Makeup Finalists

Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Usually, I do, but it could vary as to who is singled out for the nominations. Most of the times, I go to awardsdaily.com and check out their FYC gallery, but there hasn't been much this year for visual effects. Perhaps studios are cutting back on who they promote for awards.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Incidentally, is there any place we can go to find out the names of the finalists?

The best place to go may be the imdb site, since they do list the names of makeup artists among the credits.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Also nice to know there won't be a Click/Norbit nightmare nominee this year.

Two words: Tropic Thunder
Well, Tropic Thunder is indeed stupid...but given that most of us are at least half-way interested in checking it out because it's a likely acting nominee puts it in a little bit different category.

Or maybe it's just because I've seen it already.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My predictions of the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Hellboy 2, and Tropic Thunder looks pretty good. But then again, I have no confidence over The Dark Knight, The Reader, The Wrestler, and (especially) Synecdoche, New York.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hollywood Z wrote:I used to be able to go to awards.fennec.org before, but he's been in a hissy since Brokeback Mountain lost and shut his site down.
I remember this board that fateful night. It was an angry, at times scary, place.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Well, my Frost/Nixon prediction is right out. So, for now, I'll predict:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Tropic Thunder

If The Dark Knight sneaks in, it'll be the first film since 2003 that has been nominated in all four effects categories (Sound Mixing, Sound Effects, Make-Up & Visual Effects). That being said, I think the adoration for del Toro's love of make-up from Pan's Labyrinth will carry over if the same crew was on board, especially with the new creatures and the market scene alone. Button is a sure fire lock & Thunder might be the fun nominee.

Incidentally, is there any place we can go to find out the names of the finalists? I used to be able to go to awards.fennec.org before, but he's been in a hissy since Brokeback Mountain lost and shut his site down.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, since we're all doing predictions (and I'm not at home to update, but probably won't until after the ACE nominations next Monday), here are mine:

The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Also nice to know there won't be a Click/Norbit nightmare nominee this year.

Click and Norbit are shit. Tropic Thunder might not be great, but it's not Razzie bait. And neither of those movies were Oscar contenders in any acting categories.

The nominees will be...

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Tropic Thunder
(alt. The Dark Knight)

Edited By MovieWes on 1231265187
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Hellboy II
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:However, the Academy has been quite reactionary in the past of rejecting any makeup contender that had any semblance of impropriety (remember The Hours, disqualified b/c of digital touch ups to a nose?). So, it was totally conceivable that they would declare it ineligible.

that was so stupid. THE HOURS had everything: uglification (kidman), old age (moore), disease (harris). they were only missing mutilation and complete non-human transformation to demonstrate the full range of make-up capabilities.

it also annoyed me when the remake of PLANET OF THE APES was ignored. the movie may have been shit, but the make-up work was amazing. i am assuming it was disqulified because of some additional cgi work done on the simian facial features.

i predict:
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE READER

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1231263666
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They typically just invalidate the entire film, not just one aspect of it. After all, they like to say that the membership isn't smart enough to know the difference (look only to the exclusion of Truman Show for Original Score, which was disqualified simply because they didn't think the members could distinguish the pre-written score and the original score portions).

But, color me happy as I was expecting it to be excluded.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:However, the Academy has been quite reactionary in the past of rejecting any makeup contender that had any semblance of impropriety (remember The Hours, disqualified b/c of digital touch ups to a nose?). So, it was totally conceivable that they would declare it ineligible.
True. Although, my point is that they could've disqualified all to the makeup of Brad Pitt and still nominated the film based solely on the work they did on Cate Blanchett.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

However, the Academy has been quite reactionary in the past of rejecting any makeup contender that had any semblance of impropriety (remember The Hours, disqualified b/c of digital touch ups to a nose?). So, it was totally conceivable that they would declare it ineligible.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Pretty good list. Nice to see Synecdoche, New York there -- the makeup in that film was fantastic.
Totally agree. Very realistic.

Also, I don't know why it's such a surprise that Button would find its way onto this list, OG. Cate Blanchett's makeup is completely subtle and well done throughout the film, obviously having nothing to do with visual effects.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”