National Board of Review

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I called Josh Brolin. I'm not surprised, though, by any of the picks except for Eastwood but again that could be due to the Warenr Bros. bias. Doesn't Warners buy more tickets to their annual shindig than the other studios or something like that?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:How is Viola Davis a breakthrough performer?

It's her "breakthrough" from the little leagues to the big leagues. After Doubt, people will know who she is which was not necessarily the case last year. She's having an Amy Ryan kind of year.

Edited By flipp525 on 1228422155
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I'm very happy they noticed changeling as well....a little shocked and upset they mentioned burn after reading in the top ten...it just wasn't very good. I haven't seen 7 of the 11 top films yet so its hard to comment. No mention of revolutionary road or the reader anywhere is a little shocking. 2 more mentions for frozen river. Very happy for cruz and hathaway, two very deserving performances.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm guessing top ten now means top ten runners-up. The best picture/director split between Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button could mean the two films vied closely for the best picture award with Slumdog possibly given the edge because voters had India on their mind after the recent terrorist attacks.

Clint Eastwood? NBR acting wins do not translate to automatic Oscar nods. Mia Farrow in Alice, anyone? If one of the L.A. Film Critics, N.Y. Film Critics or National Society of Film Critics pick him, his chances improve. If either the Globes or the Broadcast Film critics nominate him, his chances are even better.

What's with the "spotlight" award? Did Jenkins and Leo come close in the best actor and actress voting or did they want to give them their "breakthrough" awards but felt it might be a little silly since they've both been around for decades?

And, yes, as Mister Tee points out, the NBR does have a Warner Bros. bias. I don't know about the anti-Paramount thing, but could be. I wouldn't count out either Revolutionary Road or The Reader simply because the NBR left them off their top ten. Doubt, though, I have my doubts about (pun intended).
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, actually my first thought on the Slumdog/Fincher picks was, nice crystal ball-work, Mister Tee.

I have no idea what to think of Gran Torino, especially its headway into the screenplay category. I'm with people in thinking the trailer doesn't look so promising, but I'm willing to give Eastwood the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this will be this year's really polarizing movie?

I'm not that surprised by Defiance's inclusion. The NBR has always had an excessive infatuation with Edward Zwick that other groups have avoided.

How is Viola Davis a breakthrough performer?

This certainly isn't good news for The Reader -- I thought if it were to perform well anywhere, it would be here.

Giving foreign film prizes to Mongol is about the same as giving Best Picture prizes to Gladiator, in my book: completely unnecessary given the far more artful options available.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Called four of the ten. Called Cruz. Called 'Doubt' for Ensemble. Called animated feature (DUH!). Called doc. Called Patel. Called nothing else.

I think this award is largely irrelevant. It only confirms the following:
1) 'Slumdog' isn't just a contender, but crowd-pleasing front-runner which many of us knew already.

2) 'Gran Torino' is, in fact, in. And 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' and 'The Dark Knight' are on sturdier ground with two wins.

3) 'The Reader' and 'Revolutionary Road', both of which may do very well with the Golden Globes and the Screen Actor's Guild, are a little shaky.

4) Unless I'm mistaken, 'WALL*E' is the first PIXAR feature to receive ten best Board citation and one of the only animated features to ever receive this. It is a contender for Best Picture.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rolotomasi99 wrote:looks like the critical love of THE DARK KNIGHT will continue into awards and year-end best-of lists, which will help make it acceptable for the academy to take it seriously.
Let's not be premature on this. NBR isn't a real critics' group. If it happens (beyond Ledger) at LA, NY or NSFC, then I'll pay attention.

It's being said that NBR has a long-standing Warner Brothers lean (which helps Clint) and Paramount aversion -- last year they passed on There Will Be Blood, this year Revolutionary Road. I have no idea if this contention holds water; I'm just passing it on. Think of me as doing Matt Drudge's job.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Way to go, Tee! I predicted Viola Davis in Breakthrough Female where everyone else went the Sally Hawkins route.

I'm glad that NBR was able to look past the muddled quality of the whole in order to focus on the good that's in Changeling because I really do think there's something of merit there, even if the picture at a distance isn't quite the success everyone thought it would be. I'm also hoping that some critics' awards thrown Jolie's way keep her alive in this race.

Edited By flipp525 on 1228420400
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

rolo, I simply mean that it looks like they may be in the Oscar contest after all. I don't think they'll get nods, but they certainly haven't disappeared as some might have contended they would.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

NBR used to have close to exclusionary power on best picture nominees, but they've been missing plenty (and including red herrings) for some years now. They may just have a carryover excess of love for Eastwood (as they evidently do for Zwick). It's hard to believe there could be as diametrically opposed views of Gran Torino as we've been hearing.

Suddenly they go populist: both wall E and Dark Knight, after omitting the Rings movies all those years.

The big losers appear to be the two Winslet films.

I'm going to point out -- because why would anyone else? -- that I hit the exacta on best picture/best director here. This amazing feat is somewhat offset by having called not one of the six cited foreign films.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Frost/Nixon is in, Doubt is out. Gran Torino and Changeling are both in. Not really surprised by any of these, though I am interested to see that Defiance is in their best list...
by "in" and "out" you mean the nbr awards, or the entire oscar race?

looks like the critical love of THE DARK KNIGHT will continue into awards and year-end best-of lists, which will help make it acceptable for the academy to take it seriously.

please, please, oscar gods, make GRAN TORINO go away. i know i am judging it based on just the previews, but it looks so awful. eastwood is responsible for for some of the best movies of this decade, but GRAN TORINO just looks painful and with worse racial moralizing than CRASH.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Looks like it's alphabetical order again. They appear to have abandoned their ranking structure.

And once again, their best picture choice isn't in their Top 10 list. Matter of fact, Foreign Film and Documentary are not listed in their respective lists either...wth is up with these people?

But, Frost/Nixon is in, Doubt is out. Gran Torino and Changeling are both in. Not really surprised by any of these, though I am interested to see that Defiance is in their best list...

Next up, we have Boston, LA, New York Online and Washington DC critics up for possibly Sunday.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, it looks like Eastwood isn't dead. Anne Hathaway is in the hunt and Man on Wire may be the crix docu pick of the year.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

partial results posted below. waiting on full final results.
Wesley Lovell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, I have their site up refreshing it periodically, so if they post it online, I'll have it within moments of them posting it.

i was doing the exact same thing moments ago. people get excited about christmas, but all my energy is focused on the oscars. the nbr awards announcement is like black friday -- the beginning of a long season that eventually ends with a little happiness and a little disappointment. i am so ready for oscar season to officially begin. MILK was my first "oscar bait" film of the year. i eagerly look forward to watching DOUBT, THE READER, REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, et al. let the oscar season begin! :laugh:

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1228411150
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”