Foreign Film Submissions

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

ITALIANO wrote:(and, for the joy of teenage girls, Riccardo Scamarcio, the new Raoul Bova).
No one will replace Raoul Bova!!!
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

anonymous wrote:Sweden didn't pick Let the Right One In? Damn. I've been hearing great things about it. Saw the preview. Can't wait to see it.

Oh, well. I doubt a vampire movie will be their cup of tea anyway.

Too true, but I'm concerned that this will not come out at all. Apparently it has been picked up by some film company. Don't they tend to burry the original and promote their copy? I truly think that this would be successful in a general release in the US - even with sub-titles. It has a great look and feel to it. Sweden in the winter is creepy looking all on it's own.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

OscarGuy wrote:Captain Abu Raed - Jordan

Are you certain that Jordan has submitted this? I don't see it listed at Film Experience. It is a great film and was praised by everyone who saw it at the Vancouver Film Fest.

Dunya And Desie is a lot of fun but stands little chance with the Academy.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Heksagon wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Last weeekend Venezuela choose Alejandro Bellame's first film, "El tinte de la fama" (Fame's Dye), the first film of Alejandro Bellame. The film was made seven years ago, but saw distribution in the country just last year. It beated some ten other films out.
I didn't catch it. However, considering the main storyline, I don't think it would get a nod...

Is there a reason why the film had to wait seven years for distribution?...

The Director's official statement was that the delay was due "to economic conditions in the country and even due to personal reasons" with no further comments.

The film is about a TV Show in search for a Marilyn Monroe look-alike with a prize of 25000$ and it focuss on the lives of two characters: a girl whose life resembles in some way the Diva's own and an aging transexual man who actually believes this girl is the reincarnation of Marilyn and tries to get her to the show. So, there's no political or censorship issue here...

However, we does have had a few circumstances when censorship has prevailed over quality in the selection of a film to represent us at the Oscar. The worst time ever, the failure of "Secuestro Express" in 2005 to grab that spot. A high quality film, one that I can recommend without any hesitation was overdue for a political censorship from our beloved president who was offended by A SINGLE shot at the beggining of the film... the jury was too scared to make the right choice.

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1222725684
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Bosnia and Herzegovina-Snow (Snijeg)
Bulgaria-Zift
Chile-Tony Manero
China-Dream Weavers
Czech Republic-Karamazov
Hong Kong-Hua Pi or Wa Pei (Painted Skin)
Iceland-White Night Wedding
Iran-The Song of Sparrows
Kyrgyzstan-Tengri
Luxembourg-Nuits D´Arabie
México-Arráncame la Vida
Morocco-Adieu Méres
Norway-O´Horten
Palestine-Salt of this Sea
Poland-Sztuczki
Russia-The Mermaid
Serbia-The Tour
Slovakia-Blind Loves
Slovenia-Rooster´s Breakfast
South Korea-Keurosing
Spain-Los Girasoles Ciegos (The Blind Sunflowers)
Switzerland-Der Freund
Turkey-Three Monkeys
Vietnam-Black Forest
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hustler wrote:Argentina have chosen Leonera directed by Pablo Trapero. The movie was in Cannes this year in the official competition.
Lion´s Den will be it´s international title.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Last weeekend Venezuela choose Alejandro Bellame's first film, "El tinte de la fama" (Fame's Dye), the first film of Alejandro Bellame. The film was made seven years ago, but saw distribution in the country just last year. It beated some ten other films out.
I didn't catch it. However, considering the main storyline, I don't think it would get a nod...
Is there a reason why the film had to wait seven years for distribution?...
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Argentina have chosen Leonera directed by Pablo Trapero. The movie was in Cannes this year in the official competition.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Like the first, with the added bonus of Monica Bellucci (and, for the joy of teenage girls, Riccardo Scamarcio, the new Raoul Bova).
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Mio Fratello è Figlio Unico is a good movie. Manuale d'Amore was one of those typical all-star-cast Italian movies, better done than others though, and so successful at the box-office that it led, the following year, to an even more star-studded follow-up, Manuale D'Amore 2. Not a work of art but, as Penelope said, likable.
And what about the second part?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mio Fratello è Figlio Unico is a good movie. Manuale d'Amore was one of those typical all-star-cast Italian movies, better done than others though, and so successful at the box-office that it led, the following year, to an even more star-studded follow-up, Manuale D'Amore 2. Not a work of art but, as Penelope said, likable.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:You will like it.

yep, I´m pretty sure about that. BTW I´ve recently watched two italian movies. One of them, I liked it a lot, it is Daniele Luchetti´s Mio Fratello e Figlio Unico. The second one wasn´t good enough: Manuale D´Amore.
Ha! I saw Manuale d'amore on an Alitalia flight from Europe back in 2005; not a great movie, but fun and entertaining, with a likable cast.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:You will like it.

yep, I´m pretty sure about that. BTW I´ve recently watched two italian movies. One of them, I liked it a lot, it is Daniele Luchetti´s Mio Fratello e Figlio Unico. The second one wasn´t good enough: Manuale D´Amore.

Edited By Hustler on 1222311832
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Last weeekend Venezuela choose Alejandro Bellame's first film, "El tinte de la fama" (Fame's Dye), the first film of Alejandro Bellame. The film was made seven years ago, but saw distribution in the country just last year. It beated some ten other films out.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

You will like it.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”