E.W. Predictions

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

So far as I'm concerned, the ludicrously early press time for this list cost this bunch their rightful place among the others listed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jeffrey Wright looks outstanding as Muddy Waters.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Katy Perry had a massive #1 hit over the summer with "I Kissed a Girl" and her current hit is "UR So Gay"--naturally, causing much controversy with both songs--with critics insisting that she's reinforcing the meme that girls kissing is sexy but guys kissing is gross.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Wow. #21 was a friend of mine in high school. I wish her nothing but success...but wow...even I didn't know she was considered this much of an entertainment industry force.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I thoroughly agree that Fey should've been #1, no questions asked. She's part of a historical moment.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, since I declared Tina Fey the clear favorite, I have an obvious conflict of interest here, but I think the Downey choice smacks a bit of booster-ism -- especially coupled with the push to get him into the supporting actor race.

As Eric suggests, had The Soloist given Downey a serious shot at a best actor Oscar, the combo of that, the huge summer hit in Iron Man and the culty success of Tropic Thunder would have been a strong argument. But minus the third leg of the stool, it feels iffy.

Fey had a tremendous personal success in both writing and acting with 30 Rock, plus became a central cultural focus in the year's overwhelmingly biggest story, the election. I say she was robbed.

Perhaps a bigger question: why in the name of god do you name Entertainer of the Year in mid-November?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:3. Cast & Crew of The Dark Knight
4. Gossip Girls
7. Rock Band
8. Women of Sex & the City
10. TV Talking Heads
12. Stars of Bravo
14. WALL-E
20. Facebook

Awful lot of cop-out picks here (is there anyone in Dark Knight, cast or crew, to compare with Ledger in pop cultural terms?).

I have to presume Downey was picked before The Soloist got bumped.

Edited By Eric on 1226686181
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The complete list:

1. Robert Downey, Jr.
2. Tina Fey
3. Cast & Crew of The Dark Knight
4. Gossip Girls
5. Stephenie Meyer
6. Lil Wayne
7. Rock Band
8. Women of Sex & the City
9. Jonas Brothers
10. TV Talking Heads
11. Meryl Streep
12. Stars of Bravo
13. James Franco
14. WALL-E
15. Coldplay
16. Elizabeth Banks
17. Yunjin Kim & Daniel Dae Kim
18. Kid Rock
19. Jon Hamm
20. Facebook
21. Katy Perry
22. Richard Jenkins
23. Michael Phelps
24. Leona Lewis
25. Neil Patrick Harris

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Tina Fey came in #2.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's actually quite surprising...what about Tina Fey? I'd say she had far more impact on 2008 than Downey did.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

EW just selected Robert Downey, Jr., as Entertainer of the Year. They're clearly pushing for him to get a nomination.

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I dunno - you mean leaving it up to the voters to decide on their own is a bad idea?

Looks like my memory of Doubt is cloudy, if so many think otherwise re: Hoffman in support. Oh well. I'm rooting against the film anyway.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Is there any way to petition the Academy to ask them to address these flagrantly inappropriate category placements? Perhaps they need to establish an independent comittee to determine--without influence from the studios or the actors' PR people--where the actors should be placed?

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:How the hell is Phillip Seymour Blob a SUPPORTING Actor in Doubt? That takes category shopping to a ludicrous new level.
I've been so occupied elsewhere that I've failed to comment on this clear, outrageous gerrymander. It'd be like touting Burton's Virginia Woolf performance for support. But the fix is in: every columnist-whore has jumped right on the bandwagon without protest.

There have been some placements that have outraged me less than they have others here, but this one is flagrantly off.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Penelope wrote:La Streep is the Queen. Anyone in her orbit, no matter the gender, is Supporting by default. At least, that's what I think they're thinking.
unless you are nicholas cage or nicole kidman. somehow they are immune to her powers of demotion.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”