Foreign Film Submissions

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Gomorra has been acquired in my country and will be released next year.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:I also suspect the the Italian entry may be Il Divo, probably the most acclaimed Italian film of the year. Can't wait to see it for myself next month.
Il Divo is also my favorite Italian film of the year, and certainly one of the two great Italian films of 2008. Absolutely brilliant. Yet it hasn't been selected to represent Italy at the Oscars, maybe (I must admit) for the right reason; the Academy, or generally speaking Americans, wouldn't understand much about the bizarreness of Italian politics, and especially the uniqueness of a politician, of a human being like Giulio Andreotti (a true Italian phenomenon, and one which would really be unthinkable in any other country).

So today they have officially picked Italy's entry, and it's Matteo Garrone's Gomorra, the OTHER great Italian film of this year. For once, a truly good Italian movie, one that I don't have to be ashamed of, will represent my country at the Oscars. It could even be nominated; it definitely won't win.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Argentina will select its official entry next thursday. I´ll keep you informed.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think India has selected Taaray Zameen Par (Stars on Earth) as their official entry. A film produced and directed by Aamir Khan (of Lagaan fame). He also plays an important supporting role in the film.

This film swept most of the awards in India last year and made a star out of the buck toothed child actor - Darsheel Safary.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Waltz with Bashir has just won the best picture award at the Ophirs tonight, so it is the Israeli entry. It was the big winner, with best director going to Ari Folman along with a bunch of other awards. No acting awards, naturally. Speaking of which – best actress went to Hiam Abbass (Munich, The Visitor) for Lemon Tree. Best actor went to young Michael Moshonov, the son of UAADB's favorite Moni Moshonov (Late Marriage, We Own the Night).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

France is sending The Class.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

“The Home of the Dark Butterflies,” helmed by Dome Karukoski, has been picked as the Finnish entry for the foreign-language film Oscar.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The South Korean submission Crossing is embroiled in controversy as it has been accused of plagiarism. The Korean Film Council will select another submission if Crossing is found guilty when the issue comes to court.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
cam wrote:Passchendaale Canada

Is this film known as The Necessities of Life?

I don't think so; I presume it's this film, although it's primarily in English, so is it really eligible?
Sorry Guys, I Found this information from :http://www.emanuellevy.com

Oscar 2008: Necessities of Life is Canada's Entry to Foreign-Language Oscar
Sep 16, 2008--Canada has submitted Montreal director Benoit Pilon's "The Necessities of Life," a French-and Innu-language film about an Inuit hunter with tuberculosis in 1950s Quebec, for consideration in the Academy Awards' foreign-language film category.

The film world premiered at the recent Montreal World Film Festival and is playing in cinemas in Quebec. It stars Natar Ungalaaq ("Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner") as the Inuit man with TB who is taken from his home in the far North and brought to a sanatorium in Quebec City. The feature examinest the culture clash that occurs when he arrives at the sanatorium.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'll be very surprised if the French don't select Dany Boon's Welcome to the Sticks. Apparently it is the most successful French film every made. I just saw it tonight and found it very charming.

I also suspect the the Italian entry may be Il Divo, probably the most acclaimed Italian film of the year. Can't wait to see it for myself next month.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The category is foreign language not foreign country so if it's a French Canadian film in which French, not English is spoken, it's eligible, if not, it's out of luck.

Remember The Band's Visit last year? The Israeli film was declared ineligible because the film, which is about an Egyptian orchestra in Israel, in which the Egyptians speak Arabic and the Israelis speak Hebrew amongst themselves, but communicate with each other in English was declared ineligible because it contained too much English!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1221628821
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I am not aware: if the film is is English, but Canadian, is it not foreign?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:

I don't think so; I presume it's this film, although it's primarily in English, so is it really eligible?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Bangladesh-Aha!
Brazil-Last Stop 174
Colombia-Dog Eat Dog

Edited By Hustler on 1221624389

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”