Documentary Feature Finalists

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I have not seen it, but based on the many reviews and interviews I've read about it, I agree that Standard Operating Procedure is unlikely to win. I do think it's fairly secure for a nom because of its subject matter, its high production values, and its directorial pedigree, in that order of importance. But the way Morris presents things has been received with too much controversy for it to sail to a win- especially considering the "fatigue" factors mentioned by Original BJ.

Here's what I wrote about Encounters At the End of the World more than a month ago:

Having seen Encounters at the End of the World it doesn't strike me as Academy fodder. Yes there was an outcry when Grizzly Man failed to get nominated, but unlike the recent outcry at the 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days snub which was actually commented upon within the Academy, there was no indication that the documentary nominating branch felt any remorse over leaving it out. Herzog is a controversial figure, especially within doc. circles. Plus Encounters at the End of the World doesn't have the focus or the heft, not to mention the box-office or critical acclaim, of Grizzly Man so it seems like an unlikely make-up. Finally, Herzog takes aim at a previous Academy-sanctioned documentary, March of the Penguins, lashing out at it several times in the film. It's beautiful, but if there's a slot for a film with uncertain political relevance in the lineup, I'm betting it'll be the critically-beloved Man on Wire or something as yet unseen.

I will add: the film is great if you're a Herzog fan (though perhaps if you're TOO much of a fan it'll pale in comparison to his best docs like La Soufriere and Land of Silence and Darkness). In a way it's more about him than it is about Antarctica and its part-time residents. Scientists are likely to be positive on the film, though. I have a friend who researches the same kinds of organisms that a group of scuba-divers in the film study (only he gets to do it in warmer waters- the South Seas, usually), and he loved the film. On the other hand, I've been priming him with Herzog DVDs for the last few years too...

Man on Wire seems hard to beat, in my opinion. Very high production values, terrific emotional arc, and more topical relevance than you might expect going in. But I haven't yet seen Trouble the Water or most of the other possibilities yet. I have seen Nerakhoon: the Betrayal, and must admit it doesn't seem like a likely nominee- which is too bad, as it's a terrific film, but it has some arty flourishes that make me wary of its chances. I'd love to be surprised by a nomination for it.

I'm not surprised American Teen was left out- too much like reality TV and too little like journalism or cinema. Sundance buzz on Fuel was pretty weak, so I skipped it, but that doesn't mean the Academy might not like it better.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm also thinking Trouble the Water looks like the frontrunner. Katrina was a big social disaster and the Academy hasn't yet had the chance to honor those filmmakers who have documented it.

I see two things standing in the way of Standard Operating Procedure's win. First, his recent trophy notwithstanding, Erroll Morris took a LONG time to find favor with the Academy, and I see no reason why he'd suddenly become a voter favorite. Second, and more significantly, SOP covers a lot of the same ground as last year's winner, Taxi to the Dark Side, and I think voter fatigue with Iraq docs will hinder another film about torture from winning this year.

Certainly that's the thought I had while watching Standard Operating Procedure: "I'm not sure if I can take any more films about torture for a while."

I don't recall the Herzog film receiving very strong reviews. Would those who have seen it agree with consensus? I'm still irritated Herzog was snubbed for Grizzly Man a couple years ago.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Standard Operating Procedure will win. The Academy has taken a liking to liberal political documentaries lately. I don't see that trend ending any time soon. I.O.U.S.A. and Fuel may also be contenders as they are "leftist" leaners. Trouble the Water and Pray the Devil Back to Hell may be good docs for the righties to push.

I'm still researching all the documentaries, so I don't have predictions as yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Or Bigger, Stronger, Faster*. Although, Eric, both At the Death House Door and Herzog's film had significant attention.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

No Religulous or American Teen either?
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

My hunch as of right now is that Trouble the Water takes this.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Let's just give it to 'Man on Wire' and be done with it.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

First-instinct nominee prediction (admittedly I've only seen three of the fifteen films):

Blessed Is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh
Man on Wire
Pray the Devil Back to Hell
Standard Operating Procedure
Trouble the Water
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Possibly snubbed (not sure of the vagaries of eligibility):

Chicago 10
Chris & Don. A Love Story
Gonzo
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired
Shine a Light
Up the Yangtze
Young@Heart

In fact, Man On Wire and Standard Operating Procedure aside, this looks like yet another year in which the doc committee seems doggedly determined to root out any remotely recognizable contenders from their ranks.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

15 Docs Continue in 2008 Oscar® Race

Beverly Hills, CA — The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 81st Academy Awards®. A record 94 pictures had originally qualified in the category.

The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order:

“At the Death House Door”
“The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)”
“Blessed Is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh”
“Encounters at the End of the World”
“Fuel”
“The Garden”
“Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts”
“I.O.U.S.A.”
“In a Dream”
“Made in America”
“Man on Wire”
“Pray the Devil Back to Hell”
“Standard Operating Procedure”
“They Killed Sister Dorothy”
“Trouble the Water”

The Documentary Branch Screening Committee viewed all the eligible documentaries for the preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles on the shortlist.

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2008 will be presented on Sunday, February 22, 2009, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

# # #
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”