Animated Feature Finalists

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry about that, I thought you'd said "were" expected, not indicating they weren't. But, I did expect Spirited Away to win, at least.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:Happy Feet wasn't a foregone conclusion. A lot of people, myself included, thought it might lose.
Isn't that what I said?

I thought it would lose too.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

If Waltz with Bashir misses out, it will be to either Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! or Bolt. WALL-E and Kung Fu Panda have nominations in the bag, and WALL-E is going to run away with the award.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

The main difference between previously nominated foreign animation pieces and Waltz With Bashir, as I understand it (I have not seen it yet) is that the latter film is much more clearly meant for grown-ups and mature teens. It's rated R, like a Scanner Darkly, Waking Life, Paprika and Renaissance whereas the Miyazakis were PG and both Triplets of Belleville and Persepolis PG-13, and featured young characters.

It may be that the Academy is gradually becoming more accepting of the idea of honoring not-for-kids animation. If Waltz With Bashir is nominated here, we'll know that it has. But there is no precedent for an R-rated movie to be named in this category. Which is why I'd call Kung Fu Panda a far more strongly locked-in nomination.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

.... I like it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Happy Feet wasn't a foregone conclusion. A lot of people, myself included, thought it might lose.

As for Tale of Despereaux, you should really watch the trailer for it. The animation may be strong, but it looks godawful.

http://www.oscarguy.com/Previews/Annual/2008/Despereaux.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think Kung Fu Panda is a near lock for a nod. It's actually quite a solidly acclaimed film and had a great run at the box office, whereas Bashir has some serious detractors, in terms of both actual animation and storytelling.

Additionally, I think The Tales of Despereaux is just the film that could replace Waltz.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The animation quality of The Tale of Despereaux looks pretty good, and I've seen billboards around LA for a while now. If it's a holiday season hit, it might pose a threat.

Also, perhaps I'm wrong, but early reviews for Waltz with Bashir haven't been nearly as uniformly positive as those for Spirited Away, Triplets, Persepolis. I still think it'll make it in, but if there's a late-breaking surprise somewhere, I think it could be the one to fall.

What's truly become boring about this category is how perennially, the winner is such a foregone conclusion. I think Spirited Away and Happy Feet are the only winners not everyone on the planet predicted. This year? The winner is as obvious as it ever was.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jimmy Neutron is a poor example, IMO. That was in the first year of voting. Since then, whenever there has been a critically acclaimed animated film, usually foreign in origin, that was made outside the Hollywood system, it has been nominated.

2002: Spirited Away
2003: Triplets of Belleville
2005: Howl's Moving Castle
2007: Persepolis

2004 saw Shark Tale sneak in, not because there weren't other extra-Hollywood features in the running, but none of them had any prestige. If any film was snubbed that year, it was Polar Express, playing into the branch's anti-motion capture animation bias.

2006 was the only time motion capture anim made a nomination, but it was because it wasn't trying for a realistic look, but was trying for a more animated look. Monster House was a fairly certain nominee all along and if there was a film it beat out in terms of popularity, it was Over the Hedge. Yes, there were a couple of high profile foreign entries that year: Paprika and Renaissance, but they weren't the critics darlings that A Scanner Darkly was, which failed for the same reasons Polar Express did.

So, this year, Bolt's potential for inclusion. But, the film, from the previews, does NOT look like a great movie, so the argument it will be a critical success is hard to fathom. It could be similar to Shark Tale, but the reason, I think, Waltz with Bashir isn't in any danger is that it has the foreign lingo pedigree, along with boatloads of controversy over its failed inclusion in Best Documentary. It is almost identical to Perspolis last year.

Bashir isn't the film in danger. It's Kung Fu Panda. But, what stands in Kung Fu Panda's way of being deported is the fact that the two big animation studios that have managed nominations in almost every year since the category's inception are Disney/Pixar and DreamWorks.

But, since Bolt is Disney, it's possible it could do well as it's the only film in this line up with spoiler potential, but the film getting knocked out won't be Bashir. It will be Panda, IMO...largely based on The Simpsons snub.

Wall-E and Waltz with Bashir are the two films most likely to pick up crix' year-end accolades.
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I say if Bolt is both a critical and commercial hit, Waltz with Bashir is in trouble.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Kung Fu Panda', 'Waltz with Bashir' and 'WALL*E' for the win. Honestly, if one movie is out then it's 'Waltz with Bashir' just on the basis of snobbery. In which case, look for the most anonymous film to take its place.
"How's the despair?"
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Two words: Jimmy Neutron.

Okay five more words: The snub of The Simpsons.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think you're right OG, those seem to be in the bag. There is potential for another high-grossing feature to take Panda's spot (like Madagascar, Horton, or the upcoming Bolt) but it's unlikely IMO.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it's very unlikely that any films other than Wall-E, Waltz with Bashir and Kung Fu Panda will be able to earn nominations.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

With only 14 eligible films, there will be a max of 3 nominees.

Beverly Hills, CA — Fourteen features have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category for the 81st Academy Awards®.

The 14 submitted features are:

“Bolt”
“Delgo”
“Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!”
“Dragon Hunters”
“Fly Me to the Moon”
“Igor”
“Kung Fu Panda”
“Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa”
“$9.99”
“The Sky Crawlers”
“Sword of the Stranger”
“The Tale of Despereaux”
“WALL-E”
“Waltz with Bashir”

“Bolt,” “Delgo,” “Dragon Hunters,” “$9.99,” “The Sky Crawlers,” “The Tale of Despereaux” and “Waltz with Bashir” have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying run. Submitted features must fulfill the theatrical release requirements and meet all of the category’s other qualifying rules before they can advance in the voting process.

Under the rules for this category, a maximum of 3 films can be nominated in a year in which the field of eligible entries numbers at least 8 but fewer than 16.

Films submitted in the Animated Feature Film category also may qualify for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided they meet the requirements for those categories.

The 81st Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2008 will be presented on Sunday, February 22, 2009, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

# # #
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”