First Post-SAG Predictions

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Precious Doll wrote:I'd rather see Hiam Abbass nominated in the best actress catergory for Lemon Tree (though I don't think it has been released in the US) but would settle for a supporting nod for The Visistor.

Another surprise nominee could be Misty Upham who co-stars with Melissa Leo in Frozen River - she's equally as good as Leo is.
What about Michelle Williams?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

barrybrooks8 wrote:I think a shocking nomination may come for Hiam Abbass for the Visitor. Jenkins seems to have a bit of backing, and his love interest may get to ride on the coat-tails of the lead that is for sure getting nominated, a la Rachel Griffiths, Ethan Hawke, and Catherine Keener (Hilary and Jackie, Training Day, Capote).
I don't think Richard Jenkins is a "sure thing". He has a good shot but I think Clint Eastwood might easily take his spot at the Oscars.

All of those you mentioned also got a SAG nomination. Hiam Abbass is a relative unknown with neither a SAG nod nor a major critics' prize in her name (so far at least) so an Oscar nomination would truly be a major shocker.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'd rather see Hiam Abbass nominated in the best actress catergory for Lemon Tree (though I don't think it has been released in the US) but would settle for a supporting nod for The Visistor.

Another surprise nominee could be Misty Upham who co-stars with Melissa Leo in Frozen River - she's equally as good as Leo is.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I think a shocking nomination may come for Hiam Abbass for the Visitor. Jenkins seems to have a bit of backing, and his love interest may get to ride on the coat-tails of the lead that is for sure getting nominated, a la Rachel Griffiths, Ethan Hawke, and Catherine Keener (Hilary and Jackie, Training Day, Capote).

A surprising snub? Sally Hawkins, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kate Winslet, or Gus Van Sant?
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:
dreaMaker wrote:The Academy every year delivers some shocking add-ins and shocking snubs (or at least surprising), i can't wait to see them.. I hope it's going to be more interesting than our predictions...

Who's gonna be this year's Dennis Quaid?
Maybe Josh Brolin?
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dreaMaker wrote:The Academy every year delivers some shocking add-ins and shocking snubs (or at least surprising), i can't wait to see them.. I hope it's going to be more interesting than our predictions...
Who's gonna be this year's Dennis Quaid?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Academy every year delivers some shocking add-ins and shocking snubs (or at least surprising), i can't wait to see them.. I hope it's going to be more interesting than our predictions...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You haven't seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, have you?
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:No Penelope Cruz? She's a lock.
i know. i just cannot bring myself to include her. her exclusion is more wishful thinking than actual predicting.

also, oscarguy i definitely think you should have FROST/NIXON down for editing. in general i was far more impressed with the movie than i expected to be, but i found the editing particularly surprising and fresh. plus the editing team of hanley and hill have done pretty well with a nomination for CINDERELLA MAN and A BEAUTIFUL MIND and a well deserved win for APOLLO 13. i think if the movie is going to be nominated for best picture, they are definitely going to earn an editing nomination.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

No Penelope Cruz? She's a lock.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

my post sag nominations. feel pretty confident about best picture, as do most people since i keep seeing the same lineup. the odd-man-out director is a puzzler for me. i chose REVOLUTIONARY ROAD just to be different. have a few choices in the acting category which are not impossible, but may go against conventional wisdom. the cinematic/tech categories are still mysterious, but these choices seem pretty good. we have to wait until january to hear from any more major guilds, and the critics are all over the place. it looks like we are stuck in a holding pattern until 2009. hope everyone has a happy holidays.

BEST PICTURE

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

The Dark Knight

Frost/Nixon

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

DIRECTOR

Frost/Nixon

Milk

Revolutionary Road

Slumdog Millionaire

ADAPTED

Doubt

Frost/Nixon

Slumdog Millionaire

Revolutionary Road

ORIGINAL

Milk

Rachel Getting Married

Synecdoche, New York

Wall-E

The Wrestler

L. ACTOR

Sean Penn - Milk

Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon

Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Leonardo Dicaprio - Revolutionary Road

Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

L. ACTRESS

Meryl Streep - Doubt

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road

Angelina Jolie - Changeling

Melissa Leo - Frozen River

S. ACTOR

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt

Josh Brolin - Milk

James Franco - Milk

Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

S. ACTRESS

Kate Winslet - The Reader

Viola Davis - Doubt

Amy Adams - Doubt

Taraji Henson - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

EDITING

The Dark Knight

Defiance

Frost/Nixon

Slumdog Millionaire

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Australia

The Dark Knight

Milk

Revolutionary Road

SET

Australia

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Reader

Revolutionary Road

Valkyrie

COSTUME

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Duchess

The Other Boleyn Girl

The Reader

Revolutionary Road

SCORE

The Reader

Revolutionary Road

Slumdog Millionaire

Wall-E

SOUND

The Dark Knight

Defiance

The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Wall-E

SOUND EDITING

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Wall-E

VISUAL EFFECTS

Iron Man

MAKE-UP

Hellboy 2

The Reader

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1229744098
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress are the most interesting races this year, mainly due to the Kate Winslet enigma.

If Winslet is only nominated for Best Actress, it will be probably for The Reader, and she will be a possible (though far from sure) winner. But if the Oscars follow the Globes and the SAG, Winslet will end up with her two nominations - and she's the kind of actress that the Academy won't want to send back home empty-handed. But where will they vote for her? Revolutionary Road doesnt seem to generally get much love, so the outcome of Best Actress will be really a mystery - and this despite any even strong precursor - till the Big Night itself (and Big Magilla is right, in the end the winner could even turn out to be, memorable performance or not, Meryl Streep, a bit a la Katharine Hepburn when she kept winning all those undeserved Oscars late in her career - because she was overdue, true, but also because, "in Doubt", voting for her was the safe choice to do). This would of course leave Kate Winslet very close to the Best Supporting trophy - which is the way in the past these double acting nominations used to be settled. But Penelope Cruz will be a tough rival (Viola Davis wouldnt have any chance in such a situation).
There is, of course, a third, not even too remote possibility - that Winslet is only nominated as Best Supporting Actress for The Reader. Which, I think, will lead to Cruz winning it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think there are two big potentials to take over for Nolan whom I don't think will get nominated. Mike Leigh has upset before and he's got a crowd pleaser on his hands...but I really think it could be a surprise Jonathan Demme. He's been away for so long after his win for Silence of the Lambs that I think he could end up in the sentimental journeyman slot without a truly foreign director around to really pull the slot.

For Best Picture, I have not seen Curious Case, but will see it opening weekend with my friends who have shown an interest. Milk I have on screener and started watching it, but got pulled away so haven't had a chance to finish yet, so I will either watch it Sunday or over the Christmas break.

Of Slumdog, Dark Knight and Frost/Nixon, all of which I've seen, Slumdog is a clear favorite of the three. Frost/Nixon will go the way of the Queen and The Dark Knight's recognition would be a nomination. What I think the big difference between Slumdog and Benjamin Button is that I think this will be a critics/audience split with Button winning in the end.

It may have a rumored maudlin ending (who doesn't think that one or both of them is going to die?), it is the kind of film the Academy has shown a fondness for: a heavy visual tearjerker with solid visual effects and charismatic leads. I'd say it is more in line with winners like English Patient, Lord of the Rings and other epics including Titanic. And I'm almost positive it will be a huge box office hit, which will seal a victory.

Slumdog is so unlike any other pic to win Best Picture I really can't fathom the Academy going for it. It's biggest obstacle, the no-name cast(Irfan Kahn barely excluded), has dwindled as a drawback with the SAG nod, but does not go away. The Full Monty had a SAG ensemble nod as did Little Miss Sunshine, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Chocolat. They each appealed to the same demographic of the Academy and the only difference between most of these and Slumdog (Sunshine shares it) is the critical support. Full Monty had some and so did Wedding, but genuinely these were crowd pleasers vying for the Oscars. In the end, they don't tend to win because there is another film, either romantic or topical that has more emotional and political weight that catches the Academy's eyes. I really think that's Benjamin Button.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Best Director

Will mirror best picture nominations if they are as stated above. The win could be split, however, with Benamin Button taking best picture and Slumdog's popular Danny Boyle taking best director over Benjamin Button's disliked Fincher. If, however, Fincher wins this one, Benjamin Button is assured the best picture win.
no odd-man-out this year? i do find it hard to figure out which director might be dropped, and even more difficult to figure out who will be included.

if i had to pick the director to be dropped, i would say nolan. who would replace him is a mystery.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lots of diversity this year, but as usual the pre-cursors tend to center around the same films leaving very little open for surprises on Oscar nomination morning.

Best Picture

Looks like a race between Slumdog Millioaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, with the latter winning unless it tanks at the box office which I don't think is going to hapen.

Frost/Nixon and Milk are almost certain to fill two of the other slots with The Dark Knight edging out the competition for the fifth one.

Best Actor

Sean Penn, MIckey Rourke and Frank Langella are almost certain nominees with Richard Jenkins having more support and thus more momemntum than Clint Eastwood for the old geezer slot. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt will fight it out for the pretty boy slot. I'd say Leo, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. It will be a race to the finish line between Penn and Rourke.

Best Actress

The year's only real question mark. If Kate Winselt is nominated here for eiher Revolutionary Road or The Reader and not in support, she will probably be the safest bet. If, however, she is nomianted in both categories her chances for winning in the latter are probably stronger which means that Meryl Streep could very likely win this one, her first in 25 years.

Anne Hathaway is all but guaranteed a spot on the roster, with Melissa Leo, Kristin Scott Thomas, Sally Hawkins and ANgelina Jolie batling it out for the other two slots. At this point it's probably Leo and Hawkins.

Best Supporting Actor

Heath Ledger's to lose, with Josh Brolin, Robert Downey, Jr. and Philip Seymour Hoffman his likeliest competition. James Franco would seem to be the most likely fifth nominee.

Best Supporting Actress

Penelope Cruz and Viola Davis for sure, Tarai P. Henson likely, with Amy Adams, Marisa Tomei and Winslet in contention for the other two slots. If Winselt is nominated in this category, she takes it, otherwsie it's an open field.

Best Director

Will mirror best picture nominations if they are as stated above. The win could be split, however, with Benamin Button taking best picture and Slumdog's popular Danny Boyle taking best director over Benjamin Button's disliked Fincher. If, however, Fincher wins this one, Benjamin Button is assured the best picture win.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”