & That Fucking Monkey, Speed Racer (They both need to die. I’m not kidding.)
Kristen Stewart & That Dude Whose Name I Will Never Remember, Twilight

WORST REMAKE/SEQUEL
An American Carol
The Love Guru...to The Austin Powers Series
Speed Racer
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
The Women

THINNEST PREMISE FOR A MOVIE
10,000 BC
The Happening
The Women
You Don't Mess with the Zohan

Edited By Sabin on 1230788075
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

WORST PICTURE:
Beer for My Horses
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
The Happening
Meet Dave
The Punisher: War Zone
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

barrybrooks8 wrote:I don't remember them being gay.
Here's a review from gay media website AfterElton that takes the movie to task for the homophobia: review.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

WORST PICTURE
10,000 B.C.
Disaster Movie
The Happening
The Love Guru
Meet Dave

WORST DIRECTOR
Roland Emmerich, 10,000 B.C.
David Zucker, An American Carol
Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie
M. Night Shyamalan, The Happening
Marco Schnabel, The Love Guru

WORST ACTOR
Tom Cruise, Valkyrie
Eddie Murphy, Meet Dave
Mike Myers, The Love Guru
Sylvester Stallone, Rambo
Mark Wahlberg, The Happening and Max Payne

WORST ACTRESS
Jessica Alba, The Eye and The Love Guru
Paris Hilton, The Hottie and The Nottie and Repo! The Genetic Opera
Katie Holmes, Mad Money
Eva Longoria Parker, Over Her Dead Body
Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing, Eva Mendes, Bette Midler and Candice Bergen, The Women

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Samuel L. Jackson, The Spirit, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Jumper
Paulie Litt, Speed Racer
Eddie Murphy, Meet Dave
Bill O'Reilly, An American Carol
Justin Timberlake, The Love Guru

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Camilla Belle, 10,000 B.C.
Zooey Deschanel, The Happening and Yes Man
Carmen Electra, Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie
Kim Kardashian, Disaster Movie
Thandie Newton, W.

WORST SCREENPLAY
10,000 B.C.
Disaster Movie
The Happening
Meet the Spartans
The Women

WORST ON-SCREEN DUO
Steven Strait and either Camilla Bell or Cliff Curtis, 10,000 B.C.
Paris Hilton and Christine Lakin, The Hottie and The Nottie
Eddie Murphy and Eddie Murphy, Meet Dave
Any two cast members, Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans
Paulie Litt and the chimp, Speed Racer
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I don't remember them being gay.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”