Washington DC Area Film Critics Association

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:
Sabin wrote:I think 'Slumdog' has a shot with L.A. but I doubt it. It's just not a critic's piece. Not really. 'Milk' is though and I think it has a strong choice at taking both NY and LA with Aronofsky as an outside chance to replace Van Sant for directing for one of them. Honestly, I think 'The Dark Knight' has a better shot in L.A. than 'Slumdog'. When they go populist, they go larger in scale than 'Slumdog'.

Voting for Milk can be the LA Film Critics' way of taking a stance against the Prop. 8 vote.
That's exactly why I made it my prediction.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

YAY! Now we have 8 (instead of 4 after the NBR) acting nominees SEWN UP for the Oscars.

But WHERE THE HECK is Beckinsale (and Farmiga)?!

Edited By VanHelsing on 1228718450
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:I think 'Slumdog' has a shot with L.A. but I doubt it. It's just not a critic's piece. Not really. 'Milk' is though and I think it has a strong choice at taking both NY and LA with Aronofsky as an outside chance to replace Van Sant for directing for one of them. Honestly, I think 'The Dark Knight' has a better shot in L.A. than 'Slumdog'. When they go populist, they go larger in scale than 'Slumdog'.
Voting for Milk can be the LA Film Critics' way of taking a stance against the Prop. 8 vote.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think 'Slumdog' has a shot with L.A. but I doubt it. It's just not a critic's piece. Not really. 'Milk' is though and I think it has a strong choice at taking both NY and LA with Aronofsky as an outside chance to replace Van Sant for directing for one of them. Honestly, I think 'The Dark Knight' has a better shot in L.A. than 'Slumdog'. When they go populist, they go larger in scale than 'Slumdog'.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What they probably aren't taking into account, as I have found with many other prognosticators out there, is the preponderance of evidence suggesting something not to happen. In it's 6 years previous, it has only successfully predicted 2 Best Picture winners, last year's No Country for Old Men and 2003's Return of the King. Their other winners were Road to Perdition, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Munich and United 93.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The kiddies at Awards Daily are squealing about Slumdog sweeping all the critics' awards.

I was an early advocate of Slumdog as a best picture candidate, but, unless I've missed something, the film's chance of taking NY or LA -- let alone both -- is quite slim. I think we're going to have a pretty divided electorate this year. (Witness this acting list...100% different from NBR's)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm trying to drive traffic to my site, so whenever I update my link to the nominations/winners, please delete yours so it creates a more streamlined presentation.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1228711352
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

edited.

Edited By Okri on 1228709204
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Full List of Winners below:

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/81st/Precursors.html#WAFCA

Edited By OscarGuy on 1228707424
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”