Eligible Original Songs

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Bruce Springsteen songs from 'The Wrestler'? That ain't bad.

The end title credits song from 'WALL*E' is the worst thing in the movie, just a classless piece of Oscar baiting trash that reminds me just how better Randy Newman is at this stuff. I think Thomas Newman is probably a safe bet for the score though and does his most inventive work since 'American Beauty' and at least now in my mind deserves a win.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Forgetting Sarah Marshall has four original songs: "Dracula's Lament"; "Inside of You", "We've Got to Do Something" and "A Taste for Love".
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Emmylou Harris has composed and performs "In Rodanthe," from the Richard Gere/Diane Lane schmaltzfest. The song is pretty good, the movie...not so much.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Cinemanolis wrote:Sex and the City - performed by Jennifer Hudson
My Blueberry Nights - performed by Norah Jones
Wall-e
Actually, Norah Jones' song from MBBN is "The Story", a great song, a personal favorite but I don't see it getting a nod.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

If my sleuthing is correct, there are two songs from Sex and the City that are original; I've not seen the film, so I don't know if they would fit the eligibility criteria:

"Labels or Love" -- performed by Fergie

"All Dressed Up in Love" -- performed by Jennifer Hudson

Oh, and I believe all of the songs in Les Chansons d'Amour are original--they were all written by Alex Beaupain.

Edited By Penelope on 1222377818
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Totally agree about the songs from Chansons D'Amour, even though i don't know which ones are original.

If i am not mistaken there are also original songs in

Sex and the City - performed by Jennifer Hudson
My Blueberry Nights - performed by Norah Jones
Wall-e

Also coming up are songs from
Quantrum of Solace (which is awful)
The Wrestler song with Bruce Springsteen

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1222376741
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Will we get another list of eligible songs this year? This is always the most difficult category for me, since I never know what is eligible, or even what might be original. One thing I do know, none of the songs in Mamma Mia! are eligible!

But, the songs from another musical, Les Chansons d'Amour, are eligible (my favorite is the final number, "J'ai cru entendre"). So are, I believe, "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" from Hamlet 2 and "Screw the Man" from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Do we know of any other tunes that might be eligible thus far?

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”