E.W. Predictions

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Penelope wrote:The Goddess was brilliant and hilarious in the Extras episode (the funniest thing about the show, imho)...and, yeah, it is kind of ironic.
All we need now is Ricky Gervais to host... Circle complete.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Goddess was brilliant and hilarious in the Extras episode (the funniest thing about the show, imho)...and, yeah, it is kind of ironic.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Penelope wrote:Heathen. Blasphemer.

Now, I wasn't expecting that, Pen.... :D

From her two films this year I would say The Reader is her best shot. Revolutionary Road looks only okay.

Though, there's something about The Reader that mirrors her guest spot on Extras... Think about it.

[edit] I'm kidding about the Extras connection... I'm sure Dame Kate is awesome in The Reader.

Edited By jack on 1226284345
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Heathen. Blasphemer.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I think it's good that this year is still pretty wide open. It's like last year. At this time last year there was still no clear-cut front-runner. An exception maybe for Day Lewis, but Best Picture was anyone's. It seems to be the same with this year, but is this year's Best Actress race starting to seem like a duel between Streep and Winslet? Or, like me, do some sense that Anne Hathaway may swoop in and win the award? I'd love to see this happen, as I don't hold the 'Goddess' opinion of Winslet that some/most do here... I won't to see DiCaprio win more than Winslet.

To me, DiCaprio and Winslet, due to Tatanic, are tied at the hip.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

That's a weird thought - but of all her leading nominations, only one has come from a film with a corresponding lead actor nod, if my memory is working (Jack Nicholson for Ironweed). On the other hand, all her supporting work has been nominated alongside other supporting performers from the same film. Maybe not all that interesting, but I think it is.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

La Streep is the Queen. Anyone in her orbit, no matter the gender, is Supporting by default. At least, that's what I think they're thinking.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Doubt doesn't even have the two leads of the same gender thing nor the Hoffman isn't a big name thing, nor the Hoffman has another performance in competition thing.

Well, there's Synecdoche, New York in which he's unquestionably the lead so they may be considering that.

Edited By flipp525 on 1226272466
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I dunno, I could see it, though my memory of the play is a bit hazy. I'd be more offended if they demoted Sheen in Frost/Nixon to supporting, actually.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:How the hell is Phillip Seymour Blob a SUPPORTING Actor in Doubt? That takes category shopping to a ludicrous new level.
I have basically realized that in today's environment, pretty much anything goes with category placements.

Until some high-profile actors start calling the Academy on it, it's just going to keep getting worse.

Doubt doesn't even have the two leads of the same gender thing nor the Hoffman isn't a big name thing, nor the Hoffman has another performance in competition thing. Obviously I haven't seen the film, but unless the play has been completely overhauled, there is no way on god's green earth that Father Flynn is a supporting character.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Damien wrote:Phillip Seymour Blob
Damien, you totally crack me up.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

How the hell is Phillip Seymour Blob a SUPPORTING Actor in Doubt? That takes category shopping to a ludicrous new level.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Sorry--should have recognized the 50s label.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:
cam wrote:
barrybrooks8 wrote:What in the HELL is Cadillac Records?

Cadillac Records is a biopic of Ella Fitzgerald.

Actually, no it isn't. Cadillac Records chronicles the rise of Chess Records and its recording artists, including Etta James (Beyoncé Knowles), Muddy Waters (Jeffrey Wright) and Chuck Berry (Mos Def).
Mos Def would get recognized before Beyonce.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:
barrybrooks8 wrote:What in the HELL is Cadillac Records?

Cadillac Records is a biopic of Ella Fitzgerald.

Actually, no it isn't. Cadillac Records chronicles the rise of Chess Records and its recording artists, including Etta James (Beyoncé Knowles), Muddy Waters (Jeffrey Wright) and Chuck Berry (Mos Def).

Edited By flipp525 on 1225997225

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”