ASC Nominees

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Also, wouldn't it be sad for Roger Deakins to be double-nominated AGAIN this year...and lose both again!
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, kudos to the cinematographers for ignoring Australia. It's the kind of BIG, "beautiful"-looking movie that's certainly big, but isn't actually beautiful at all -- in fact, given all that landscape on display, it's surprising how ugly-looking it all is.

I don't there's anything remotely interesting about the visuals in The Reader. The other four are pretty good, though.

That being said, as we've discussed with other categories this year, what else COULD they have nominated? I guess you could say Milk, given the Best Picture pull, as well as the fact that everyone should know Harris Savides is a pretty big deal right now (and majorly overdue for some industry recognition), but even then Milk lacks the kind of visual beauty that would usually yield a nomination. (Though it's worth noting that films of this type often received Cinematography Oscar nominations in the '70s.)

You'd probably have to go as far out of the Oscar race as Hou Hsiao-hsien and Jia Zhangke to find additional candidates with top visual credentials.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Revolutionary Road, despite other flaws, is unquestionably one of the most gorgeously photographed movies of the year. It fully deserves a nomination.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

I'm gonna say that Benjamin Button, Dark Knight and Slumdog are now assured nominees. Personally, I'm gonna give the edge to Revolutionary Road, if only because of two factors: one, Roger Deakins has such a massive track record of nominations with no wins (7, if I'm not mistaken) and two, It would take a lot for a movie with two cinematographers to get nominated, especially when one of them left the set. The ASC could be nominating Roger for both if only because of his prestigious background and the fact that he just happened to do two movies.

So, for Best Cinematography (for now), I'm gonna call:

-Australia
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
-The Dark Knight
-Revolutionary Road
-Slumdog Millionaire
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Some facts. Only twice in its 22-year history has the ASC nominated five-for-five with the Oscars. 2007 was a rare occurrence and the last time was 1996, but there were 6 nominees that year, giving them a little extra breathing room.

12 times have 4 nominees matched
7 times have 3 nominees matched
1 time has 2 nominees matched

They have never not had less than 2 carry over.

So, what this means is that it's possible, though highly unlikely that all five of these will be the Oscar nominees. It's more likely four of them will be with a better-than-average chance there will be a three-fer match.

So, I'd say Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire and Dark Knight appear to be the three most likely to carry over. I could see both Revolutionary Road and The Reader being ignored, but if we have to go four, I'd put Revolutionary Road in ahead of The Reader.

Oddly enough, before these were even announced, this was my exact list of predictions for Oscar nominees. Of those waiting in the ranks, I have a hard time seeing any but Milk or Australia picking up extra nods at this point. We could also see a case of Roger Deakins double-dipping for the second year in a row.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1232038415
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

It should read:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Claudio Miranda)
The Dark Knight (Wally Pfister)
The Reader (Roger Deakins and Chris Menges)
Revolutionary Road (Roger Deakins)
Slumdog Millionaire (Anthony Dod Mantle)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think their press people have separated them out incorrectly. If The Reader is removed, then so will Deakins' and Menges' nomination. I don't know why they listed it this way...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

not that surprising. i was unaware deakins worked on THE READER. the last time there were multiple nominees for a single movie in the cinematography oscar category was RAN.

the cinematographers guild awards have never matched up perfectly with the oscar noms...except for last year (and 1996 if you do not count the one extra nominee they had). much like the producers guild awards, these nominees look pretty good so it is hard to say what might get dropped. if i had to pick, i would say THE READER will be replaced with AUSTRALIA. i love chris menges and i am sure his work in THE READER is good, but it will be nice to finally see a woman nominated in the last men-only category.

i guess still no love for harris savides. he is the new gordon willis. he will continue to be ignored for his brilliant subtle work, and then finally be nominated for lesser films.

Roger Deakins -- Revolutionary Road and The Reader

Anthony Dod Mantle -- Slumdog Millionaire

Chris Menges -- The Reader

Claudio Miranda -- The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Wally Pfister -- The Dark Knight

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1231341390
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

From the ASC Website:

Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (Revolutionary Road and The Reader), Anthony Dod Mantle, BSC (Slumdog Millionaire), Chris Menges, BSC (The Reader), Claudio Miranda (The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button) and Wally Pfister, ASC (The Dark Knight) are the finalists in the feature film category of the 23rd Annual American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Outstanding Achievement Awards competition. The recipient will be named during the awards celebration here at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel on February 15.
“This annual celebration is our way of letting our colleagues from around the world know that their peers in the ASC recognize their inherent visual talent and spirited ability to get compelling stories on the screen in this collaborative art form,” says ASC President Daryn Okada. “We also hope this celebration inspires generations of filmmakers to follow their dreams.”
These are the eighth and ninth nominations for Deakins who earned top honors in 1995 for The Shawshank Redemption and in 2002 for The Man Who Wasn’t There. It’s the fourth nomination for Menges, the second for Pfister, and the first for Dod Mantle and Miranda.
“Artful cinematography is generally meant to be transparent to audiences but there are countless visual nuances that help to create a sense of time and place, while evoking emotional responses that are in tune with the intentions of the actors and directors,” says ASC Awards Committee Chairman Michael Goi, ASC. “In the opinion of their peers, who considered hundreds of movies, these five extraordinarily talented individuals have set the contemporary standard for artful cinematography in a very competitive field.”

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”