Eligible Original Songs

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

In 2005, it was all about "So Long and Thanks for All The Fish." That production number would've been awesome.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:the only time i heard the song was the live performance, so maybe the quality of the song is better in the movie. what i heard on that fateful night was awful.

Did you listen to the other two nominees that year? Phew!
well, the interpretive dancing for the song from CRASH was ridiculous, but the song did not bother me -- nor did it impress me.

maybe i am just a big 'mo, but dolly's performance that night was fun and the song is adorable. it also may exist outside of the plot of the movie, but its lyrics actually related back to what TRANSAMERICA was about.

i am still upset "a love that will never grow old" by emmylou harris was not nominated. the song is beautiful -- lyrics, music, vocals. i know it was disqualified on a technicality. so silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn64_y0A3PI

i still say just have performances of songs, but get rid of the category. especially if this year we have to deal with one of the songs from HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 winning.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rolotomasi99 wrote:the only time i heard the song was the live performance, so maybe the quality of the song is better in the movie. what i heard on that fateful night was awful.
Did you listen to the other two nominees that year? Phew!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:I think Flipp's point is that, no matter your personal opinion, the win for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" wasn't widely seen as a debacle. I think most people saw the surprise win as a hip choice, showing the Academy's willingness to embrace hip-hop.

exactly! that is a great point the original bj. i had not really thought about what their motives might have been for picking that song.

it is kind of like how picking CRASH for best picture made a statement about the academy's concern and commitment to fight racism. CRASH has to be one of the most political choices for best picture. they could not bring themselves to pick the gay love story (which is different from a gay political movie like PHILADELPHIA), so they went with the movie that "really had something to say about racism." pat yourselves on the back academy, you went with message over quality or artistry.

that horrid song was all about, "look how cool we are. first eminem, now three 6 mafia. we are so freakin' hip!!!" ugh. once again, the academy was more concerned with their image than recognizing a song of quality.

the only time i heard the song was the live performance, so maybe the quality of the song is better in the movie. what i heard on that fateful night was awful. i had no favorite in that race, but when i heard "it's hard out here for a pimp" i immediately knew which song did not deserve to win.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1226685482
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think Flipp's point is that, no matter your personal opinion, the win for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" wasn't widely seen as a debacle. I think most people saw the surprise win as a hip choice, showing the Academy's willingness to embrace hip-hop.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:it is a great song the way CRASH is a great movie. you are totally free to hold those opinions. i just found it painful.

That's a totally baseless comparison, but whatever.
i am not saying liking that song is the same as liking CRASH, but they both came from the same year...and those two wins were the biggest disappointments of the night for me. they will be forever linked in my mind as two horrible oscar choices occurring at the same ceremony.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:it is a great song the way CRASH is a great movie. you are totally free to hold those opinions. i just found it painful.
That's a totally baseless comparison, but whatever.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:i would just die if the oscars nominated "screw the man" for an oscar. if they can give the oscar to a song called "it's hard out here for a pimp" they can certainly give us this nomination to apologize for that debacle.

Why was that a "debacle", exactly? It's a great song. And, unlike many other Best Original Song contenders that are tacked on to a film during the credits or have little to nothing to do with the plot, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" was integral to Hustle & Flow's storyline. In fact, it practically drove the entire plot of the film.
it is a great song the way CRASH is a great movie. you are totally free to hold those opinions. i just found it painful.

then again, i always found the song category ridiculous. other than the sometimes entertaining/sometimes painful live performances at the ceremony, picking the best song seemed the most pedestrian of all the oscar categories. more artistry goes into the sound design or visual effects than goes into modern day movie songs, imho.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:i would just die if the oscars nominated "screw the man" for an oscar. if they can give the oscar to a song called "it's hard out here for a pimp" they can certainly give us this nomination to apologize for that debacle.

Why was that a "debacle", exactly? It's a great song. And, unlike many other Best Original Song contenders that are tacked on to a film during the credits or have little to nothing to do with the plot, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" was integral to Hustle & Flow's storyline. In fact, it practically drove the entire plot of the film.

On another note (and because I can't find a specific thread devoted to this category), I'd like to say that I'm pushing Clint Eastwood's score of Changeling for Best Original Score. I downloaded it and I think it's simply a beautiful piece of work that judiciously complements the film in a restrained and haunting fashion.

Edited By flipp525 on 1226599399
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i already said this in the NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST thread, but it bears repeating.

i would just die if the oscars nominated "screw the man" for an oscar. if they can give the oscar to a song called "it's hard out here for a pimp" they can certainly give us this nomination to apologize for that debacle.

how could a song with these lyrics not gives us one of the best oscar moments ever?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlIfa_TmLc
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Penelope wrote:
anonymous wrote:Don't forget High School Musical 3: Senior Year. It has 10 new original songs. Rule states only two from the same movie can get a nomination though.

Oh, dear god/allah/Kate Winslet! But you know at least 1 song will be nominated--just to give an extra boost to the ratings as the tween fans will want to see Zac and company performing at the Oscars.
If any song from HSM 3 is nominated, i m not going to watch The Oscar Ceremony..

(It's not true, but i feel better by saying this..)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

anonymous wrote:Don't forget High School Musical 3: Senior Year. It has 10 new original songs. Rule states only two from the same movie can get a nomination though.
Oh, dear god/allah/Kate Winslet! But you know at least 1 song will be nominated--just to give an extra boost to the ratings as the tween fans will want to see Zac and company performing at the Oscars.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Which reminds me- how many times has a sequel to a tv-only movie had a theatrical release?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Don't forget High School Musical 3: Senior Year. It has 10 new original songs. Rule states only two from the same movie can get a nomination though.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla wrote:Forgetting Sarah Marshall has four original songs: "Dracula's Lament"; "Inside of You", "We've Got to Do Something" and "A Taste for Love".
Dracula's Lament, definitely. Jason Segel should perform it too.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”