PGA Nominees

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Bog wrote:The buzz behind Milk just a mere month ago and even prior makes it seem a shame that it has now delved into possible snub territory...nomination secure, one wonders if a Penn victory will now also go by the wayside

Benjamin Button ain't getting snubbed

The Dark Knight does not seem to be necessary in best picture (and I even rather like the film), but I find Slumdog Millionaire's terrorizing of the awards circuits to be just as erroneous.
That's a good point. If Milk is snubbed (and it will) Sean Penn doesn't feel like a Forest Whitaker style winner. I can still see Rourke winning.

Benjamin Button might not be getting snubbed, but it ain't winning. If it does it'll be A Beautiful Mind all over again. If I had a vote Best Picture would be between Wall-e and Slumdog Millionaire. The Dark Knight was a better film than Slumdog, but even if nominated (and it better be) it won't win.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

The buzz behind Milk just a mere month ago and even prior makes it seem a shame that it has now delved into possible snub territory...nomination secure, one wonders if a Penn victory will now also go by the wayside

Benjamin Button ain't getting snubbed

The Dark Knight does not seem to be necessary in best picture (and I even rather like the film), but I find Slumdog Millionaire's terrorizing of the awards circuits to be just as erroneous.

Edited By Bog on 1231209639
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Okri wrote:Agreed, though I'm wondering if it'll be The Dark Knight that is snubbed, though a snub for Milk wouldn't be surprising.

The same thing happened last year with Into the Wild vs Atonement.
Maybe both, maybe neither. Maybe Benjamin Button will be snubbed. Who knows.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Agreed, though I'm wondering if it'll be The Dark Knight that is snubbed, though a snub for Milk wouldn't be surprising.

The same thing happened last year with Into the Wild vs Atonement.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think we should all also be reminded of '06, when Babel, The Departed, Dreamgirls, Little Miss Sunshine, and The Queen were BOTH the PGA nominees AND the DGA nominees...and they were the five films listed on everyone's predictions from here to Kalamazoo.

And what happened? Letters From Iwo Jima, a film with ZERO Guild support, nabs Picture/Director spots at the Oscars, and United 93, a film with ZERO Globe nominations and only a WGA nod, gets a Director spot.

So every time I read Picture/Director predictions that are Benjamin Button, Dark Knight, Frost/Nixon, Milk, and Slumdog alongside Boyle/Fincher/Howard/Nolan/Van Sant...I can only think that that's honestly a lot less likely to happen than it is, precursors be damned.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Zahveed wrote:It doesn't matter if it's on film, on paper, or on a computer, there is a director that guides the "direction" of the picture. I think a major factor is that the director of an animated picture can often be seen as more of a lead animator even though there is generally more to what they do, and it just doesn't click with some people that animated pictures have directors. They don't see the actors or the sets, just colorful pictures, and so they attribute it like they would a portrait to a painter. That's my theory.
If by some miracle Andrew Stanton makes it into the final five this year, I think the DGA rule may change. Or at least have an ainimated feature catogory.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It doesn't matter if it's on film, on paper, or on a computer, there is a director that guides the "direction" of the picture. I think a major factor is that the director of an animated picture can often be seen as more of a lead animator even though there is generally more to what they do, and it just doesn't click with some people that animated pictures have directors. They don't see the actors or the sets, just colorful pictures, and so they attribute it like they would a portrait to a painter. That's my theory.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Certainly somebody has to oversee all the components that go into making an animated film, and I presume that would be the director.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The DGA does not have an animated category, likely because they don't consider animated films to be directed since they can be entirely manipulated on the computer. I don't understand it in the least as some animated films have been more cinematically daring and creative than many of their live-action counterparts.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Mister Tee wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
agreed. now all we need is the dga to confirm it.

I don't know the DGA can "confirm", as they're EXTREMELY unlikely to nominate an animated feature over a movie featuring humans -- but I still think Wall E's overall beloved-ness could get it a best picture mention.

Which is to say, these five could repeat at DGA and still not be the final Oscar five. (And I'd bet serious money they're unlikely to be the five nominated directors)

To follow up: According to Tom O'Neil, DGA policy specifically precludes an animated film from getting a nomination.

Again, I'm not saying Wall E WILL get a best picture nod. I'm just saying these various trial heats aren't valid tests of its strength.
I thought we all knew this? I knew the PGA had an animated feature catagory so Wall-e would not be nominated here, and don't the DGA have the same?

The BAFTA's may be the best gauge from this point.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mister Tee wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
MovieWes wrote:I think this will be the Best Picture line-up.

I don't know the DGA can "confirm", as they're EXTREMELY unlikely to nominate an animated feature over a movie featuring humans -- but I still think Wall E's overall beloved-ness could get it a best picture mention.

Which is to say, these five could repeat at DGA and still not be the final Oscar five. (And I'd bet serious money they're unlikely to be the five nominated directors)
To follow up: According to Tom O'Neil, DGA policy specifically precludes an animated film from getting a nomination.

Again, I'm not saying Wall E WILL get a best picture nod. I'm just saying these various trial heats aren't valid tests of its strength.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Given that the PGA and Oscar nominees haven't matched since 1994, wouldn't it be safer to bet that one of today's nominees WON'T make it to the Kodak?

i fear MILK is going to be the INTO THE WILD of this year.
Yes, I think Milk or Frost/Nixon will make way for something else; possibly even both.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
MovieWes wrote:I think this will be the Best Picture line-up.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1231187729
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:Given that the PGA and Oscar nominees haven't matched since 1994, wouldn't it be safer to bet that one of today's nominees WON'T make it to the Kodak?
i fear MILK is going to be the INTO THE WILD of this year.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Yes. The animated feature nominees are Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, and WALL-E.

Documentary nominees are Man on Wire, Standard Operating Procedure, and Trouble the Water.

Given that the PGA and Oscar nominees haven't matched since 1994, wouldn't it be safer to bet that one of today's nominees WON'T make it to the Kodak?

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”